collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 553279 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #990 on: July 02, 2017, 11:37:59 PM »
Done deal ?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/02/john-terry-decides-join-aston-villa-will-sign-imminently/

I think some sick just came up.

A division above us and a player, whatever you may think of him, chooses us over Albion.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #991 on: July 02, 2017, 11:41:43 PM »
Done deal ?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/02/john-terry-decides-join-aston-villa-will-sign-imminently/

A division above us and a player, whatever you may think of him, chooses us over Albion.

Brighton, Burton or West Brom?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #992 on: July 02, 2017, 11:44:49 PM »
Rovers.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #993 on: July 02, 2017, 11:45:50 PM »
I also wish to put in record that I am really pissed off by this signing. There can't have been many players I have hated more than him. I remember having a terrible row on the phone to my dad when he tried to stick up for him - the worst ever.

Having said that, if he turns out to be a genuinely strong asset to the team, and I show any signs at all of weakening and thinking that he is OK after all, please pour my drink over my head when you see me in The Bartons. Actually, no, punch me in the face, I'll deserve it.

Depressing innit? See you at Shrewsbury for a good moan about it?

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
« Reply #994 on: July 02, 2017, 11:55:55 PM »
Done deal ?

Yeah, should have written West Brom really. The reference was in the article.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #995 on: July 03, 2017, 12:05:09 AM »
Done deal ?

Yeah, should have written West Brom really. The reference was in the article.

I'm more impressed he choose us over Swansea and Bournemouth. The only logical reason any half decent player joins West Brom is to put in a transfer request, something the aging Terry wouldn't have to worry about. Which begs the question, did anybody seriously think he would join the Baggies?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:06:59 AM by Rudy Can't Fail »

Offline peter w

« Reply #996 on: July 03, 2017, 06:44:11 AM »
I know you guys were not talking about me but I am a bit taken aback by the strong inference that fellow Villa fans here are racist because they are willing to give him a chance here. Over the line and very unfair.

There is plenty to not like about him coming here football wise and character wise without slurring fellow fans.

I don't think anyone has said that anyone on here is racist. I'm a bit shocked that so many on here are comfortable with us signing a known racist.

It does make many people uneasy and rightfully so. But other people are also right to question whether their dislike for his attitude can be squared with his ability as a footballer and a leader around the club. Something we need.

At Villa we've had our fair share of racists, bigots, and people who did things we would usually use as a reason to call them all the twats under the sun. But, we pick and choose based on what we want to think and feel. I personally can't stand John Terry but I'd be a hypocrite to pretend that I wouldn't be cheering him loudly if he lifted the Championship trophy or was an integral part of our set-up that got promoted.

Probably our greatest player was allegedly a wife beater and an alcoholic. The sort of person you'd hate to have associated with our club. And yet he's revered by just about everyone. Everyone picks and chooses their moral code so no need to get on a moral crusade when the plank in each of our eyes is jutting out.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #997 on: July 03, 2017, 07:47:54 AM »
Agree about the motes and beams Peter but I believe there is no such thing as a detachable moral compass.  It is also my belief that any mature, responsible person's views on their own social responsibilities should be the same whichever side of the Villa Park turnstiles they happen to be.

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #998 on: July 03, 2017, 07:54:58 AM »
I know you guys were not talking about me but I am a bit taken aback by the strong inference that fellow Villa fans here are racist because they are willing to give him a chance here. Over the line and very unfair.

There is plenty to not like about him coming here football wise and character wise without slurring fellow fans.

I don't think anyone has said that anyone on here is racist. I'm a bit shocked that so many on here are comfortable with us signing a known racist.

It does make many people uneasy and rightfully so. But other people are also right to question whether their dislike for his attitude can be squared with his ability as a footballer and a leader around the club. Something we need.

At Villa we've had our fair share of racists, bigots, and people who did things we would usually use as a reason to call them all the twats under the sun. But, we pick and choose based on what we want to think and feel. I personally can't stand John Terry but I'd be a hypocrite to pretend that I wouldn't be cheering him loudly if he lifted the Championship trophy or was an integral part of our set-up that got promoted.

Probably our greatest player was allegedly a wife beater and an alcoholic. The sort of person you'd hate to have associated with our club. And yet he's revered by just about everyone. Everyone picks and chooses their moral code so no need to get on a moral crusade when the plank in each of our eyes is jutting out.
Frank Barson.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #999 on: July 03, 2017, 08:00:31 AM »

It has certainly occurred to me during all of this how I am still strangely fond of Ron Atkinson, but maybe I am more forgiving of his generation, and I definitely think his actions as a man didn't match those horrible words..........and the 'wife beater and alcoholic' was an 'alcoholic & wife beater' - a desperately unwell man whose footballing talent could never quite get him over the traumatic early life experiences which shaped his illness - especially as someone who worked in addictions for 15 years I find that a different proposition.

Then there is the difference between being a hypocrite, and trying to be a better person than you have been in the past. For me, would be a hypocrite if I slammed John Terry as a racist & dickhead for years, and then decided that as he had signed for Villa, it was all 'just bants' and he was an OK bloke after all.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #1000 on: July 03, 2017, 08:10:39 AM »
It's more a footballing issue for me - that we're investing a fair amount of our apparently limited pool of resources on someone of his age. The other stuff is more of a rancid cherry on top.

Offline alftitimus

« Reply #1001 on: July 03, 2017, 08:12:10 AM »
As the inevitable draws closer, we read the "rationalisations" and second guessing from so many on this forum  >:(

Okay. I am not a Terry sycophant, nor a Bruce or Xia worshipper.

I support this club. Our club, and as much as I mouthed off about him, I would welcome an Ellis again.

Lambert claimed he suggested to Lerner 3 times that he should sack him
Sherwood/Garde/Lambert/RDM/Fox/the "transfer-brains-trust".... they all came to us
on a win-win basis.
P45s and golden redundancy pay-outs seemed par-for-the-course under Lerner, and continued under Xia - imo.
Bruce is no different imo.His Rep as a potential England Manager, only a few years ago, seems an abonded ambition now. :-[

It seems that I only post negative opinions about us -- which is true -- because midway through Lerner's Regime I realised that it was our History and Significance that attracted the leeches.

Ellis knew us when we were in the pits, but he KNEW US.
Whatever Lerner promised Ellis, he tried to keep it, but his dwindling interest drove us into debt, as it did with his AMEX inheritance.
He was a simpleton for the canny manager - MON especially.

What we have now is an even less aware owner.
One filled with self esteem and ego.
Paid-off RDM...will eventually Pay-Off Steve and Wyness...(still called 'Lieness' on Toffee forums >:()

I have little FAITH, only HOPE that this current obsession with ageing players
- however good their history was
actually has some intelectual thought behind it.

With Steve, that's not possible.An affable if not attentive man..YES, I have met him a fair few times.
The worst.... October / November 'Golden Payout'..end of career as a Manager.

And ... Terry needs 3 seasons to get his badges to take over so what's the "leaks" about that carrot that induced him to come to us?

If I SAY me worst fears...it won't happen  ;D

AND.... my partner and myself have already got our 2 Seasons....but no kids his year which was their choice.

If villa is in your DNA, you can speak out, with love and sometimes - like 5/6 years of it -- you can speak out against sycophants and newbies / glory hunters !

:)

OK ?

Offline andyh

« Reply #1002 on: July 03, 2017, 08:17:37 AM »
If I recall correctly, hasn't John Gregory recently been 'outed' for re-tweeting Britain First/EDL/UKIP stuff?

I am currently going through a house move and the bloke I am buying off is a vile, 75 year old, bigoted old twat.
I know this because we viewed his property on Election Day, and got chatting when his 'views' became obvious.

Now, there is nothing more I would like than to tell him to shove his house up his racist arse, but unfortunately we want it. I can't cut off my nose to spite my face, so I choose to ignore the unpleasantness in this person and carry on for the greater good.

My point is that there are loads of these vile individuals out there.
We all deal with them on a daily basis, sometimes without knowing.

We just have to be the bigger people and gain some comfort in the fact that 'we KNOW what you are'.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 08:39:19 AM by andyh »

Offline alftitimus

« Reply #1003 on: July 03, 2017, 08:27:47 AM »
YES AndyH.

We all come across them.

I suggest, if you can stomach it, you read a really vile Blues forum called FreeForums.

99% RACIST

And, they have to gall to post a sticky about "NO Racism"

;D

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #1004 on: July 03, 2017, 08:53:45 AM »
Meh.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal