collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Manager suggestions - Now with added poll  (Read 140076 times)

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Manager suggestions
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 11:13:07 AM »
Jokanovic or Smith please. At least when they fail we can remember not pining for nuclear war when we watch the match. The nuclear war might actually be the thing that prevents us from going up.

richtheholtender

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 11:14:17 AM »
I get the similarities to the Bruce appointment but I do think there is a difference in that Bruce plays the same and is reluctant to change. Don't forget he doesn't believe in tactics or whatever he said. With Allardyce, we will assess each game, the oppositions weaknesses. He did play long ball at Bolton because that was the effective method at that time. He didn't play that way all the time at West Ham or with Defoe up front at Sunderland. I really think he has more tactical knowledge than Bruce and would get us up.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 11:15:41 AM »
I get the similarities to the Bruce appointment but I do think there is a difference in that Bruce plays the same and is reluctant to change. Don't forget he doesn't believe in tactics or whatever he said. With Allardyce, we will assess each game, the oppositions weaknesses. He did play long ball at Bolton because that was the effective method at that time. He didn't play that way all the time at West Ham or with Defoe up front at Sunderland. I really think he has more tactical knowledge than Bruce and would get us up.

He would definitely be better than Bruce, but haven't we suffered enough?

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 11:15:46 AM »
Dr Tony essential interview questions:

Would you play Gabby? Yes. Fail.
Would you play Micah? Yes. Fail.
Would you buy five players for the same position? Yes. Fail.
Do you like. Steve Bruce's style of football? Yes. Fail.
Are you Alan Pardew.Yes. Fail.
Do you like U2? Yes. Fail.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 11:30:56 AM »

He would definitely be better than Bruce, but haven't we suffered enough?

More and more I'm feeling this. I want Villa to win every match, every trophy, every tackle, every best-pies-in-football competition. However, this Summer of Money has left me more disillusioned than ever (I read in today's Times that PSG are signing Mbappe for even more than they signed Neymar? Can that be right??). 'Success' for me doesn't just mean getting back to the Premier League and a return to glory days of plodding our way to 16th in a season resembling that old description of war as 'months of boredom punctuated by moments of extreme terror'.

If being in the top division realistically brings us no closer to actually achieving success, then all I want is entertainment and reason to hope that we might be fun to watch for a while to come. It just so happens that that style also brings results at least as well as anglo boredom, so why not try it?

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 11:37:05 AM »

He's a completely different prospect to Bruce. The only similarities are he's English and he's been around the block. He would have a definite pattern of play in mind and would have us fully prepared.

We're in a pickle that seemingly only Aston Villa could get itself into. We're going to have trouble attracting the Wagners and Jokanovics of this world, because why would they come here? Then, if we can tempt them to join, we are so impatient for any success they'll have around one season to get it right before they are hounded out like the others.

I fear their way of doing things will require longer-term rebuilding here - fine if we're already in the PL - but what we actually need right now is a short term fix to get us out of the Championship. The games are already running out.

We're caught between two worlds and may have to settle for an unattractive option (literally) like Allardyce to turn us into a team capable of going up, before we get that 'progressive' manager we need.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 11:40:34 AM »
Captain, Leader, Legend, Villa Manager.....

It'll happen.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 11:41:19 AM »
Dr Tony essential interview questions:

Would you play Gabby? Yes. Fail.
Would you play Micah? Yes. Fail.
Would you buy five players for the same position? Yes. Fail.
Do you like. Steve Bruce's style of football? Yes. Fail.
Are you Alan Pardew.Yes. Fail.
Do you like U2? Yes. Fail.

Would you play Alan Hutton? Yes. Fail
Would you give Alan Hutton a contract extension? Yes. Fail
Will you buy more midfielders and shunt them out to the left? Yes. Fail

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 11:41:50 AM »
Captain, Leader, Legend, Villa Manager.....

It'll happen.

If it did happen I'd say we've almost hit rock bottom in the comical club stakes.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 11:42:32 AM »
I was one of those who was relatively happy with the Bruce appointment but he's just as bad as the rest of them, when he was appointed there were quite a few on here who were obviously looking forward to being able to say "told you" when things didn't improve, I was one of those who thought he might turn things round and was probably the best we could get at the time.

The Fulham manager would be great wouldn't surprise me if Curbishley or Brian Little were the next manager of our basket case of a club. Or of course John fucking Terry.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 11:42:54 AM »
Jokanovic please. Do what it takes.

If not then Smith. But it will be Terry won't it.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 11:46:09 AM »
Will Terry be:

. The first full kit manager wanker?
. Pulis type trackies and trainers?
. Antonio Contre suited and booted?

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 11:49:23 AM »
Jokanovic for me - break the bank. Otherwise Karanka managed to get Middlesbrough up with a worse squad than we have.

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 11:51:38 AM »
Id go for the Fulham boss , don't think he is happy with his owners so could be a possibility

I liked Stam last year but as he wants Bacuna , Id cross him off.

Dean Smith's football style looks pretty good to be fair and he is Villa of course so would not be against this one but could see the board going for a Pardew , Moyes or Big Sam to be honest.

The Huddlesfield manager would only be possible if they are bottom 3 in Feb but then It will be too late for Villa by then anyway as we need to get up this season so SB needs going now.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 11:52:48 AM »
Jokanovic or Dean Smith for me 100%

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal