collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dennis Mortimer Villa Legend  (Read 11346 times)

Offline nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
Re: Dennis Mortimer Villa Legend
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 04:31:51 PM »
Must be the best ever uncapped Englishman.

When Robson took over he overlooked him for the likes of David Armstrong, Ricky Hill and a young then midfielder Gary Mabbutt.

Was he still pissed off that we won the league and they were supposed to by any chance?

Offline preston28

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 07:27:13 PM »
Captain Leader Legend

All of these and able to run in a straight line towards the opposition box regardless of who the opposition was
I still get the shivers thinking about that goal v Liverpool when he broke from the halfway line (or was it our box-memory does embellish things haha). With he Holte singing 'we'll be top by 5 'o'clock.

Apart from seeing him with the championship trophy on the open top bus parade and lifting the European cup in Rotterdam, my main memories are the goals against Liverpool and Everton in 1981 and him going off with his arm in a sling against Kiev. A less happy memory is of seeing him score two goals for Small Heath against Derby at the sty.
Wasn't his goal against Man Utd at Villa Park where he did one of his marauding runs from the half way line towards the North Stand one of the Match Of The Day opening credits ? I think we actually won 2-1 , can we not clone him ? 🤔
Captain Leader Legend

All of these and able to run in a straight line towards the opposition box regardless of who the opposition was
I still get the shivers thinking about that goal v Liverpool when he broke from the halfway line (or was it our box-memory does embellish things haha). With he Holte singing 'we'll be top by 5 'o'clock.

Apart from seeing him with the championship trophy on the open top bus parade and lifting the European cup in Rotterdam, my main memories are the goals against Liverpool and Everton in 1981 and him going off with his arm in a sling against Kiev. A less happy memory is of seeing him score two goals for Small Heath against Derby at the sty.
Wasn't his goal against Man Utd at Villa Park where he did one of his marauding runs from the half way line towards the North Stand one of the Match Of The Day opening credits ? I think we actually won 2-1 , can we not clone him ? 🤔
Captain Leader Legend

Captain Leader Legend

Was that not against Stoke City?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 07:54:24 AM »
That is an epic quote fail!

Offline preston28

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 09:00:41 AM »
That is an epic quote fail!

It was indeed. No excuses for that!

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 01:29:52 PM »
A Brutalist masterpiece of a quote fail!

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 02:10:08 PM »

When Robson took over he overlooked him for the likes of David Armstrong, Ricky Hill and a young then midfielder Gary Mabbutt.

Was he still pissed off that we won the league and they were supposed to by any chance?

I don't think so. He did select Cowans, Hodge and Platt for England.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 02:38:19 PM »
He only picked Platt because everyone else got injured.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
He only picked Platt because everyone else got injured.

I was living in France back then but thought he picked Platt over Newell at Everton as both were on the up.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 05:30:53 PM »
I meant for the team. He wasn't first choice to come off the bench until Robson got injured, replaced by the first choice replacement, McMahon. He came off the bench when McMahon got injured, and scored the famous goal against Belgium that made him undroppable.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 05:38:12 PM »

Ten Englishmen in the fourteen who won the league and he handed out a few caps to Sid to and Peter Withe. Peter Withe seemingly being the only English player in the squad of the Champions of Europe who was good enough to play in the World Cup a few weeks later.

Online Rico

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 08:34:25 PM »
The non selection of Villa players for the 1982 world cup has always done my head in. We had a predominantly English based team that won not only the league title in 81, but the European Cup in 82. Greenwood should have had the easiest job in world football - just find suitable replacements for our Scottish players and tell Ray Clemence that he was being dropped for Jimmy Rimmer and the jobs a good un. World cup in the bag courtesy of AVFC. Instead he went with Brooking and Keegan. Cop out!

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2017, 12:35:29 AM »

Ten Englishmen in the fourteen who won the league and he handed out a few caps to Sid to and Peter Withe. Peter Withe seemingly being the only English player in the squad of the Champions of Europe who was good enough to play in the World Cup a few weeks later.

Agreed, but remember that was Greenwood and not Robson.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2017, 12:37:27 AM »
I meant for the team. He wasn't first choice to come off the bench until Robson got injured, replaced by the first choice replacement, McMahon. He came off the bench when McMahon got injured, and scored the famous goal against Belgium that made him undroppable.

I agree with you there. In 1986 and 1990 Robson got lucky ( I think) when Bryan Robson was injured. England improved in both tournaments without him.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2017, 01:29:12 AM »
Two players that I never 'got' who were supposed to be the ultimate midfielders were Bryan Ribson and his replacement, Roy Keane. Probably my fault as I've always preferred a fancy Dan, but there it is.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2017, 01:29:50 AM »
Bryan Robson was shite too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal