collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:12:40 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by RichardBatchelor
[Today at 07:40:42 AM]

International Rugby by nigel
[Today at 07:38:44 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by amfy
[Today at 07:14:31 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 548773 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #3090 on: May 24, 2018, 09:44:32 PM »
To contrast, Frank Lampard played and scored a late equaliser against Chelsea when he went to Man City.

He managed not to be a bellend* about a footballer having to play football.

*assuming this is true, which it might not be

Offline luke:lamf

« Reply #3091 on: May 24, 2018, 09:52:09 PM »
No professional player would have the arrogance to make such a request
Who would have thought that a professional player who was suspended for a European final would don his kit and join in with the celebrations on the pitch with  his team-mates?
Or come up with the idea, and sell it to his manager, to be substituted on the minute of his choosing during his final game for Chelsea, so that he could have a guard of honour ?

Should this come to pass it would just be one more of the "Things wrong with Modern Football : Part X" - the logical evolution of 'not celebrating a goal against your former club'. Although perhaps he could mitigate it by donating to charity the 1/19th of his salary that he would have earned whilst recusing himself from work.

Probably best to wait and see what actually happens though, rather than rushing to condemn him without proof.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #3092 on: May 25, 2018, 07:11:49 AM »
No professional player would have the arrogance to make such a request
Who would have thought that a professional player who was suspended for a European final would don his kit and join in with the celebrations on the pitch with  his team-mates?
Or come up with the idea, and sell it to his manager, to be substituted on the minute of his choosing during his final game for Chelsea, so that he could have a guard of honour ?

Should this come to pass it would just be one more of the "Things wrong with Modern Football : Part X" - the logical evolution of 'not celebrating a goal against your former club'. Although perhaps he could mitigate it by donating to charity the 1/19th of his salary that he would have earned whilst recusing himself from work.

Probably best to wait and see what actually happens though, rather than rushing to condemn him without proof.

Let's not over-generalise here.

If it's true (and it's a big if which we may never find out the truth to if we lose tomorrow) he's the only footballer I'm aware of who's demanded this as part of a contract negotiation.  So maybe it's not a problem with modern football, but rather he's a bit of a dick.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #3093 on: May 25, 2018, 09:56:28 AM »
Percy from the Telegraph reporting about Terry playing for us next season if we get promoted could also be with the stipulation that he doesn't have to play against Chelsea.

I've been really impressed with his conduct on and off the pitch but that request is ridiculous. He's not on-loan from his beloved Blues and we don't pay him £60k+ a week (50% more if we go up?) to dictate a term like that. What if we need a draw at Stamford Bridge on the last day of the season and he decides to have a hard-on in the Matthew Harding stand?

Exactly.  As good as he's been, that would be a deal breaker for me.  I'm sure he'd get a hero's reception going back there anyway, so hopefully it's bollocks.  Not sure I can think of any other examples of players refusing to play against their old team, probably because it is so daft.

It is bollocks. Terry spoke to a pundit on TalkSport last night (Higginbothem I think) and said the story was total bullshit.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #3094 on: May 25, 2018, 12:07:31 PM »
Percy from the Telegraph reporting about Terry playing for us next season if we get promoted could also be with the stipulation that he doesn't have to play against Chelsea.

I've been really impressed with his conduct on and off the pitch but that request is ridiculous. He's not on-loan from his beloved Blues and we don't pay him £60k+ a week (50% more if we go up?) to dictate a term like that. What if we need a draw at Stamford Bridge on the last day of the season and he decides to have a hard-on in the Matthew Harding stand?

Exactly.  As good as he's been, that would be a deal breaker for me.  I'm sure he'd get a hero's reception going back there anyway, so hopefully it's bollocks.  Not sure I can think of any other examples of players refusing to play against their old team, probably because it is so daft.

It is bollocks. Terry spoke to a pundit on TalkSport last night (Higginbothem I think) and said the story was total bullshit.

Good. Timing of it isn't great, mind. What was the intention behind the BS story, just filling column inches on a slow week or someone looking to stir shit up ahead of a massive game for us...

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #3095 on: May 25, 2018, 12:24:56 PM »

It's a nonsense.

Or it'd better be.

A ridiculous idea/situation for ANY player.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #3096 on: May 25, 2018, 02:52:29 PM »
BS you say...

Steve Bruce Backs John Terry's Bizarre Chelsea Request Ahead of Wembley Play-Off Final

Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce has sensationally stated that he will not force John Terry to feature against ​Chelsea next season should his side claim promotion to the ​Premier League on Saturday.

"We'll not pick him against Chelsea if that's he wants," he said.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6070458-steve-bruce-backs-john-terry-s-bizarre-chelsea-request-ahead-of-wembley-play-off-final

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #3097 on: May 25, 2018, 02:53:59 PM »
BS you say...

Steve Bruce Backs John Terry's Bizarre Chelsea Request Ahead of Wembley Play-Off Final

Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce has sensationally stated that he will not force John Terry to feature against ​Chelsea next season should his side claim promotion to the ​Premier League on Saturday.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6070458-steve-bruce-backs-john-terry-s-bizarre-chelsea-request-ahead-of-wembley-play-off-final

FFS.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3098 on: May 25, 2018, 03:00:37 PM »
If that’s all it takes to get promoted I will take it. I doubt very much whether he will play a lot in any case next season.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3099 on: May 25, 2018, 03:29:11 PM »
BS you say...

That's word for word the Telegraph article.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3100 on: May 25, 2018, 03:46:34 PM »
Obscure website says the worst case. The horse's mouth says it's bollocks. Let's go with the bullshit and get hysterical.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #3101 on: May 25, 2018, 03:55:14 PM »
Obscure website says the worst case. The horse's mouth says it's bollocks. Let's go with the bullshit and get hysterical.

Who's getting hysterical?

Given Bruce is directly involved in the discussions, how's a direct quote from him not from the horse's mouth?

Since when did the Telegraph become an 'obscure website'?

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #3102 on: May 25, 2018, 04:01:35 PM »
he can just get a red before he wants them

i reckon he will play them anyway

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3103 on: May 25, 2018, 04:02:23 PM »
And what did Bruce actually say? Anything about contract clauses or demands from the player?

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #3104 on: May 25, 2018, 04:12:43 PM »
And what did Bruce actually say? Anything about contract clauses or demands from the player?

"We'll not pick him against Chelsea if that's he wants,"

Now that's obviously in response to a journo asking him something along the lines of "We understand John Terry has requested not to play against Chelsea if Villa get promoted.  What's your view on that Steve?"

If it were bollocks, surely Bruce would've said that's a load of rubbish, rather than answering the way he did?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal