collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Damon's article in the Graun  (Read 9168 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Damon's article in the Graun
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 02:09:03 PM »
Damon should write more instead of tv reporting, he's great. I've not read the readers' comments as the Graudian seem to attract more knuckleheads than you would expect.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 03:56:20 PM »
I had a look earlier and the comments were mostly fine.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 04:28:18 PM »
I'm just concerned about Brian unbuttoning himself in celebration.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 04:53:44 PM »
Very good article! My grandfather, father and uncles were Villa supporters, as are my brother and his children, although we all live a long way from Birmingham. I vividly remember the impression the old Trinity Road stand made on me, with the stained glass, the mosaics and the elegant curved balcony, even though I have no recollection of the first games I was taken to. I'm grateful for the allegiance that my father passed on to me.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 05:18:47 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyable article Damon.  It could almost mirror my experience.  Taken at the age of five in the early fifties, that didn't work out as I was more interested in digging the dirt at the top of the Witton End, then, up the Holte End where I remember looking down at the playground in Aston Park and wishing I was in there.

Fast forward a couple of years and my interest was kindled, which began just prior to us winning the FA Cup in 1957.  My Old Lad was born in Manor Road and, living in Birmingham I used to pass the house regularly, then it was demolished and replaced with some sort of maisonettes which, the last time I looked are now in need of demolition themselves.

Meeting my uncle with my dad before games, getting in to the match at the same time, 2:40pm every home game and, taking up the same spot in front of the same crush barrier at the Witton End which, I continued to do even as an adult until the time they came and ripped it apart for the North Stand.

If I'd ever attempted to switch allegiance to any other club, the Old Man would have whipped me from arsehole to breakfast time.  His words echo as true today as they did to me back then " there is no club anywhere that has the history of the Villa".  We may not have won much in recent years and we are going through a rough patch at the moment but I wouldn't swap it for the world.  My two English grandsons are Villa fans, and my eldest Irish grandson is a Villa fan.  I take pride in the fact that I made their parents Villa fans and they have continued on the tradition.  We're claret and blue through and through, despite my moaning.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 05:29:12 PM »
Great article. I bought my son his first Villa shirt on his first birthday and took him to his first match when he was four. He is fifteen now and I knew I had brought him up right when we beat Small Heath last season and he was going mental at the final whistle. He is normally very  reserved.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 05:45:04 PM »
Damon should write more instead of tv reporting, he's great. I've not read the readers' comments as the Graudian seem to attract more knuckleheads than you would expect.
You obviously don't read many of the comments on the guardian!

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 06:47:48 PM »
I loved this piece when I read it in WSC. Obviously it resonates as a Villa fan, but the fundamental point should apply to all.

Offline steamer

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 06:52:42 PM »
Both of my lads who live thousands of Kms away from Villa Park are Villa fans.
One is passionate , one is passive. But if you ask him who he supports, it is Aston Villa.
Both myself and their  late Grandad  have taken them to Villa Park, they have seen the gasworks, the Litchfield rd, They have been in the Holte Pub and the Aston social.
The passive one was there for the 5-1 thrashing of the Blues, that day he was also passionate.
The Legacy is passed on.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 06:53:09 PM »
My Dad brought up 7 Villa mad boys and also enjoyed a double hernia after 40 years at Fort Dunlop.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2017, 07:03:54 PM »
Very good article! My grandfather, father and uncles were Villa supporters, as are my brother and his children, although we all live a long way from Birmingham. I vividly remember the impression the old Trinity Road stand made on me, with the stained glass, the mosaics and the elegant curved balcony, even though I have no recollection of the first games I was taken to. I'm grateful for the allegiance that my father passed on to me.

As one of said children of brother I can't imagine not having the shared passion for Villa in the family. I appreciate everyone has different experiences growing up and I was fortunate to have the torch passed on. I saw a post from a friend on social media the other day where he (glory hunting Liverpool fan) was goading his Dad (Man City fan from pre-glory days) over beating them last season. It just seemed wrong. How can you be on different sides?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 07:13:26 PM »
Great article. Pissed myself laughing about the piss. I can completely relate to Brian's character change at games, my father is exactly the same. A weekly chance to let off a bit of steam and the utter joys of happiness when we win.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 07:14:27 PM »
I managed to brainwash my cousin (younger by just over 3 years) into supporting Villa rather than his dad's team (Albion). The only time in the last 35+ years he has wished I hadn't was at Wembley Stadium station after the Cup Final two years ago.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2017, 07:14:52 PM »
Best article I have read in ages.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 07:18:04 PM »
You obviously don't read many of the comments on the guardian!

I really don't understand all the right wing comments on the guardian and, actually, vice versa on the mail etc. I guess there is a lot of trolling but surely in general people post on newspaper sites where they are in likeminded company?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal