collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Manager suggestions - Now with added poll  (Read 139780 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Manager suggestions - Now with added poll
« Reply #1200 on: September 16, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »
Urs Fischer former Basel coach won the double last season and Basel were good under him in Europe.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1201 on: September 16, 2017, 09:23:15 AM »
Sammy Lee, Ryland Morgans and Orlando Trustfull are available now.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1202 on: September 16, 2017, 09:46:30 AM »
the last two sound like shady shit to me

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #1203 on: September 16, 2017, 09:54:04 AM »
It's almost as if, when you're in division two and part way trough a season, there's such a limited pool of managers to pick from that it's hard to pick your philosophy and then a manager to suit

Exactly. Which is the point many of us made in the summer as to why Bruce needed sacking then. It was always likely that we'd go on another shite run before Xmas, sack Bruce and then start choosing from a very limited pool of available managers. Had we acted in May we'd have had a far better chance of enticing someone already in a job.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1204 on: September 16, 2017, 10:09:09 AM »
Yeah - and you may have been right and I may have been wrong, in hindsight (your foresight)

If we hadn't averaged a new manager per season for 5 years I might prize stability less. But there must be some argument that more changes - including no doubt more on the playing side - is the last thing we need

The truth is I just don't know. If we don't improve rapidly he'll have to go, and I'll be hoping for a more progressive manager like everyone else
I
But it will be hope and not expectation of a turnaround

If a Chris Hughton, Eddie Howe or whoever does become available then I'll be much more inclined to get rid

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 10:11:31 AM by Matt Collins »

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #1205 on: September 16, 2017, 10:34:18 AM »
Yeah - and you may have been right and I may have been wrong, in hindsight (your foresight)

If we hadn't averaged a new manager per season for 5 years I might prize stability less. But there must be some argument that more changes - including no doubt more on the playing side - is the last thing we need

The truth is I just don't know. If we don't improve rapidly he'll have to go, and I'll be hoping for a more progressive manager like everyone else
I
But it will be hope and not expectation of a turnaround

If a Chris Hughton, Eddie Howe or whoever does become available then I'll be much more inclined to get rid

The thing is though, haven't we been at the "he has to go if we don't improve rapidly soon" stage for absolutely ages now? I'd say enough time has passed for one to conclude that it's not happening.

And once you've reached that conclusion, you quite obviously have to get someone in, and the possibility that it might not work out shouldn't be a discouraging factor whatsoever.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1206 on: September 16, 2017, 10:49:53 AM »
Not for me. He always deserved a chance to see how the season starts. The only question is what's a reasonable run of games to make that judgement

Offline littleoldme

« Reply #1207 on: September 16, 2017, 11:02:27 AM »
I think his chance to show his mettle at running our club is over.
Now that he has gone all DOL on us,its a sign of a man in retreat,which seems to be what he has stamped on the team,his team,his own persona out on the pitch,and that for me is why he must move over and let someone else have a go.
Shame,as until recently i liked the man,but the job is beyond him,and it shows.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1208 on: September 16, 2017, 11:02:42 AM »
Not for me. He always deserved a chance to see how the season starts. The only question is what's a reasonable run of games to make that judgement
Genuine question Matt, and not having a go at you because your position has been clear and you have defended that admirably, but do you not also look at the long term results and performances say, since Christmas? I think most who want change, including me, see the fact the nothing has changed over a long run of games, across 2 different seasons. It is certainly not a knee jerk reaction to few crap results this season.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1209 on: September 16, 2017, 11:07:14 AM »
I'm not arguing last season was good enough - it was shit

I think it may depend what we all consider 'par' to be.

Last year, some looked at the ££ spent and thought we should right up there. I never thought that was realistic. I wanted to see signs we were becoming a good team by the end of the season, which we didn't. So Bruce was sub-par heading into the season and needed a big improvement

But I didn't think he merited the sack last year. Turning around this clubs after 6 years of shambolic decline  is a huge task.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1210 on: September 16, 2017, 11:15:21 AM »
2 wins in 13, near relegation form in 2017, mid midtable form since he arrived, currently 1 place higher in the table than we were the day he arrived. His 42 league games have produced 59 points and 44 league goals. However you want to look at it, he's been a total failure.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #1211 on: September 16, 2017, 11:30:29 AM »

Last year, some looked at the ££ spent and thought we should right up there. I never thought that was realistic. I wanted to see signs we were becoming a good team by the end of the season, which we didn't. So Bruce was sub-par heading into the season and needed a big improvement

But I didn't think he merited the sack last year. Turning around this clubs after 6 years of shambolic decline  is a huge task.

You must have been mystified or even apoplectic at RDM's sacking, I would assume?

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #1212 on: September 16, 2017, 11:45:00 AM »
2 wins in 13, near relegation form in 2017, mid midtable form since he arrived, currently 1 place higher in the table than we were the day he arrived. His 42 league games have produced 59 points and 44 league goals. However you want to look at it, he's been a total failure.

I don't think it was a failure last season but it certainly wasn't successful enough to have enough credit in the bank for this seasons dismal start. If he'd got us to the playoffs and failed or even 7th I think I'd be saying this could be a blip and give him more time but that wasn't the case. Big picture wise, this is the time for the last chance.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1213 on: September 16, 2017, 11:49:38 AM »

You must have been mystified or even apoplectic at RDM's sacking, I would assume?

I thought i was very early. But he was a less sensible choice than Bruce appeared to be on paper, in the first place

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1214 on: September 16, 2017, 12:04:55 PM »

I thought i was very early. But he was a less sensible choice than Bruce appeared to be on paper, in the first place
"less sensible". Hmmm - actually, I thought the RDM / Steve Clarke combo was very clever. At the time, RDM had some credibility as a cool-headed manager and Clarke was regarded as a very good coach - it was an idea that may have been spectacularly successful. Unfortunately, a combination of the old Prem players not performing and there apparently being no real game-plan did for them both.
I was all in favour of them going after that deadful Preston game but hindsight suggests maybe we should have stuck with them and accepted that it would take a season to get properly ready for a promotion challenge. But there again, may be not!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal