collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 553124 times)

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #2850 on: April 23, 2018, 01:50:52 PM »
So following your example, why weren't Round and Wyness talking about how its great to have Lansbury at the club who Grealish can look up to and learn from?  The logical answer would be that Lansbury isn't going above and beyond - so why not?  He's not in the team so he should be busting a gut to do so. 

If he is doing as you say, but Round and Wyness are only fawning over Terry I'd be pretty pissed off if I was Lansbury.  Wouldn't you?

If it's just that Terry's a role model because he's won trophies then why isn't Birkir a role model because he was part of an Iceland team that knocked England out of the Euros, or why isn't Hutton a role model because he's played in the Champions League?

I'm not getting shirty for no reason.  Chelsea players should be turning up at the Villa and being impressed at the fact they're at a proper, big club, not turning up showing the rest of the place up for it's unprofessionalism.

He was responding to a question about John Terry. Telling us about Lansbury's training regime would have been an odd answer.

If you are pissed off at some of the unprofessional wasters we have had there in recent years then I agree with you. But I can't work out whether you are most annoyed that players who haven't played at the very top of the game aren't as awe inspiring to youngsters as some who has. Or whether you are just annoyed he came from Chelsea.

I suspect the issue is that it shouldn't take someone coming in from a club like that to make us realise just how shit we've been when we've signed players with good reputations, etc.  I'd counter that with a suggestion that the reason Terry has all the trophies he has is because he has the sort of attitude that means he'll do more.  Most players will either do as much as they're asked to and nothing more or try to get away with doing less.  The ones that make it to the very top level of the game tend to do a lot more on top.

Also agreed. If my Director is playing golf with a prospective business partner then I run the ship at work. Others of equal grade might not like that or me but shit gets done and nothing bad comes of it they might have to pick up upon their return.

But, when in charge, I am the first one into the office and the last to leave. I explain to quite junior members of staff what I am doing and why if they ask. My lot up their game to fill in for me and start asking for extra work they would avoid like the plague normally.

If someone you know well raises that bar then most follow and the useless shits you already know about will regress. I don't like John Terry as a bloke and never will. But I do understand how setting an example to seasoned Pro's might just drag a bit extra out of them. Whether on the training pitch (write a technical training pack for a new starter) or them thinking "I cod do more to take this youngster under my wing, show them how to succeed and share the pit falls I had fighting the world ten years ago".

It must be a good thing.
Stop BS'ing... You love JT - said so from the start, even ordering a shirt for the Derby game with 26 on the back.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #2851 on: April 23, 2018, 02:24:16 PM »
The last few results and clean sheets prove that Terry isn't the god the media would like you to believe.  In other words if we go up, he would have played a part, but it is just one part.  We are far from a one man team. 

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2852 on: April 23, 2018, 03:29:25 PM »
Didn't we put together a decent run when the number 26 was out injured earlier in the season, or am I just making that up because I don't like him?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2853 on: April 23, 2018, 04:12:15 PM »
Not really, it started off ok but then we went 5 without a win.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2854 on: April 23, 2018, 10:46:38 PM »
League games only

With him W16 D7 L8
Without   W8 D3 L2

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2855 on: April 23, 2018, 10:52:36 PM »
I am suprised Terry only has 78 england caps

Was behind Campbell and Ferdinand for a few years then he didn't play while the him being a racist thing was being investigated.

England had quality options back then at centre back, Ledley King was superb too when fit, even Carragher was very solid at club level.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2856 on: April 23, 2018, 11:40:31 PM »
League games only

With him W16 D7 L8
Without   W8 D3 L2
So without Terry we would have been top of the table.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2857 on: April 23, 2018, 11:59:32 PM »
The last few results and clean sheets prove that Terry isn't the god the media would like you to believe.  In other words if we go up, he would have played a part, but it is just one part.  We are far from a one man team.

He has had a good season, but I still think we could have got someone in who could have done equally as well for a lot less money. 

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #2858 on: April 24, 2018, 07:59:33 AM »
Maybe

I do think a lot of what he does is minimum fuss stuff though. It’s his positioning to anticipate the cross etc.

I can’t imagine anyone is sayin we shouldn’t have sold Baker how are they? I liked him, but he’s not that good

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2859 on: April 24, 2018, 08:18:24 AM »
So following your example, why weren't Round and Wyness talking about how its great to have Lansbury at the club who Grealish can look up to and learn from?  The logical answer would be that Lansbury isn't going above and beyond - so why not?  He's not in the team so he should be busting a gut to do so. 

If he is doing as you say, but Round and Wyness are only fawning over Terry I'd be pretty pissed off if I was Lansbury.  Wouldn't you?

If it's just that Terry's a role model because he's won trophies then why isn't Birkir a role model because he was part of an Iceland team that knocked England out of the Euros, or why isn't Hutton a role model because he's played in the Champions League?

I'm not getting shirty for no reason.  Chelsea players should be turning up at the Villa and being impressed at the fact they're at a proper, big club, not turning up showing the rest of the place up for it's unprofessionalism.

He was responding to a question about John Terry. Telling us about Lansbury's training regime would have been an odd answer.

If you are pissed off at some of the unprofessional wasters we have had there in recent years then I agree with you. But I can't work out whether you are most annoyed that players who haven't played at the very top of the game aren't as awe inspiring to youngsters as some who has. Or whether you are just annoyed he came from Chelsea.

I suspect the issue is that it shouldn't take someone coming in from a club like that to make us realise just how shit we've been when we've signed players with good reputations, etc.  I'd counter that with a suggestion that the reason Terry has all the trophies he has is because he has the sort of attitude that means he'll do more.  Most players will either do as much as they're asked to and nothing more or try to get away with doing less.  The ones that make it to the very top level of the game tend to do a lot more on top.

Also agreed. If my Director is playing golf with a prospective business partner then I run the ship at work. Others of equal grade might not like that or me but shit gets done and nothing bad comes of it they might have to pick up upon their return.

But, when in charge, I am the first one into the office and the last to leave. I explain to quite junior members of staff what I am doing and why if they ask. My lot up their game to fill in for me and start asking for extra work they would avoid like the plague normally.

If someone you know well raises that bar then most follow and the useless shits you already know about will regress. I don't like John Terry as a bloke and never will. But I do understand how setting an example to seasoned Pro's might just drag a bit extra out of them. Whether on the training pitch (write a technical training pack for a new starter) or them thinking "I cod do more to take this youngster under my wing, show them how to succeed and share the pit falls I had fighting the world ten years ago".

It must be a good thing.
Stop BS'ing... You love JT - said so from the start, even ordering a shirt for the Derby game with 26 on the back.

We need to be promoted. He needs to play 30 games. And you lot buy the shirt was the deal.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2860 on: April 24, 2018, 09:36:57 AM »
Maybe

I do think a lot of what he does is minimum fuss stuff though. It’s his positioning to anticipate the cross etc.

I can’t imagine anyone is sayin we shouldn’t have sold Baker how are they? I liked him, but he’s not that good

His ability to play out from the back has transformed our play, Chester is very good on the ball too, either are comfortable stepping out to play a three in midfield. I dont think its any coincidence that players around Terry improve aswell, Johnstone, Chester and Hutton to mention three.

Means we can afford to have a clogger, admittedly an effective one, Whelan or Jedinak in the side. Hourihane isnt one to go looking for the ball off the back either

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #2861 on: April 24, 2018, 09:45:02 AM »
Maybe

His ability to play out from the back has transformed our play, Chester is very good on the ball too, either are comfortable stepping out to play a three in midfield. I dont think its any coincidence that players around Terry improve aswell, Johnstone, Chester and Hutton to mention three.

Means we can afford to have a clogger, admittedly an effective one, Whelan or Jedinak in the side. Hourihane isnt one to go looking for the ball off the back either

Agree with this wholeheartedly, and with Matt's comment about Baker. There was a point this season where I thought, f**k me, what have we done setting ourselves up with the slowest possible centre-halves / non-centre-halves to cover the berth beside Chester (pick one from Terry/Samba/Jedinak), but that's what this league is, and in fairness to Bruce it has worked. I don't think our overall defensive play (including the midfield here) has been superb at times, but I don't think that the lack of pace in the centre has been our problem.

I think it's mostly been the likes of Taylor at full-back and mistakes from those sitting in front of the back four - namely Whelan - coupled with the inability of our CMs to retain the ball under any kind of pressure. Our CBs, including Terry, have largely been as solid as you can ask for really.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2862 on: April 24, 2018, 11:41:10 AM »
We've been lucky though that Chester has played every game, and until recently Terry has only really had one spell being out.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #2863 on: April 24, 2018, 12:00:27 PM »

It must be a good thing.

We need to be promoted. He needs to play 30 games. And you lot buy the shirt was the deal.
He has played 31 games - and no way the "promoted" thing was on, as the last home game, we wouldn't know that. And why would you gain from losing a bet having a shirt with your idol on the back?

(smug grin)

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #2864 on: April 24, 2018, 12:15:21 PM »
Good interview between JT and Jim White on talksport right now. Loving life at Villa right now, thinks the away support is just incredible, feels really welcomed by everyone in the city.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal