collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Season expectations 2017-18  (Read 48456 times)

Offline sirlordbaltimore

Re: Season expectations 2017-18
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 03:31:56 PM »

My expectations are to finish in the play offs at least.

Whether that happens is down to the players and manager performing to their best though obviously. So who knows where we'll be come next May

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 03:36:47 PM »
I expect nothing less than top 2 this season, whether we achieve it is a different matter.

For me there is no hiding place for Bruce once the season starts, he made a lot of changes in January and then had 10 games at the end of the season that were essentially wasted to establish a system / way of playing - if it starts off as tepid as last season then I don't think he will see out September in the job.

The first two signings I am v happy with, solid keeper and a centre half & captain who is an improvement in both roles.  What does concern me is the constant links with boring players like Whelan & Elhomady who signing would tell you everything you need to know about the mentality going forwards...we will grind results rather than trying to win with pace, power, finesse, swagger!  Yet again relying on a moment of inspiration from Kodjia etc instead of trying to impose superiority.

Anything other than top 2 should not be an option & hopefully will not be tolerated....if the board see it going awry than act fast, decisively and be sure you are not recruiting another dull grinder.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 03:39:17 PM »
I can't call it

On paper
- we're still well short of last season's champions Newcastle, in midfield in particular
- but the league is average and if we can find a midfield blend I tend to agree our squad is as good as anyone's

But on the pitch
- I've seen very little to suggest we're top 8 in this league so far.
- we don't pass the ball well
- we don't have a settled pattern of play
- we're very brittle away from home

So I just can't call it until I see us play the first few games

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 03:46:06 PM »
I am expecting promotion. That said there is not enough to go on to make any informed judgement, in terms of our squad and those of our potential rivals. A couple of friendles which have been about fitness and have featured line ups that will almost certainly never feature in a competitive game gives very little indication.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 03:47:57 PM »
I expect nothing less than top 2 this season, whether we achieve it is a different matter.

For me there is no hiding place for Bruce once the season starts, he made a lot of changes in January and then had 10 games at the end of the season that were essentially wasted to establish a system / way of playing - if it starts off as tepid as last season then I don't think he will see out September in the job.

The first two signings I am v happy with, solid keeper and a centre half & captain who is an improvement in both roles.  What does concern me is the constant links with boring players like Whelan & Elhomady who signing would tell you everything you need to know about the mentality going forwards...we will grind results rather than trying to win with pace, power, finesse, swagger!  Yet again relying on a moment of inspiration from Kodjia etc instead of trying to impose superiority.

Anything other than top 2 should not be an option & hopefully will not be tolerated....if the board see it going awry than act fast, decisively and be sure you are not recruiting another dull grinder.

I agree rumoured transfers not exciting. But there is in theory talent in this squad that could benefit from a sturdier platform. Which is how both the top two last season set up. I think Bruce will do the same, either with 3 at the back or a strong back 4 with two deep holding midfielders

Not saying it will work, but with a solid platform then we should be able to use our attacking players well, given the pedigree at this level or natural talent

E.g.

Johnstone

Hutton / Bree Chester Terry Taylor

Jedinak new DCM / hourihane

Adomah / new player / Thor        Green / Grealish / Thor

McCormack / Lansbury / grealish

Kodjia / hogan / gabby

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 03:51:16 PM »
11-15th under Bruce. Automatic promotion? Dream on.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 03:51:33 PM »
I think we can make a fully informed judgement, Chris.
Based on the fact it's the same squad, with the same manager as last year.
I really do not think he will have some sort of footballing ephipany over the summer and will completely change his approach to the game.

I think we will pretty much see the same as last year, but won't be flirting with the bottom half of the table.

Like everyone else, I demand that we get automatic promotion, but right now, expect us finish anywhere between 5th and 10th.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 04:03:57 PM »
Mid table as stands.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 04:17:54 PM »
I accept that little meaningful stuff can be got from the friendlies so far, except that there's no indication of a more attacking formation/tactics.

The midfield must contribute more going forward. As it stands I've voted mid-table.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 04:22:19 PM »
We are in better shape than last season. We Have a far more solid defence and an improved keeper compared to Gollini that should give us at least narrow defeats becoming draws. I only hope our attacking play isn't totally reliant on Kodja. We should go up automatically if it all clicks.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2017, 04:34:15 PM »
Boof.

"It's a bad one."

Boof.

Gone by October.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 04:45:07 PM »
About 10th

I have little faith in bruce having had 35 games last season and still not knowing what formation to play

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 04:45:55 PM »
As it stands I think we'll be lucky to be just outside the playoff places.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 04:46:25 PM »
11-15th under Bruce. Automatic promotion? Dream on.
How I see it. I've got zero confidence in Bruce.

Offline achilles

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 04:49:34 PM »
Mid-table as it stands at the moment.

The defence wasn't the problem last season, so a centre half and goalkeeper aren't going to make any difference, no style or pattern of play was the problem and that won't change with the same management team in charge.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal