collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Big Predictions Thread 2017-18  (Read 1088 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
The Big Predictions Thread 2017-18
« on: August 02, 2017, 12:21:19 PM »
With apologies to the "Predict the Championship" thread, I thought it might be an idea, with the season almost upon us, to have a thread where we predict the various leagues for the upcoming year. We can then all laugh at how far off we were, this time next year. You can always just copy and paste your Championship predictions if you like!

Premier League

I know less about this every year and my knowledge has got even worse since we got kicked out of it.

Still, it seems that Man City had a brilliant attacking side but didn't necessarily have the defensive attributes to grind out scrappy wins. They've added in all areas. Chelsea should be strong again, with Morata a likely upgrade on Costa. Man Utd will be competent but dull under Mourinho, Arsenal will flatter to deceive, Tottenham might struggle at Wembley, Liverpool are one of the biggest question marks while Everton have spent big but their fans still think they lack the pace to compete for the title.

I reckon Brighton and Newcastle will have enough to avoid trouble, but Huddersfield look the worst newly-promoted side for decades and will go down. Members of this forum may want Albion to sink, but I just can't see it with Pulis in charge.

1 Man City
2 Chelsea
3 Liverpool
4 Man United
5 Arsenal
6 Tottenham
7 Everton

18 Swansea
19 Burnley
20 Huddersfield

Championship

Middlesbrough look like they have enough to go straight back up, I don't think Hull have enough for automatic promotion and Sunderland look to be in disarray. We will be better but I think we lack firepower and will narrowly miss the playoffs in agonising fashion. Wednesday have a good choice of attacking options and I fancy them to go up while Norwich improve and Derby bottle it as ever.

Small Heath overachieved under Rowett and underachieved under Zola and I think they'll be somewhere in  the middle. Say thirteenth.  Of the promoted clubs, I reckon Bolton will go but Sheff Utd and Millwall could generate good enough home records to survive. Forest are shite and the magic will wear off for Burton.

1 Middlesbrough
2 Sheff Wed
----------------------------
3 Norwich (P)
4 Brentford
5 Reading
6 Hull

22 Burton
23 Bolton
24 Forest

League One

Blackburn were one of the better clubs to be relegated to this tier in recent years while Wigan know how to get out of this division. They'll both go straight back up while Rotherham have a season of consolidation.

1 Blackburn
2 Wigan
------------------------
3 Bradford (P)
4 MK Dons
5 Fleetwood
6 Charlton

21 Walsall
22 Oldham
23 Gillingham
24 Blackpool

League Two

Steve Evans is a c*** but knows how to get teams promoted. Coventry finished well and should finally finish in the top six of a division for the first time since Ted Heath last won a General Election.

1 Mansfield
2 Coventry
3 Carlisle
-----------------
4 Luton (P)
5 Swindon
6 Lincoln
7 Forest Green

23 Morecambe
24 Crawley

Other English competitions

FA Cup: Man Utd
League Cup: Liverpool
Vans Cup: Oxford
Conference: Tranmere
Conference Playoffs: Eastleigh

Scottish Premiership

Hmmmm... I wonder who will win this?

1 Celtic
2 Aberdeen
3 Rangers
4 St Johnstone

11 Kilmarnock (R)
-----------------------------
12 Hamilton Accies

Scottish Championship

Should be a battle between Dundee Utd and Falkirk but I fancy St Mirren to be up there after the way they finished the season.

1 Dundee Utd
-----------------------
2 Falkirk (P)
3 St Mirren
4 Dunfermline

9 Dumbarton (survive via playoffs)
----------------------
10 Brechin

Scottish League One

Ayr look much-improved on last season based on their excellent League Cup Groups form.

1 Ayr
------------------------
2 Raith
3 Alloa
4 Stranraer

9 Arbroath (R)
------------------------
10 Albion Rovers

Scottish League Two

Only a fucking idiot would predict Clyde to go up.

1 Peterhead
---------------------
2 Stenhousemuir
3 Stirling
4 Clyde (P)

10 Edinburgh City (R)

Other Scottish competitions

Scottish Cup: Celtic
Scottish League Cup: St Johnstone
Scottish Challenge Cup: Morton
Scottish League Two/Highland League/Lowland League Playoffs: East Kilbride.

Other Leagues

La Liga: Barcelona
Serie A: Juventus
Bundesliga: Bayern Munich
Ligue Un: PSG
Eredivisie: Ajax
Süper Lig: Besiktas

European/International Competitions

World Cup: Germany
Champions League: Real Madrid
Europa League: Villarreal.

Offline Damo70

Re: The Big Predictions Thread 2017-18
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 12:46:49 PM »
I have backed Chelsea, Sheff Wed, Portsmouth and Carlisle for the leagues. I have had a double on Swansea and Watford to get relegated. I have backed Real Madrid for The Champions League and AC Milan for The Europa League.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal