collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:02:42 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549695 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #2580 on: January 16, 2018, 01:12:17 PM »
I’m just trying to remember what “abysmal” behaviour McGrath did away from the pitch, can anyone fill me in?
I remember his drinking problem alright, but that was a personal thing and I don’t think he ever abused anyone other than himself. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever heard a bad word said about him.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/ooh-aah-court-for-paul-mcgrath-27500701.html

Assault & drunk driving, do impact other people. Pretty abysmal behaviour to be honest. Look he is still one of my fave players ever, but yeah, a flawed flawed man.

I live down that way and it's only the tip of the iceberg really. Gets away with a hell of a lot given his hero status in Ireland.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2581 on: January 16, 2018, 01:17:16 PM »
I think by his own admission he had treated his ex wife both physically and emotionally in a terrible way also.

Like a lot of geniuses he was flawed. I have always thought that footballers are only role models to other footballers who are coming through the ranks based on their ability within the game, not because they have a good moral compass

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #2582 on: January 16, 2018, 03:47:18 PM »
All i'm concerned about regarding John Terry is that he doesn't get injured between now and the end of the season. As the weeks progress the pressure is going to increase and we desperately need his experience and influence at the back.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2583 on: January 16, 2018, 03:51:19 PM »
A few goals would be neat.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2584 on: January 16, 2018, 04:05:37 PM »
A few goals would be neat.

A header at 22-1 would have been nice on Saturday. Alas he couldn't quite manage one!

Offline stuart445

« Reply #2585 on: January 18, 2018, 09:47:53 AM »
So everyone is just going to ignore the fact that a court found him not guilty then? So its cool if we apply the same rules to Anton Ferdinand's court case for assault and call him out for being a violent criminal? That Rio is a homophobic bigot and rapist? Lets just pile on and go for it then if we are going to ignore what these three men claim they meant. I rather thought Villa fans were a bit more fair minded than that.

I’m not sure people have to be found guilty of a crime to be pretty unpleasant. So I can understand peoples issues with him. Me personally I’m just trying to separate footballing ability from previous behaviour, which I’ll admit isn’t something I’m entirely comfortable with.

Oh I agree. I just find it very unpleasant to see Terry constantly pilloried for his actions and the Ferdinands just ignored. I mean, to repeat, Rio Ferdinand was found guilty of racism and fined by the same FA board that fined Terry. Again, Terry has apologized for using that language, something with Rio has never done, in fact he told the victim of his abuse to "stop getting ya knickers in a twist!".

It seems more than a little one sided.

I don’t see the comparison though, who’s saying Rio Ferdinand is a great bloke?

Also, one person of mixed heritage saying something about race to somebody of similar mixed heritage is a long way from a white man in the UK saying something like Terry said to Anton Ferdinand. Context is all and there are degrees of racism.

Sorry I have to disagree with you about that for me it's very cut and dry it's either racist or it's not there isn't different levels

Offline stuart445

« Reply #2586 on: January 18, 2018, 09:54:27 AM »
So everyone is just going to ignore the fact that a court found him not guilty then? So its cool if we apply the same rules to Anton Ferdinand's court case for assault and call him out for being a violent criminal? That Rio is a homophobic bigot and rapist? Lets just pile on and go for it then if we are going to ignore what these three men claim they meant. I rather thought Villa fans were a bit more fair minded than that.

I’m not sure people have to be found guilty of a crime to be pretty unpleasant. So I can understand peoples issues with him. Me personally I’m just trying to separate footballing ability from previous behaviour, which I’ll admit isn’t something I’m entirely comfortable with.

Oh I agree. I just find it very unpleasant to see Terry constantly pilloried for his actions and the Ferdinands just ignored. I mean, to repeat, Rio Ferdinand was found guilty of racism and fined by the same FA board that fined Terry. Again, Terry has apologized for using that language, something with Rio has never done, in fact he told the victim of his abuse to "stop getting ya knickers in a twist!".

Well as Rio was heavily involved I think its fair to call out that hypocrisy, as Toronto says, has John Terry changed? I think the answer is yes. Rio has not.

Anyway, I have had my little say. Like it matters :)

If you think John Terry shouldn't be constantly reminded about what he did why don't you go into work and say exactly what he said and see what happens.

I'll bet that you won't be getting a several new contracts with increased pay.

Oh and good luck finding a new job after because with that on your record it'll be near impossible to get another job for a very long time and once you do I doubt it'll be a job that is very much more than minimum wage.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2587 on: January 18, 2018, 09:57:32 AM »

Also, one person of mixed heritage saying something about race to somebody of similar mixed heritage is a long way from a white man in the UK saying something like Terry said to Anton Ferdinand. Context is all and there are degrees of racism.

Sorry I have to disagree with you about that for me it's very cut and dry it's either racist or it's not there isn't different levels

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #2588 on: January 18, 2018, 10:04:01 AM »
Funny (ironic?) that we have a Cyrille Regis thread next to a John Terry thread on here. Both great players but only one will be remembered for his decency and humility.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2589 on: January 18, 2018, 10:04:57 AM »
If you think John Terry shouldn't be constantly reminded about what he did why don't you go into work and say exactly what he said and see what happens.

Oh and good luck finding a new job after because with that on your record it'll be near impossible to get another job for a very long time and once you do I doubt it'll be a job that is very much more than minimum wage.
This.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #2590 on: January 18, 2018, 01:14:39 PM »

Well as Rio was heavily involved I think its fair to call out that hypocrisy, as Toronto says, has John Terry changed? I think the answer is yes. Rio has not.

Anyway, I have had my little say. Like it matters :)

And yet...I have friends convicted of drug dealing, assault, friends convicted of drink driving, DUI drugs etc in their younger days, all of whom are now straight down the line guys who are home owners with families and fantastic jobs and way above average salaries. None of them are "constantly reminded" of their previous mistakes and none of their crimes are significantly better or worse than JT's (alleged) misdemeanors. Its a good job the rest of society isn't as condemning as the true and righteous patrons of H&V, there would be hundreds of us mounted on spikes on the city walls...

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #2591 on: January 18, 2018, 05:29:34 PM »
I think we'd all agree Terry has done some very unpalateable things but for me everyone should entitled to a fair hearing, remain innocent util proven guilty, and if proven guilty be allowed to pay their dues and move on.  It seems to me that these days the "ultra PC" attitude amongst some people brooks no forgiveness, redemption or second chances.  Once your card is marked with racism, sexism, homophobia etc, even an isolated incident out of character means that's it, you're condemned for life.  For people who are supposed to be tolerant liberals they come across as incredibly  intolerant themselves. 

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #2592 on: January 18, 2018, 05:55:44 PM »

This.

If you constantly remind (even convicted) offenders of what they did or publicise details of their previous offences you're in danger of falling foul of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act with legal consequences against you.

The may be many who support your sentiment, but the law is against you in pretty much every regard.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2593 on: January 18, 2018, 06:57:50 PM »

This.

If you constantly remind (even convicted) offenders of what they did or publicise details of their previous offences you're in danger of falling foul of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act with legal consequences against you.

The may be many who support your sentiment, but the law is against you in pretty much every regard.

Agreed. It’s tiresome reading the same old Terry shit on here. All I know is that he’s been superb for us this season and hasn’t put a foot wrong either on or off the pitch. Why people constantly want to bring up the past is beyond me. Live and let live and all that.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2594 on: January 18, 2018, 07:08:08 PM »

This.

Agreed. It’s tiresome reading the same old Terry shit on here. All I know is that he’s been superb for us this season and hasn’t put a foot wrong either on or off the pitch. Why people constantly want to bring up the past is beyond me. Live and let live and all that.

I agree. I stated my case earlier also as someone of colour who has faced a lot of racism in my time. I can tell the difference based from what I have read about him. I think he was stupid and ignorant for what he said, and one can only hope that's all it was versus something deeper. But there has been nothing to suggest at least from what we know that he is like that as a person.

Either way, going on and on about it is pointless in my opinion. I'm going to separate what he did, what I can tell he did to repair the damage and certainly what he's done since as my markers for how I view him now. And like you're suggesting he's not put a foot wrong since arriving. In fact he's demonstrated a level of commitment, conduct and professionalism every player at the club should aspire to.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal