collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Joshua Onomah signed on loan  (Read 20022 times)

Offline QuintonVilla

Re: Joshua Onomah
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
It's alleged that Poch previously refused to let him go on loan as 'he didn't trust the coaches with him'. So he's sent him to the football dinosaur Steve Bruce instead.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 01:44:43 PM »
Seems like a Bruce thing to just play him out wide 'cause he's quick.

Where arguably the best manager in the top flight has been playing him.

And where he's struggled. It was with England U20s that he's looked most impressive in central midfield.

He's played a clutch of games as a sub. Not exactly struggling.

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2017, 01:50:18 PM »
Definitely a fan of this deal. We need attacking and creative options with Jack out so this is a good move to fill that gap. He's just won the U20s with England, unlikely to break into the Spurs team anytime soon unless he's REALLY good. In which case we'd see/benefit from it this year. So there's a chance we could make it permanent or at least extend by a year if we do well with him in the team.

We seem to be acting shrewdly and swiftly in the transfer market this summer, which is very welcome and very un-Villa-like...

He's signed a new deal with Spurs until 2021 before signing with us today, so they clearly want him back - scuppers any desire with signing him permanently.

Who knows with new contracts these days. Could just be to protect his value. Hypothetically if we went up this year we at least might have a chance of keeping him for a season in the Prem (if he does well) similar to Ake at Bournemouth, say.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2017, 01:52:04 PM »
Fucking hell this anti Bruce thing is a bit boring isn't it?

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 01:52:23 PM »
From the Youtube video of his U20 World Cup performances, he looks really good driving forwards from midfield, a pretty big contrast from how one-paced the midfield's looked at times during preseason.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
I'm beginning to feel the same way

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2017, 01:55:15 PM »

Exactly.
If he gets us out of this league I don't care what style of football we play. I just want winning football.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2017, 02:08:32 PM »

And where he's struggled. It was with England U20s that he's looked most impressive in central midfield.

His performances in the summer in central midfield, his preferred position, may be lost on you but I very much doubt they were on Bruce. He lad reminds me of Carlos Sanchez but with legs. Extremely tidy with the ball, keeps things moving fluidly and can work box to box. Best of all, he's always looking for a forward pass and normally delivers.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2017, 02:12:58 PM »

I'm not the biggest Bruce fan, but if you were going to get rid then one day before the start of the season isn't the best time to do it. He's here for a few months now, at least, and I hope much longer because that will mean we are being successful.

Having said that we should be adding an attacking threat, I'm certainly not going to start slagging Bruce off for signing an attacking threat before I've even seen the player in question play.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2017, 02:13:19 PM »
It's alleged that Poch previously refused to let him go on loan as 'he didn't trust the coaches with him'. So he's sent him to the football dinosaur Steve Bruce instead.

No offence, but I'd trust Pochettino more than you in being a judge of manager and set up.

Offline Hillbilly

Re: Joshua Onomah signed on loan
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2017, 02:37:13 PM »
Well he's dropped a division and gone up in the world so good luck to him.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2017, 02:37:29 PM »

His performances in the summer in central midfield, his preferred position, may be lost on you but I very much doubt they were on Bruce. He lad reminds me of Carlos Sanchez but with legs. Extremely tidy with the ball, keeps things moving fluidly and can work box to box. Best of all, he's always looking for a forward pass and normally delivers.

I think you've missed the point. I'm not suggesting he's not a good central midfielder or has the potential to be one.

I am responding to the criticism that Bruce has received for signing him and then it being suggested "he's only signed him to play him out of position".

Perhaps I should have made the point clearer that I thought it nonsensical to have a whinge at the manager over something that has not happened. I instead referenced the best manager (in my opinion) in the country, playing in the same position Bruce is being criticized for to highlight the point.

Clearly he is a replacement for Grealish.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2017, 02:39:39 PM »
Can he play tomorrow?

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2017, 02:44:30 PM »
Yes.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2017, 02:51:13 PM »

I think you've missed the point. I'm not suggesting he's not a good central midfielder or has the potential to be one.

I am responding to the criticism that Bruce has received for signing him and then it being suggested "he's only signed him to play him out of position".

Perhaps I should have made the point clearer that I thought it nonsensical to have a whinge at the manager over something that has not happened. I instead referenced the best manager (in my opinion) in the country, playing in the same position Bruce is being criticized for to highlight the point.

Clearly he is a replacement for Grealish.

From what I've gathered from looking briefly at Spurs forums, he's received his playing time a little further forward because they have less depth in those positions than in central midfield, where they have the likes of Dembele, Wanyama, Dier, Winks, Alli, and Sissoko, and not necessarily because Pochettino sees him as more suited to those positions.

He's been signed to cover for Grealish, a final third player who was probably going to spend a fair bit of time out in wide areas up the pitch, and is coming into a squad which is short of left-sided options (unlike out right, where we have Elmo and Adomah). I think you can make an inference from that as to where he's probably going to play.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal