collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Glenn Whelan - Released  (Read 73084 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Glenn Whelan
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2017, 08:11:46 PM »
His strategy is seemingly fill out the squad with seasoned aging pro's as they need little coaching and hope that the experience rubs off on a few of the others.
As another poster said a signing as lazy and in ambitious as his brand of football.

Yesterday's man using yesterday tactics

If we make it this year it will be luck rather than judgement

I very much doubt a team has ever won the league by being lucky.

We've lacked a spine for years. We've lacked nous and experience and teamwork too. Terry and Whelan give us that. I tell you what else they give us, and that's basic honest football. Not the bullshit spouting of Champions League Bacuna, or the shisha playboy Agbonlahor, not the fat lazy Richards etc etc. The players we've signed have been doing what they've done for a good while and done it well.

Do we need some more flair? Yes, but what we need more is the right attitude and approach.

Do we need a front player?

Agreed

The amount of games we lost last season due to being spineless

RDM's spine was only partially successful (Gollini, elphick, Tshibola and McCormack failed)

I'm much more confident about our spine this year

But yes we do need more flair and I'd take a proper number 9

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 08:20:18 PM »
Three at the back of Terry, Samba and Chester with Jedinak and Whelan in front of them.

Dynamic.

Doubt it.  Would be Wheland and Hourihane I would have thought, as I'm not sure Bruce is a fan of Jedinak.  Not a very inspiring signing, but I do hope he'll add a bit more bite in midfield. 

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2017, 08:23:05 PM »
I doubt he'll start Whelan and Jedinak in the same midfield, well I hope not anyway.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2017, 08:23:26 PM »
Three at the back of Terry, Samba and Chester with Jedinak and Whelan in front of them.

Dynamic.

You missed out Elmo and Taylor as wingbacks.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2017, 08:26:20 PM »
I doubt he'll start Whelan and Jedinak in the same midfield, well I hope not anyway.

The problem is any combination of Whelan, Jedinak, Hourihane, Lansbury and Gardner is just so flat and one paced.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2017, 08:28:50 PM »
We currently have so little pace, to counter that you need to move the ball quickly and have players making runs into space etc. Something we seem determined not to do. Far too often a player's second touch is the ball going backwards, or him turning his back and facing our own goal.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2017, 08:31:00 PM »
I honestly don't think the problem is the combination of players in midfield, it's the fact that we almost always have 2 midfielders sat 10 yards in front of the centre backs and none of them show for the player in possession, especially if we're being pressed, it's just back, back, back, hoof (or sometimes gets intercepted).  Whelan isn't a terrible player but I don't really see much difference between him and someone like Westwood, he's just anonymous.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2017, 08:34:22 PM »
I can fully understand why people think this is a boring signing to go with a boring squad shaped by a boring manager.

I didn't/don't want Elmohamady but I'm o.k with Whelan coming in. He's been a decent player for Stoke and still think he's got enough to offer at this level. I imagine him and Jedinak will rotate especially with Mile having his pre season disrupted by injury so he'll probably be a doubt for the opener.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2017, 08:45:58 PM »
Wish his name was Glen welan clarke

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2017, 08:54:02 PM »

Another sensible, and needed signing. Welcome Glenn

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2017, 08:58:05 PM »
I can't say I know anything about Glenn Whelan, for some reason I thought he was Jon Walters but they are two different players I take it?

I thought Bruce was a great appointment. I don't think he'll still be the Aston Villa manager in February. Bound to be Jaap Stam or the Brentford manager.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2017, 09:33:52 PM »
Yeah he was the one who scored the infamous goal for Stoke in the 2-2 in 2009 that arguably started the downward spiral. He owes us a performance or two to start our climb back up the league tables.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2017, 09:34:22 PM »
Just google imaged him to see who he is.
I'm none the wiser.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2017, 09:44:46 PM »
He scored a great goal against Italy once and Eamon Dunphy regularly berates him.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2017, 09:50:47 PM »
Good signing, welcome Glenn.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal