collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 553744 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #2805 on: March 21, 2018, 09:38:06 PM »
I'm saying it clearly got to that point if John Terry stands out for his professionalism. And that's not too say I expected John Terry to be unprofessional, but I also expected all those others I listed to be professional too.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2806 on: March 21, 2018, 09:41:19 PM »
And we only signed Onomah to cover Grealish missing the first few months.. 

I know you're only passing on what you were told, and for that we're grateful, but I'd have to say that statement is absolute rubbish.  Why is a player who has been dreadful for months, and who in style of play is nothing like Grealish still getting in squads, at the expense of O'Hare who has been brilliant in every U23 game he's played, and who is much more more in the same creative mould.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2807 on: March 21, 2018, 09:48:02 PM »
I'm saying it clearly got to that point if John Terry stands out for his professionalism. And that's not too say I expected John Terry to be unprofessional, but I also expected all those others I listed to be professional too.

With the exception of McCormack, who's to say they're not? Terry is obviously doing his best to to keep himself going and at his best for as long as possible and that's great but just because he is being a model professional doesn't really mean the others are not.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2808 on: March 21, 2018, 09:54:28 PM »

With the exception of McCormack, who's to say they're not? Terry is obviously doing his best to to keep himself going and at his best for as long as possible and that's great but just because he is being a model professional doesn't really mean the others are not.

I think the point he's making is that Terry keeps gets singled out for praise for doing what you'd hope everybody would be doing as a matter of course, and if they're not, why aren't they?

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #2809 on: March 21, 2018, 10:07:43 PM »
I guess Terry is the only one who has played at the highest level - it does say that the others are copying him.
I'd guess we generally have a better disciplined dressing room now, but Terry is the man to watch in terms of how they do it at the top.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2810 on: March 21, 2018, 10:35:04 PM »
Not sure if it's been mentioned but Round also said that if we do not get promoted Terry will be here for another season however if we go up it's to be negotiated.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #2811 on: March 22, 2018, 05:46:58 AM »
I guess Terry is the only one who has played at the highest level - it does say that the others are copying him.
I'd guess we generally have a better disciplined dressing room now, but Terry is the man to watch in terms of how they do it at the top.

He's not though is he. Bruce has bemoaned the fact we've got more than a dozen players disappearing off on international duty. We've got loads of ex-Premier League players (including the likes of Hutton who's played at the San Siro in the Champions League) and a bunch of former captains.

It just astounds me that when a Chelsea player has come in he stands out for his professionalism when compared to the rest of them.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #2812 on: March 22, 2018, 06:26:05 AM »
Not sure if it's been mentioned but Round also said that if we do not get promoted Terry will be here for another season however if we go up it's to be negotiated.

If we don't go up and Terry stays, then surely we have to negotiate a wage cut? Thats not to say he hasn't contributed, but another year of 60k a week for a 38 year old, when we are being hit financially just doesn't feasible to me

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2813 on: March 22, 2018, 06:28:30 AM »

If we don't go up and Terry stays, then surely we have to negotiate a wage cut? Thats not to say he hasn't contributed, but another year of 60k a week for a 38 year old, when we are being hit financially just doesn't feasible to me

It was the other way round.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2814 on: March 22, 2018, 06:30:32 AM »

I know you're only passing on what you were told, and for that we're grateful, but I'd have to say that statement is absolute rubbish.  Why is a player who has been dreadful for months, and who in style of play is nothing like Grealish still getting in squads, at the expense of O'Hare who has been brilliant in every U23 game he's played, and who is much more more in the same creative mould.

They signed Onomah to cover Grealish after he got injured in pre season. They don't think O' Hare is ready yet but is close enough for cameos which is why they didn't let him out on loan in January.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2815 on: March 22, 2018, 06:32:46 AM »

Yep. The attitude about the place is very different now anyway but the suggestion appears to be that Terry has raised the bar in terms of personal preparation.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2816 on: March 22, 2018, 06:48:52 AM »

He's not though is he. Bruce has bemoaned the fact we've got more than a dozen players disappearing off on international duty. We've got loads of ex-Premier League players (including the likes of Hutton who's played at the San Siro in the Champions League) and a bunch of former captains.

It just astounds me that when a Chelsea player has come in he stands out for his professionalism when compared to the rest of them.

The thing is though, you put Chester on your list of players supposedly taking the piss and he's played every game this season. Like Chelts said, they were making the point how seriously John Terry takes it. That does not mean others think of it as a retirement home.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2817 on: March 22, 2018, 07:11:16 AM »

They signed Onomah to cover Grealish after he got injured in pre season. They don't think O' Hare is ready yet but is close enough for cameos which is why they didn't let him out on loan in January.
Strange. How many cameos has he had? - not many!

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #2818 on: March 22, 2018, 07:57:44 AM »
Steve Bruce was well respected as a player in a team that played attractive football and won everything. He played in the same position as the number 26 and has connections at Manchester United, he also managed five clubs before becoming Aston Villa manager, having achieved four promotions. Can't think of too many ex players who have gone straight into management with any success in recent years, especially ones who continue playing.

The last one I remember was King Kenny Dalglish.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #2819 on: March 22, 2018, 08:32:01 AM »

The thing is though, you put Chester on your list of players supposedly taking the piss and he's played every game this season. Like Chelts said, they were making the point how seriously John Terry takes it. That does not mean others think of it as a retirement home.

I'm not saying Chester is taking the piss - the likes of Gabby and Richards are taking the piss.

There just shouldn't be enough off a difference in how John Terry approaches training to how the others do, such that Terry keeps being lauded as this model professional. All those players I've listed shouldn't need John Terry to come in to realise what good looks like. And in turn Grealish shouldn't have needed to wait until Terry arrived to have a role model at the club given the other characters we've got.

Unless of course it's all a load of bollocks designed to make Terry want to stay another season. But then that would risk pissing the others off.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal