collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Watford Sir Graham Taylor Memorial Game  (Read 34171 times)

Offline peter w

Re: Aston Villa vs Watford Sir Graham Taylor Memorial Game
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2017, 04:07:40 PM »
I think we'll see Hourihane or Thor for Green.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2017, 05:40:01 PM »
I was contemplating taking Charlie but am full of cold so can't be arsed with yomping over there.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2017, 05:50:42 PM »
I think there may well be a few of the old un's turning up as Kevin Gage has said on Facebook he's been invited back as a guest for the match, which is nice.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 11:00:57 PM »
Do we get a cup for this if we win? Forest and Derby have some silverwhere for whoever wins in memory of Brian Clough.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2017, 11:45:24 PM »
I think we'll see Hourihane or Thor for Green.

Haven't seen Bjarnason play wide left, but have seen Hourihane and I'm not keen on seeing it again to be honest.  I'd much rather see Green or even Amavi start there.

Offline Karlos96

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2017, 12:00:20 AM »
Do we get a cup for this if we win? Forest and Derby have some silverwhere for whoever wins in memory of Brian Clough.

The Graham Taylor trophy will be played for next weekend at Watford they're playing Real Sociedad. 

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2017, 01:56:55 AM »
I assume you can buy a ticket on the day? I'm on a night shift on Friday so my attendance depends on when I manage to drag myself out of bed.
I want to be there but I can't do without my sleep these days!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2017, 02:05:31 AM »
Come for a snifter before/after Dave!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2017, 11:44:10 AM »
I was there for his first game at Ipswich and his last game at Everton and most of the ones in between first time around and got to meet him twice. I made sure I got tickets for his 'homecoming' when he brought Watford back up*, seats right behind the dug out. I wouldn't miss this game for the world and hope everyone who was around when he turned our club around will do everything they can to make it.

*People talk about his three promotions first time around at Watford and taking them to runners up in the top flight and an FA Cup final and also getting us promotion and a top flight runners up place. What doesn't get mentioned so much is his two promotions second time round at Watford, plus a Division Four title with Lincoln. Quality and class as a manager and a man.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2017, 12:43:05 PM »
I was there for his first game at Ipswich and his last game at Everton and most of the ones in between first time around and got to meet him twice. I made sure I got tickets for his 'homecoming' when he brought Watford back up*, seats right behind the dug out. I wouldn't miss this game for the world and hope everyone who was around when he turned our club around will do everything they can to make it.

*People talk about his three promotions first time around at Watford and taking them to runners up in the top flight and an FA Cup final and also getting us promotion and a top flight runners up place. What doesn't get mentioned so much is his two promotions second time round at Watford, plus a Division Four title with Lincoln. Quality and class as a manager and a man.

Sums up perfectly what tomorrow will be celebrating.  I still think the dignified way he dealt with the despicable abuse he received when England manager best summed up the type of man he was.   
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:45:09 PM by tomd2103 »

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2017, 01:02:12 PM »
Its currently very busy in the ticket office!

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2017, 02:50:17 PM »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2017, 06:42:19 PM »

Sums up perfectly what tomorrow will be celebrating.  I still think the dignified way he dealt with the despicable abuse he received when England manager best summed up the type of man he was.   

I have just watched 'The impossible Job' documentary on Youtube for the first time in years. Taking over England after a World Cup semi, players who had been denied European football for the previous five years, the most senior players (Shilton and Butcher) retiring from international football and Robson past his best (even Lineker was starting to go downhill) plus players who became crucial in Euro '96 not yet at that level, Gazza's serious injury, terrible mistakes on the pitch by so called international footballers and terrible decisions by so called international officials. Looking back, did anything actually go for him as opposed to against him?

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2017, 07:30:50 PM »

I have just watched 'The impossible Job' documentary on Youtube for the first time in years. Taking over England after a World Cup semi, players who had been denied European football for the previous five years, the most senior players (Shilton and Butcher) retiring from international football and Robson past his best (even Lineker was starting to go downhill) plus players who became crucial in Euro '96 not yet at that level, Gazza's serious injury, terrible mistakes on the pitch by so called international footballers and terrible decisions by so called international officials. Looking back, did anything actually go for him as opposed to against him?

A really bad time for a great manager to take control.  Salako, Thomas,  Palmer? A real nadir in English football. 

Offline peter w

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2017, 08:44:22 PM »
i argued this point when he was manager and in the aftermath. I challenged anyone to name which players available to Taylor should he have picked that he didn't. As has been said about Lineker, its easy to forget how poor and ineffective he was at Euro 92, so it wasn't a surprise that Smith and Wright were looking more likely to be a useful strike force.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal