collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:38:25 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

Brian Evans by maidstonevillain
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Jacob Ramsey by AV84
[Today at 12:12:05 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 12:04:41 AM]

Matty Cash - Polish international by PeterWithe
[Today at 12:03:00 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:02:34 AM]

Press-ing on triumphantly by dave.woodhall
[April 18, 2024, 11:47:47 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Much Awaited Return of Promotion Maths  (Read 282049 times)

Offline Nastylee

Re: The Much Awaited Return of Promotion Maths
« Reply #810 on: January 16, 2018, 06:33:57 PM »
If we have most of the top sides left to play at home then, by simple deduction we must've played an easier 'set' of home games than most other sides in the league.  On that basis should we have expected more than 7 wins from 13?  The flip side is that our away record, given who we've played, is very good and will hopefully improve but we definitely need to see improved home form at a time when we're playing better teams, if we want to get top 2.

One home defeat is good, though we could really have done with more than 7 wins and obviously fewer than 5 draws.

Oh I agree, that's the problem really, too many home draws against weaker sides who came for the draw and that we had no idea how to break down.

Which will ultimately decide our fate. Can't see us losing many but our lack of goals for stops us turning those tight games into wins. Too many draws will probably do our chances of 2nd.

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #811 on: January 16, 2018, 07:06:10 PM »
Next 5 games in the next 4 weeks :

Barnsley h
Sheff Utd a
Burton h
Scum h
Fulham a

Should be 3 routine home wins and a couple of tricky away games. Im going for 13 points from this lot and us breathing down Derby's neck.

Offline MorrisNielson

« Reply #812 on: January 17, 2018, 07:58:54 PM »
have we ever won 10 consecutive games?

I've only got as far as World War One but the best I've found is eleven straight wins in 1914.

Stoke (h) 1-0 (FA Cup)
Sunderland (h) 5-0
Everton (a) 4-1
Exeter (a) 2-1 (FA Cup)
WBA (h) 2-0
Wednesday (a) 3-2
WBA (h) 2-1 (FA Cup)
Bolton (h) 1-0
Chelsea (a) 3-0
Wednesday (a) 1-0 (FA Cup)
Man Utd (a) 6-0 (!)

Ended with a goalless home draw against Oldham. We went on to finish runners-up to Blackburn and lost in the Semi-Final of the cup to Liverpool.

Will look to see if I can find a better sequence tomorrow when I'm supposed to be working.
Highest number of league wins in a row, as far as I can see:
9 - 1910-11
9 - 1896-97 - 1897-98
8 - 1974-75
7 - 1989-90
7 - 1980-81
7 - 1930-31
7 - 1919-20
7 - 1913-14
7 - 1898-99

Offline The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
« Reply #813 on: January 17, 2018, 08:25:06 PM »
Didn't Lambert set some consecutive game records......?

Oh wait...

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #814 on: January 17, 2018, 09:48:53 PM »
If we have most of the top sides left to play at home then, by simple deduction we must've played an easier 'set' of home games than most other sides in the league.  On that basis should we have expected more than 7 wins from 13?  The flip side is that our away record, given who we've played, is very good and will hopefully improve but we definitely need to see improved home form at a time when we're playing better teams, if we want to get top 2.

One home defeat is good, though we could really have done with more than 7 wins and obviously fewer than 5 draws.

Oh I agree, that's the problem really, too many home draws against weaker sides who came for the draw and that we had no idea how to break down.

Which will ultimately decide our fate. Can't see us losing many but our lack of goals for stops us turning those tight games into wins. Too many draws will probably do our chances of 2nd.

I think we're starting to look better offensively now though. Having had Kodjia and Grealish out really cost us but it's looking better now Grealish has returned.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #815 on: January 18, 2018, 12:26:32 AM »
League positions are not necessarily a good guide.

Ipswich are 6 places below Sheffield Utd - but they have joint 5th best Home records - and we play them both away.
At present:-

Our Away schedule is 5th toughest - Cardiff's is the toughest
Our Home schedule is 4th toughest - Derby's is 3rd toughest

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #816 on: January 18, 2018, 06:38:51 AM »
Maybe they have the 5th best home records because they've not played us and the like at home, and that they are where they are because they're not as good as us.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #817 on: January 18, 2018, 12:34:58 PM »
Maybe they have the 5th best home records because they've not played us and the like at home, and that they are where they are because they're not as good as us.

That's basically the point I was making earlier in reference to us.  On paper our home record is pretty good but when you look at the teams we haven't played at home yet it's hard to argue that's it's going to improve as the season progresses whereas our away record looks like it could improve because it's mostly mid-table and lower sides we've got to play.

Offline Ads

« Reply #818 on: January 18, 2018, 12:58:23 PM »
I disagree, as I think we've certainly improved and looked stronger. Certain individuals are consistently looking their worth in Snodgrass, quality players like Terry and Grealish are returning and non-contributors like Hogan have suddenly looked different prospects.

The change in shape and the extra dynamism that has given us and the extra quality returning gives us an argument to say we should be in a better position to win more at home. Bristol is a case in point; decent side, easily dispatched, whereas against Boro we laboured.

I think in Sheffield United's case, their momentum from an excellent season has run dry and ordinary players have reverted to an ordinary level of performance.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #819 on: January 18, 2018, 01:38:32 PM »
I disagree, as I think we've certainly improved and looked stronger. Certain individuals are consistently looking their worth in Snodgrass, quality players like Terry and Grealish are returning and non-contributors like Hogan have suddenly looked different prospects.

The change in shape and the extra dynamism that has given us and the extra quality returning gives us an argument to say we should be in a better position to win more at home. Bristol is a case in point; decent side, easily dispatched, whereas against Boro we laboured.

I think in Sheffield United's case, their momentum from an excellent season has run dry and ordinary players have reverted to an ordinary level of performance.

Although they will be up for it when we play there - especially if we are still in form.
One of the issues with us is that we Aston Villa and even though we are where we are we are always a big scalp.

I see opposing players arrive at pitch side and to many of them it is a "f*ckin ell" moment when they walk out on the pitch - especially so for night games

Offline Ads

« Reply #820 on: January 18, 2018, 01:54:42 PM »
I don't see why they'd be more up for us than Sheffield Wednesday. They've one 1 in 10 now and we ought to be beating them.

Their other Yorkshire cousins first mind require dispatching.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #821 on: January 18, 2018, 05:10:45 PM »
Hookey - That moment is what we need to take advantage of better.  The lower/mid table teams are almost certainly going to be players who can be overawed by the ground, but if we let them settle and start to enjoy it they can take a lift from it, we need to show them they're playing with the big boys from the very start, that's where we've fucked up in the last 18 months, we haven't drummed home that potential advantage.

Ads, I'm referring entirely to making predictions based on form tables.  I agree that we look a much better side now than we did in August but I don't think the "all the big sides have to come to Villa park" argument really adds much because our home record so far doesn't suggest we're getting much of an advantage there, we lose less than we do away but we draw far too many.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #822 on: January 18, 2018, 10:02:48 PM »

I think we're starting to look better offensively now though. Having had Kodjia and Grealish out really cost us but it's looking better now Grealish has returned.

Kodjia especially. We did well considering Davis was our only striker for a while.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #823 on: January 19, 2018, 09:38:36 PM »
So Derby have drawn.  I think mathematically promotion is now in our own hands?

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #824 on: January 19, 2018, 09:40:31 PM »
Cracking result that.

Don't see Derby getting another 40 points on top of what they already have tbh.

LIke us they struggle to win home games when teams park the bus.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal