collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Takeover  (Read 12135 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Villa Takeover
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2018, 11:35:28 AM »
good, the sooner the better

Not necessarily, depends on who the buyer is. We could get the next Sheikh Mansour or the next George Reynolds.

That is my concern.  I think Lerner and Xia have been incompetent and naive, but despite the damage they have done to the club neither really smack me as particularly bad people.  If Xia is forced to sell and sell quickly then we could end up with any old charlatan.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2018, 12:11:45 PM »
so what - could they be any  worse than Randy and Tone?

Given that two years ago people were saying exactly that, minus the last two words doesn't that suggest that yes, they could?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 12:25:00 PM by Dave »

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2018, 12:21:13 PM »

Not necessarily, depends on who the buyer is. We could get the next Sheikh Mansour or the next George Reynolds.

That is my concern.  I think Lerner and Xia have been incompetent and naive, but despite the damage they have done to the club neither really smack me as particularly bad people.  If Xia is forced to sell and sell quickly then we could end up with any old charlatan.

Yep, 2 well meaning, incompetent buffoons that have got the club in this mess, Lerner to drag us down in the first place and Xia to kick us in the balls when down. At least Xia appears to be doing the right thing and selling up straight away, Lerner hanging onto us for 3-4 years longer than he should was unforgivable.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2018, 02:03:24 PM »

To be fair I believe Darlington had the best bogs in the league, with gold taps. We could also do with George Reynolds ability to crack open a few safes at the moment.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2018, 10:16:27 PM »
I think money can be made from football clubs and therefore buyers should be out there.

My simplified logic being that inflation of footballers' transfer fees must exceed most other metrics.  On that basis buy young players, coach them (lots), improve them and sell them on.

I'm not sure whether it was fluke but Chelsea spotted this, signing loads of youngsters, loaning them out across Europe.  It's the footballing equivalent of a developer land bagging a site, not intending to build on it, but knowing that inflation will increase it's value.

Weirdly, I'm not against it, despite the goal not immediately being to win cups.  It's sustainable and we'd have a plan of how to grow.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:25:20 AM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2018, 11:27:32 PM »

Yep, 2 well meaning, incompetent buffoons that have got the club in this mess, Lerner to drag us down in the first place and Xia to kick us in the balls when down. At least Xia appears to be doing the right thing and selling up straight away, Lerner hanging onto us for 3-4 years longer than he should was unforgivable.

because no one wanted to buy us.
 for some reason Villa seems a difficult club to shift and it wont be easy this time

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2018, 06:18:48 AM »

for some reason Villa seems a difficult club to shift and it wont be easy this time

We were bought twice in ten years. That's not hard to shift, surely?

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2018, 06:22:00 AM »
If it’s so hard to shift, drop the price to make it more attractive.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2018, 07:37:51 AM »
A second Division team with a boat load of debt, loss making and with a number of players with no or little resale value.
Then you have the Manager and a number of players with contractual obligations far and above their actual worth and making a return to profitability even more difficult.
We will be starting in a league where every year we will be competing with clubs with vastly superior financial power and that’s even before we consider the implications of FFP.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2018, 07:48:02 AM »
If security had had to regularly break up rumbles between hedge fund owners who'd been duking it out in the North Stand car park over who gets to own us, then I wouldn't disagree, paulie.

But we were sold once after twenty five years, and then ten later by a bloke who wanted out after four.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2018, 12:39:14 PM »
I would have thought for anyone to buy us, it must be a long term plan of 5-10 years to get back to any type of success. Does anyone want to invest a lot of money in that period and wait for it to happen.

I cannot see the financial returns for a short term plan of getting promotion and selling on.

The long term plan works if running the club is alongside another business and you are probably not looking for the need of winning things but only showing sustainable progression.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2018, 02:16:09 PM »

We were bought twice in ten years. That's not hard to shift, surely?

didn’t Randy have the club up for sale for about 3 years and in all that time the best he could do was Xia the enigma

even then he kept dropping the price he was so desperate to sell in the end

I don’t think there’s going to be a queue down trinity Rd with  ready buyers this time round

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2018, 04:22:43 PM »
Tone's little helper has said goodbye to Birmingham on Twitter.

So either he's got the boot or a deal is imminent.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2018, 05:54:11 PM »

Has he? His ticked account's last Tweet was three days ago - a retweet of Xia's.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2018, 06:13:46 PM »

Has he? His ticked account's last Tweet was three days ago - a retweet of Xia's.

My mistake. It's on Instagram, not Twitter.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal