collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:16:08 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dennis Mortimer Villa Legend  (Read 11161 times)

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
Dennis Mortimer Villa Legend
« on: July 03, 2017, 05:03:06 PM »
I spent a great afternoon yesterday at the annual Bournemouth Lions summer BBQ, now in its tenth year. As always brilliant weather and food. There were about 50 in attendance along with two Villa legends.

Peter McParland lives in Bournemouth, so comes every year and is just such a lovely guy with a wicked sense of humour. Yet this year undoubtedly the star man was Dennis Mortimer. He came down from Lichfield with his wife for the weekend and while she enjoyed Bournemouth Beach, Dennis took centre stage. He spoke without pause for at least an hour, covering his whole career from signing at Coventry to winning the European Cup at Villa. I've had the pleasure of listening to a few ex-Villa legends but Dennis was different class. Again he was very funny and told many stories about the Villa that supporters don't often get the chance to hear. What came across so clearly is that he remembers in amazing detail every kick of every game he played for Villa. He said he had every programme of a game he played in. His affection for the Villa was obvious and I can only hope that some of our present-day players turn out to be half as good as Dennis was.

Dennis had time for everyone and was happy to have photos and sign shirts. I got my Europen Cup final programme signed, along with my friend who I went to Rotterdam with. Incidentally about five of us attendance yesterday were in Rotterdam that night in May 82.   I had a chat with him and explained that I lived in West Dorset. He knew the area well and holidays a lot in Cornwall and Devon. He said he liked the surf in the West Country as he was a keen bodyboarder! Not Villa related but it made me laugh! The afternoon finished with a group photo which hopefully will be in the match day programme.

Simply a great afternoon, with good Villa company. The Bournemouth Lions go from strength to strength and I really must thank Mike and Ian who organise it so well. We had good numbers travelling to both home and away games last season and are already planning for next season.

UTV from Dorset

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Dennis Mortimer Villa Legend
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 05:07:25 PM »
I have been lucky enough to meet him, a very good down to earth bloke.
A true Villa great.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 06:22:15 PM »
I had a good chat with him after the Rotherham home game last August. Very friendly and down to earth.

Online nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 06:45:35 PM »
Captain Leader Legend

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 10:34:14 PM »
Captain Leader Legend

All of these and able to run in a straight line towards the opposition box regardless of who the opposition was

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 10:45:26 PM »
A really decent man on top of world class footballer. Met him few years ago in one of the hospitality  suites at VP.  Chatted about 80/81/82 and  asked him to sign my ticket and as I was about to walk away he said "Surely you want Tony's autograph as well?" and pushed me in the direction of man standing next to him. To my shame I did not recognise Tony Morley.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 11:02:26 PM »
That's a great post. Mortimer is a bone fide Villa legend and it's nice to read stories like that about him. 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 08:12:03 AM »
I had a good chat with him after the Rotherham home game last August. Very friendly and down to earth.

From Rotterdam to Rotherham bring our Villa back!

I'll miss Rotherham next season.

Offline badluckeric(gates)

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 08:37:07 AM »
Captain Leader Legend

All of these and able to run in a straight line towards the opposition box regardless of who the opposition was
I still get the shivers thinking about that goal v Liverpool when he broke from the halfway line (or was it our box-memory does embellish things haha). With he Holte singing 'we'll be top by 5 'o'clock.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 08:44:20 AM »
Captain Leader Legend

I still get the shivers thinking about that goal v Liverpool when he broke from the halfway line (or was it our box-memory does embellish things haha). With he Holte singing 'we'll be top by 5 'o'clock.

Apart from seeing him with the championship trophy on the open top bus parade and lifting the European cup in Rotterdam, my main memories are the goals against Liverpool and Everton in 1981 and him going off with his arm in a sling against Kiev. A less happy memory is of seeing him score two goals for Small Heath against Derby at the sty.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 11:12:56 PM »
Captain Leader Legend

Apart from seeing him with the championship trophy on the open top bus parade and lifting the European cup in Rotterdam, my main memories are the goals against Liverpool and Everton in 1981 and him going off with his arm in a sling against Kiev. A less happy memory is of seeing him score two goals for Small Heath against Derby at the sty.
Wasn't his goal against Man Utd at Villa Park where he did one of his marauding runs from the half way line towards the North Stand one of the Match Of The Day opening credits ? I think we actually won 2-1 , can we not clone him ? 🤔

Offline Damo70

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 07:03:03 AM »
I can't remember him scoring against United. My first Villa game was a 0-3 defeat at home to United. My second game was a 1-0 win against Spurs with Dennis Mortimer getting the winner. 1979.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 01:45:53 PM »
Must be the best ever uncapped Englishman.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 02:02:57 PM »
ive read all that and yes all marvellous. But gets me thinking why oh why is the witton "not renamed after one of our legends!" Dennis would be up there with a few other shouts, me thinks.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 03:11:45 PM »
Must be the best ever uncapped Englishman.

When Robson took over he overlooked him for the likes of David Armstrong, Ricky Hill and a young then midfielder Gary Mabbutt.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal