collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Jack Grealish by Ads
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: Jack Grealish by kieron
[Today at 07:21:31 AM]

Re: Jack Grealish by ROBBO
[Today at 07:12:45 AM]

Re: Tom Fox announced as new Villa CEO by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 01:36:26 AM]

Re: Meaning Evil. Stirring trouble by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:52:09 AM]

Re: Tom Fox announced as new Villa CEO by eamonn
[Today at 12:51:16 AM]

Re: Chelsea Away by Brassneck
[Today at 12:17:31 AM]

Re: Chelsea Away by QuintonVilla
[November 18, 2019, 11:26:55 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Keinan Davis  (Read 61208 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

Re: Keinan Davis
« Reply #735 on: October 22, 2019, 12:55:24 PM »
Much to early to write a 21 year old off with as much pace and power as Davis.
I like him and believe he should be getting more game time and putting more pressure on Wesley.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #736 on: October 24, 2019, 02:44:01 AM »
Iíd like to see him get a chance, but itís the old story of him having to force his way into the team and then making himself difficult to drop. Same with any player really, injuries aside.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2020
« Reply #737 on: October 24, 2019, 06:06:08 PM »
Well, his contribution was insignficant on Saturday.
If he were a new Firmino, happy days! I just don't see that at all.

He is a good footballer and I'd love him to succeed .... but I'm not sure he's quite got it.

His shot helped win us three points. If it had been off target Brighton would've taken 40 seconds over the goal kick and it would've finished 1-1.
Fair enough, and I have always been a fan of Davis', actually: reading comparisons with Firmino, though, need reponding to because that takes the debate way ahead of itself.

Several posters talk about Davis as a 'contributor' rather than scorer: that is how Wesley has been described by people who have known his game previous to being with us. If this is true, we have a like-for-like in Davis and Wesley. At the moment, Wesley has the shirt, has scored 4 Premier League goals and last Saturday's assist in the first goal.
In this reality, Davis is not going to get a start anytime soon; you'd think.

Offline N'ZMAV

• Twitter
« Reply #738 on: October 24, 2019, 06:26:39 PM »
Heskey used to get slaughtered for being a contributor rather than a scorer.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #739 on: October 25, 2019, 06:38:51 AM »
The original false number nine, our Emule.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 15.06.2020
« Reply #740 on: October 25, 2019, 10:46:14 AM »

Still had an amazing career all told. Not saying Kienan is going to have even half of that but there's plenty of demand who there for strikers who don't score many goals.

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #741 on: October 25, 2019, 10:52:37 AM »

Still had an amazing career all told. Not saying Kienan is going to have even half of that but there's plenty of demand who there for strikers who don't score many goals.

Normally from teams who don't win very much.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #742 on: October 25, 2019, 11:02:15 AM »

In fairness the game has changed a lot since Heskey played for us. Different times.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #743 on: October 25, 2019, 11:20:23 AM »
I like him and believe he should be getting more game time and putting more pressure on Wesley.

Yet there are people who are happily writing off a 22 year old in Wesley - who is new to the league, country and team mates but up till Saturday had returned an average of 1:2

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #744 on: October 25, 2019, 02:07:04 PM »

Yet there are people who are happily writing off a 22 year old in Wesley - who is new to the league, country and team mates but up till Saturday had returned an average of 1:2
Jury still out for me, he is a long way off the finished article if he ever will be. I would like to see a bit more effort for a start.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 14.08.2020
« Reply #745 on: October 25, 2019, 08:24:57 PM »
I like Keinan Davis.

The thing with strikers is that there is the one big stat that stands above everything else, goals.  They can have a great game and do everything theyíre asked to do, but if they donít put it in the back of the net then thatís all people remember.  Itís the only position on the pitch where performance is judged solely on one stat.

Because of this, not scoring can have a big impact on confidence and itís much harder for them to prove themselves with cameo appearances off the bench.  They benefit more than most players from consistent starts.  A decent Prem striker will get you 12 or more goals a season.

This works out about a goal every 247 minutes of football.  To get that many minutes from substitute appearences would take 12 games or more. So itís far too early to judge a 21yo who is still developing and hasnít yet had the minutes to prove himself.

Online olaftab

• GM : 22.04.2020
« Reply #746 on: October 25, 2019, 08:28:28 PM »
He is still young so you never know but so far I have not seen anything in this lad to excite me.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #747 on: October 25, 2019, 10:21:04 PM »
Not so sure.

He is only 21 years old and although his scoring record of 2 goals in 39 appearances doesnít look at all impressive, his record of 2 goals in 3 England under 20 appearances is a bit better.
I have a feeling that a fair proportion of his Villa appearances have been for substitute cameos of 10 - 20 minutes. I canít remember him actually having a run in the team to find his feet, and I think he has looked a better player as time has gone on. He looks fitter and his movement is better.

I seem to remember a fair few players that we deemed not good enough or overrated at 21 that seem to have done OK in the end.

Exaccerly.  He's had one short run of starts (7 or 8?) under Bruceball, scored a couple, missed a couple.
To label him a "non-scoring striker" on the basis of that plus a bunch of 10-15 minute sub appearances seems somewhat premature if not daft.  His hold up play and general all round involvement looks better than Wesley's.  He makes more of a nuisance of himself.   I reckon if given a run of starts in this team, which creates a lot of chances instead of  hoofing it at his head, he'd get some goals like Wesley has.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 13.04.2020
« Reply #748 on: October 25, 2019, 11:03:34 PM »
And from what I remember (probably saw a limited amount, some streaming, some in the flesh)

He is still young so you never know but so far I have not seen anything in this lad to excite me.

I remember it being exciting that Bruce has stumbled across a man who we were impressed was holding the ball up and bringing people into the game unexpectedly well. Maybe it was low expectations, but I recall excitement when he got that run

Offline in exile

• GM : 25.06.2019
« Reply #749 on: October 26, 2019, 03:26:32 PM »
He will start against Wolves on Wednesday evening