collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The kids are alright  (Read 5438 times)

Offline jwarry

The kids are alright
« on: August 20, 2017, 11:52:46 AM »
Thought they deserve a thread if their own. There is no doubt this latest crop are giving us our only bit of optimism but does everybody think they are the best crop we've had for years?  Davis, RHM and and Green look the real deal up top, O,Hare, Doyle-Hayes and Lyden look able midfielders, and a few defenders starting to come through such as Bree, Toner and Suliman  though they always take longer, and of course not forgetting Jack making 10. 

You never win anything with kids was debunked by Sir Alex years ago, I say throw them in and give us something to shout about

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
Re: The kids are alright
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 12:02:29 PM »
Would like to see O'Hare on the bench and I think RHM has real potential, if he can just stay fit.

Assume Bree will start instead of Hutton for our next league game.

With Davis doing so well, you wonder what will happen when Kodija is available again.

Haven't seen Doyle-Hayes or Sulieman, or much of Toner and Lyden.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 12:06:09 PM »
On the few occasions I've watch the youth on avtv, Doyle-Hales has looked a very tidy player.

Online Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 12:52:43 PM »
Kodjia and Davis could be an exceptional combo

Offline Villa75

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 01:00:58 PM »
It certainly looks promising, on the basis of yesterday.

Fingers crossed we get a good few through asap, as it looks like we're currently limited with spending.

Yet to be convinced that Bruce is that man to take this 'next generation' forward, if that's what they are, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 02:05:58 PM »
Thought the lads Houllier brought through were all quite decent, to varying degrees (or at least they all eventually kicked on after they left us) - Albrighton, Clark, Bannan, Hogg.

Like what we've seen so far from the current lot though - we'll see if Bruce is bold enough to keep them involved even when he doesn't necessarily have to.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 02:27:31 PM »
Thought the lads Houllier brought through were all quite decent, to varying degrees (or at least they all eventually kicked on after they left us) - Albrighton, Clark, Bannan, Hogg.

Like what we've seen so far from the current lot though - we'll see if Bruce is bold enough to keep them involved even when he doesn't necessarily have to.

I agree and at times they played some nice football, but this crop seem a cut above. Will have to go some to beat the crop of 1972 though (Jake Findlay, John Gidman, Bobby McDonald, Alan Little, Jimmy Brown, Tony Betts, and Sir Brian Little)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 02:58:22 PM »

Agreed. Could be the most exciting forward line in the league.

Offline KRS

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 03:07:45 PM »

Agreed. Could be the most exciting forward line in the league.
Thirded. I suggested this yesterday and if we sign Gallagher then that gives us further combo options with Hogan too.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 03:53:09 PM »

This was probably the best 'batch' and before that Cahill, Davis, Gardner

Way too early to call for me. Though interesting that they're mostly 18-19 year olds. Only really Grealish and Lyden have come through and been retained at the 21-22 bracket. Though I think we should have kept Robinson

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 09:48:09 PM »
And Johnson.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 09:54:37 PM »
Can we nip the whole "he's one of our own" nonsense for Davis in the bud though please - he grew up in London and has spent less than 18 months in our youth team.  It makes us sound ridiculous.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 09:56:32 PM »
Can add Sarkic to the list above, I've been very impressed by him.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 10:01:29 PM »
Can we nip the whole "he's one of our own" nonsense for Davis in the bud though please - he grew up in London and has spent less than 18 months in our youth team.  It makes us sound ridiculous.

I wasn't really referring to our academy as much as having a crop of young players. Not bothered whether they've been K Mac'd it's just that we suddenly seem to have found a seam

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 06:19:40 AM »

I wasn't really referring to our academy as much as having a crop of young players. Not bothered whether they've been K Mac'd it's just that we suddenly seem to have found a seam

Sorry, it was more in response to the chant at Villa Park on Saturday rather than this thread.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal