collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dan Crowley  (Read 3085 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Dan Crowley
« on: July 17, 2017, 01:28:18 PM »
Anyone remember when he left and that bloke coming on her calling us all sorts because we didn't wish him all the best?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-arsenal-dan-crowley-13342760

Offline Damo70

Re: Dan Crowley
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 01:38:17 PM »
I vaguely remember the name but with our revolving door transfer policy in the last six years or so there are quite a few who have come and gone that I only vaguely recall.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 01:40:25 PM »
Anyone remember when he left and that bloke coming on her calling us all sorts because we didn't wish him all the best?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-arsenal-dan-crowley-13342760

The bloke must have been very excited!

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 01:45:40 PM »

From recollection Crowley didn't exactly cover himself in glory with his exiting comments either? Another one who was too big for his boots.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 01:47:57 PM »
He had all the credentials to make it at the top, the looks, the hair, the agents and advisors. If it wasn't for his limited ability who knows what he'd have become.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 02:11:32 PM »
He had all the credentials to make it at the top, the looks, the hair, the agents and advisors. If it wasn't for his limited ability who knows what he'd have become.

I don't think that's remotely fair.  He looked a top prospect and has done pretty well in his loan spells.  The only thing he really did wrong was to think he'd be in the arsenal team within 3 years when he was 16. 

Online Brend'Watkins

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 02:42:40 PM »

I don't think that's remotely fair.  He looked a top prospect and has done pretty well in his loan spells.  The only thing he really did wrong was to think he'd be in the arsenal team within 3 years when he was 16. 

Well it begs the question why he isn't at the very least playing for a slightly lesser team than Arsenal rather than an also ran Dutch team?

We've seen it plenty of times for many years where 'potential' talents have proved to be nothing more than potential. When they start acting like superstars (as in Crowley's case) before they even reach moon status and even that fails to materialise I tend not to feel any sympathy whatsoever for them. He had the opportunity to stick with the club who nurtured him but he, or someone put ideas into his head which appears to have derailed his career.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 02:47:19 PM »

Well it begs the question why he isn't at the very least playing for a slightly lesser team than Arsenal rather than an also ran Dutch team?

We've seen it plenty of times for many years where 'potential' talents have proved to be nothing more than potential. When they start acting like superstars (as in Crowley's case) before they even reach moon status and even that fails to materialise I tend not to feel any sympathy whatsoever for them. He had the opportunity to stick with the club who nurtured him but he, or someone put ideas into his head which appears to have derailed his career.

But you're arguing a different point there.  Derailing his career with a stupid decision as a 16 year old is something I agree on, it was the 'limited ability' bit that made it seem a bit like sour grapes which i disagreed with.  Limited ability definitely isn't a problem with him from what I've seen.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 03:15:13 PM »
Ability is as much about attitude as talent. He has one but not the other.

Online Brend'Watkins

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 03:22:48 PM »

But you're arguing a different point there.  Derailing his career with a stupid decision as a 16 year old is something I agree on, it was the 'limited ability' bit that made it seem a bit like sour grapes which i disagreed with.  Limited ability definitely isn't a problem with him from what I've seen.

Not really arguing a different point at all. At 16 your at a given point in your ability, you might be better than your peers and so giving the impression that your potential is way beyond theirs. He had ability at his age group level so he had potential, never realised his true potential in his further years, therefore limited ability.  Even with those who have stuck with us, Gardner, The Moores, Delfounso immediately spring to mind have achieved more than Crowley but haven't lived up to the potential we thought they had so too have or had limited ability.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 04:52:13 PM »

It is, but technical ability isn't.  His technique is fine, that's why Arsene Wenger chased him personally.  The problem is that he was probably a bit young and naive at the time and thought he'd made it.  The important bit is the story doesn't suggest Arsenal want rid because he's crap and his loan spells would, under most circumstances, be considered successful given his age.  The problem sounds like he thinks he should be in their match day squads and the club disagree.  It reminds me a little of the Cahill situation with us.

Lets not forget that he's still 19 and has played about 50 first team games, that doesn't suggest he's some waster, he's just not as good as he thinks he is.

Offline peter w

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 08:45:48 PM »

I was always told by coaches as a youngster that I was good enough to make it and would play for a league team. Problem was for me, unless it was Villa I wasn't interested. Aptitude not attitude. Took me until my 30s until I thought, 'Got that wrong'.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 09:21:45 PM »
I was always told by coaches to find a sport in which you can participate with thick horn rimmed glasses.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 09:28:44 PM »
He was sent back from his loans at Barnsley and Oxford early because of poor attitude. Looks like the big move and contract at Arsenal went to his head.

At least someone like Samir Carruthers after being released by us went to league 1 and knuckled down and he'll be playing against us for Sheffield United next season.

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 07:37:53 PM »
No, never heard of him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal