collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Hull City post match thread.  (Read 32408 times)

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
Re: Aston Villa v Hull City post match thread.
« Reply #315 on: August 07, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
Concerns from this game were again a safety-first approach from Bruce.

At 1-0 up, he simply will not change things, regardless of how we are playing, or how many warning signs there might be.

I don't see it being a ruthless enough approach to get us in the Top 2, he needs to be a lot more pro-active, especially when we have a bench containing midfield options most teams at this level could only dream of (Hourihane, Onomah, Green).

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #316 on: August 07, 2017, 10:27:48 AM »
Apparently having Samba up front is "something we've got in our armory now". I can feel the other teams in the division quaking in their boots.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #317 on: August 07, 2017, 10:28:54 AM »
I remember him rattling a 30 yarder off the bar, but I cannot recall another sitter.
Cant remember who against but sure I remember a header at the far post at VP last season?

Yeah Derby at home. Pretty sure there was another game where he fluffed a header at the back post.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #318 on: August 07, 2017, 10:29:33 AM »
Apparently having Samba up front is "something we've got in our armory now". I can feel the other teams in the division quaking in their boots.

Am I the only one that doesn't see a problem with this. If we have 5 minutes left and need to rattle a backline then no issues. If I ever see him start a game upfront then that's a completely different kettle of fish.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #319 on: August 07, 2017, 10:29:50 AM »

It made the last few minute entertaining but that really shouldn't be Plan A for changing the attack. However, given the bench picked by Bruce, it was

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #320 on: August 07, 2017, 10:33:46 AM »

Am I the only one that doesn't see a problem with this. If we have 5 minutes left and need to rattle a backline then no issues. If I ever see him start a game upfront then that's a completely different kettle of fish.

Plenty of managers do it. However plenty do it when there's an injury crisis and there's no one left to stick up front or if you're going out of a cup competition (Mourinho used to put Huth upfront in his first Chelsea spell).

I just thought doing it first game when you're setting your stall out for the season was a bit desperate.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #321 on: August 07, 2017, 10:34:07 AM »
Maybe it was a message to Tone about his lack of striking options. No forward on the bench with Kodjia injured and McCormack out of favour.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #322 on: August 07, 2017, 10:35:53 AM »
Preston at home. Didn't overly matter to the score as it was 0-0 and we then went 2-0 up, awful header mind.

The Derby one, which in fairness isn't the easiest of chances

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #323 on: August 07, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
Safety first approach was summed up by Flabby after the game when interviewed he said it was a mustn't lose game. The shit the bed tactics are deep set.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal