collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Manager suggestions - Now with added poll  (Read 139129 times)

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
Re: Manager suggestions
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2017, 11:57:16 AM »
The biggest fucking mentalist bastard you can find who'll whip these fucking wastes of space into shape.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2017, 11:58:34 AM »
We need a Ron Saunders type who love sexy football and have modern tactics and methods.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »
Someone who knows how long he's been in the job would be nice.

Someone who has a vague idea of what tactics we will use and what style of play we'll be using.

I'd like Dean Smith but would hate to think of a Villa man looking on the brink of despair in 12 months because he can't get a tune out of those lazy, fat wasters.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 12:12:43 PM »
We need a Ron Saunders type who love sexy football and have modern tactics and methods.

I think Ray Graydon retired.

Sean Dyche at Burnley is the obvious one, but can't see it happening (plus he payed money for Westwood).

Jocanivic seems pretty good, Karanka did well at Boro.

Allerdyce would get us promoted.

Dean Smith would be a popular choice, but not sure he is ready for the step up yet.

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 12:17:03 PM »
BFR

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 12:22:31 PM »
John Sitton

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2017, 12:23:15 PM »
I get the similarities to the Bruce appointment but I do think there is a difference in that Bruce plays the same and is reluctant to change. Don't forget he doesn't believe in tactics or whatever he said. With Allardyce, we will assess each game, the oppositions weaknesses. He did play long ball at Bolton because that was the effective method at that time. He didn't play that way all the time at West Ham or with Defoe up front at Sunderland. I really think he has more tactical knowledge than Bruce and would get us up.

He's a completely different prospect to Bruce. The only similarities are he's English and he's been around the block. He would have a definite pattern of play in mind and would have us fully prepared.

We're in a pickle that seemingly only Aston Villa could get itself into. We're going to have trouble attracting the Wagners and Jokanovics of this world, because why would they come here? Then, if we can tempt them to join, we are so impatient for any success they'll have around one season to get it right before they are hounded out like the others.

I fear their way of doing things will require longer-term rebuilding here - fine if we're already in the PL - but what we actually need right now is a short term fix to get us out of the Championship. The games are already running out.

We're caught between two worlds and may have to settle for an unattractive option (literally) like Allardyce to turn us into a team capable of going up, before we get that 'progressive' manager we need.

I think we need to do the rebuilding in the Championship. If you look at the most successful recent promoted teams (with the insane exception of Leicester), they did their groundwork in this division to be ready for the top division - Swansea, Bournemouth, Southampton, it's all based on long term planning. I want that. And I really don't want another 'well he'll get them organised' manager because that's just not enough.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2017, 12:26:07 PM »
Much as I love the idea of Dean Smith, I know a fair few Walsall fans who weren't fans of his, especially towards the end of his time there. Personally, I would like Jokanovic just because Fulham looked like such drivel when they first got relegated and now they look brilliant. That may not translate to the best results in the division but screw it, I want to be entertained by a Villa team again before I die.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2017, 12:32:27 PM »
Probably stating the bleeding obvious here, but in my opinion the coaching set up is just as, if not more so, important than who is actually in charge. I am reliably informed (this isn't me being all ITK by the way) that Bruce doesn't do all that much on the training ground - its taken by Clemence and Calderwood - and the question is, how good are they? My answer to that is 'not very'.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2017, 12:41:08 PM »
If bruce does go then the next appointment really will be our last roll of the dice.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2017, 12:42:34 PM »
Id go for the Fulham boss , don't think he is happy with his owners so could be a possibility

I liked Stam last year but as he wants Bacuna , Id cross him off.

Dean Smith's football style looks pretty good to be fair and he is Villa of course so would not be against this one but could see the board going for a Pardew , Moyes or Big Sam to be honest.

The Huddlesfield manager would only be possible if they are bottom 3 in Feb but then It will be too late for Villa by then anyway as we need to get up this season so SB needs going now.

If he's bottom 3 at Christmas then he probably isn't the right man.

I have absolutely no idea who I want but it has to be somebody with the strength of personality and more importantly character  required to handle the job without being an all mouth and nothing to back it up type like Sherwood. I take Monty's point about being entertained first and worry about the results later but unfortunately the business of football does not allow for that at a club the size of Villa.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2017, 12:46:46 PM »
There is no chance whatsoever that Dyche would come.  Others in a job would also be very difficult 2 games into the season.  We'll be really scraping the barrel if we pull the trigger now.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2017, 12:50:06 PM »
We need a dose of Sherwood's enthusiasm and gall coupled with an actual brain.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2017, 12:54:45 PM »
Jokanovic or Sean Dyche.

Why on earth would Dyche want to come?

Offline Tugby Villain

• Villa through thick and thin!!!
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2017, 12:55:09 PM »
We need a dose of Sherwood's enthusiasm and gall coupled with an actual brain.

Jockanavic it is, then.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal