collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549646 times)

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #915 on: July 02, 2017, 03:43:23 AM »
He's far more suited to Blues and Harry gobknapp. I hope they sign him.

We don't need such scoundrels at our great club.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #916 on: July 02, 2017, 08:08:18 AM »
For the first time since Tony Xia took over I begin to have niggling doubts about him.  He seemed to want RDM because he was a high profile known name.  Now he seems to backing the use of a substantial amount of his money with the same motivation.  Our priorities should be the maximisation of the abilities of a talented squad.  Picking the right teams, playing them in their best positions, being tactically astute, getting the team fully fit, building team spirit, getting rid of dead wood from the squad.  Instead the focus has shifted to us becoming John Terry's Aston Villa.

The first half dozen games of the new season are as important as any in our history.  I wish I was more confident.

I think you're trying to suggest that Xia is trying to inflict certain players onto the manager. I think Bruce would walk if it was the chairman buying the players and not the manager.
He is not suggesting that at all. It's an observation that rather than being a resolute club builder Xia is more of a glory hunting publicity seeker.

I don't think I've ever heard Xia being interviewed on TV or the radio since the day he took over so how can anyone claim he's a glory hunting publicity seeker is beyond me. What are you basing this opinion on, his tweets?

Offline Axl Rose

« Reply #917 on: July 02, 2017, 08:30:37 AM »
For the first time since Tony Xia took over I begin to have niggling doubts about him.  He seemed to want RDM because he was a high profile known name.  Now he seems to backing the use of a substantial amount of his money with the same motivation.  Our priorities should be the maximisation of the abilities of a talented squad.  Picking the right teams, playing them in their best positions, being tactically astute, getting the team fully fit, building team spirit, getting rid of dead wood from the squad.  Instead the focus has shifted to us becoming John Terry's Aston Villa.

The first half dozen games of the new season are as important as any in our history.  I wish I was more confident.

I think you're trying to suggest that Xia is trying to inflict certain players onto the manager. I think Bruce would walk if it was the chairman buying the players and not the manager.
He is not suggesting that at all. It's an observation that rather than being a resolute club builder Xia is more of a glory hunting publicity seeker.

I don't think I've ever heard Xia being interviewed on TV or the radio since the day he took over so how can anyone claim he's a glory hunting publicity seeker is beyond me. What are you basing this opinion on, his tweets?

I like the Dr, he's open, enthusiastic, communicates with fans, and is a breath of fresh air after the Lerner years.

I could see why people have the above-mentioned opinions of him, however. Some of his tweets do have an air of Trumpishness about them. But I see him as a bit of an eccentric. Which I like and support. After over five years of living and working in China, it's something that I know I craved to see more of there.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #918 on: July 02, 2017, 08:47:16 AM »
isn't that because you were living in a one party conformist state?

Offline russon

« Reply #919 on: July 02, 2017, 08:49:19 AM »
I'd be pleased if we get him, fantastic player with the sort of on field presence we have been crying out for for years, vocal, committed, quality.

As for his off-field stuff well my moral compass was thrown in the bin after Gabby was permitted to treat our club the way he did then get recalled, he should never have played for us again. My expectations of modern day footballers and their ethics is so low now that I barely take their attributes as human beings into account anymore, I just watch 11 Villa shirts running around and the person that's filling each one I have no opinion on other than can he play football. Sad admission I know but it's the inevitable outcome to the steady demise of English football. Happy days!

Offline Axl Rose

« Reply #920 on: July 02, 2017, 08:58:09 AM »
isn't that because you were living in a one party conformist state?

Haha. On paper, yes.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #921 on: July 02, 2017, 09:03:32 AM »
I have posted many times that I like Tony Xia, right from the very first when there were several on this forum making comparisons with the Small Heath hairdresser.  I would go further and say that in the last twelve months he has been the only real asset the club has had.

However, to return to my earlier point, I have no doubt at all that Tony Xia has been fully involved in the pursuit of John Terry.  Because the whole operation of bringing Terry in is a gamble, I have real concerns that Tony Xia is influenced by Terry's name and Terry's past achievements.  I never mentioned glory hunting but I will say that if we are to lift a trophy I would prefer it being lifted by James Chester.

My niggling doubts are that Tony Xia is perhaps showing a bit of the naivety that caused Randy Lerner to fail so spectacularly.  The assumption that if Terry scores a couple of goals all the Villa fans will love him is as naive as Lerner jumping in his plane to parachute Alex McLeish into Villa Park.  Couple of wins and the Villa fans will forget the Small Heath history.  The naivety was that Alex McLeish was a terrible manager not that he had previously managed Small Heath.

The real problem with John Terry is that he is yet another gamble with the future of the club at a time when we cannot afford to take more risks.  To think that the 37 year old is going to be some sort of panacea for all our problems is a drift back to naivety.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #922 on: July 02, 2017, 09:09:53 AM »
Is a one year contract at the level we're talking really that much of a gamble? Especially as it is heavily based on getting us promoted.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #923 on: July 02, 2017, 09:24:31 AM »
Why don't we just wait and see with Terry. It is a gamble, of course, but let's give the bloke a chance. I'm sure no one on here actually knows him, neither do I. If Bruce and Xia have met him and think it's the right move, let's back them. If Terry does well the Holte end will be chanting his name in no time. If he doesn't work out but the team is still doing well, Bruce and Xias culpability in picking him will be forgotten. There is a strong possibility for either of those scenarios occurring.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #924 on: July 02, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »
I'm entirely in agreement with Brian Green's above post. Putting aside Terry's dubious character, his signing indicates a return to methods that have served us extremely badly and that I hoped we'd seen the back of.

Honestly, who amongst us thought that the final piece in the promotion jigsaw was an old centre-half? Almost no one, I should think. We all need to hope that this signing doesn't price us out of the ones we really need, otherwise it's an enormous gamble -
and as we've proved, we're bloody useless at gambling. The fact that we're dabbling in it again is very concerning.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:15:54 AM by Chinchilla Bathhouse »

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #925 on: July 02, 2017, 09:53:48 AM »
If somebody asked me to think of the biggest wanker in football today I'd think of John Terry. Considering the competition out there, that makes him a colossal wanker, for all the reasons discussed above.

What Villa need, and have needed for some considerable time, is someone to make its highly paid, pampered and very comfortable footballers afraid of losing. So afraid that they won't let it happen. The kind of fear Ferguson instilled at Man United. The kind that makes players super vigilant, switched on and determined to win at all costs.

For many years successive owners, managers and captains have failed to do this. Arseholes like Richards, Gabby and Lescott have been allowed to take the piss. That carried on into last season with Fat Ross. There's still an "oh well, we lost" attitude at the club and it fucking reeks. If Terry's influence can have a "don't you fucking dare take the piss while I'm in this team" effect, then it's what we badly need.

Like Russon above, we've had so many wankers and arseholes play for, manage, own and run us over the years that I am inured to such arseholery. I don't expect to like modern day footballers. I just want Villa to act like a competitive fucking football club and be winners for once. I want to see us live up to our recently ditched motto.

We're not a fucking conference and banqueting facility, or a commercial partner for Fiat and Unibet. Our distant glories and lavish history mean absolutely fuck all if we can't put up a fight against Huddersfield and Brentford. I want to see us win football matches and haul ourselves out of this shit league. But we have no right to anything we're not prepared to sweat blood for.

It remains to be seen whether Terry can help in that regard, but that's why he's being brought in. If it works, I really won't care too much what a giant gnashing arsehole he is. They've been ten a penny at Villa.

Offline Tugby Villain

• Villa through thick and thin!!!
« Reply #926 on: July 02, 2017, 09:58:47 AM »
If somebody asked me to think of the biggest wanker in football today I'd think of John Terry. Considering the competition out there, that makes him a colossal wanker, for all the reasons discussed above.

What Villa need, and have needed for some considerable time, is someone to make its highly paid, pampered and very comfortable footballers afraid of losing. So afraid that they won't let it happen. The kind of fear Ferguson instilled at Man United. The kind that makes players super vigilant, switched on and determined to win at all costs.

For many years successive owners, managers and captains have failed to do this. Arseholes like Richards, Gabby and Lescott have been allowed to take the piss. That carried on into last season with Fat Ross. There's still an "oh well, we lost" attitude at the club and it fucking reeks. If Terry's influence can have a "don't you fucking dare take the piss while I'm in this team" effect, then it's what we badly need.

Like Russon above, we've had so many wankers and arseholes play for, manage, own and run us over the years that I am inured to such arseholery. I don't expect to like modern day footballers. I just want Villa to act like a competitive fucking football club and be winners for once. I want to see us live up to our recently ditched motto.

We're not a fucking conference and banqueting facility, or a commercial partner for Fiat and Unibet. Our distant glories and lavish history mean absolutely fuck all if we can't put up a fight against Huddersfield and Brentford. I want to see us win football matches and haul ourselves out of this shit league. But we have no right to anything we're not prepared to sweat blood for.

It remains to be seen whether Terry can help in that regard, but that's why he's being brought in. If it works, I really won't care too much what a giant gnashing arsehole he is. They've been ten a penny at Villa.

Totally agree

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #927 on: July 02, 2017, 10:16:39 AM »
I have posted many times that I like Tony Xia, right from the very first when there were several on this forum making comparisons with the Small Heath hairdresser.  I would go further and say that in the last twelve months he has been the only real asset the club has had.

However, to return to my earlier point, I have no doubt at all that Tony Xia has been fully involved in the pursuit of John Terry.  Because the whole operation of bringing Terry in is a gamble, I have real concerns that Tony Xia is influenced by Terry's name and Terry's past achievements.  I never mentioned glory hunting but I will say that if we are to lift a trophy I would prefer it being lifted by James Chester.

My niggling doubts are that Tony Xia is perhaps showing a bit of the naivety that caused Randy Lerner to fail so spectacularly.  The assumption that if Terry scores a couple of goals all the Villa fans will love him is as naive as Lerner jumping in his plane to parachute Alex McLeish into Villa Park.  Couple of wins and the Villa fans will forget the Small Heath history.  The naivety was that Alex McLeish was a terrible manager not that he had previously managed Small Heath.

The real problem with John Terry is that he is yet another gamble with the future of the club at a time when we cannot afford to take more risks.  To think that the 37 year old is going to be some sort of panacea for all our problems is a drift back to naivety.

I think both Bruce and Dr Tony are possibly in full agreement on it. If Bruce didn't want a 36 year old defender in his squad, then he'd say so. As for it being a gamble, is it really any more of a gamble than paying £12m for a player? Kodjia might not have been a success but he was. Most us of thought McCormack was a good buy but so far it's not happened.

Like Mr Griswold said, let's just see how it goes, because like with most transfers, you just don't know

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #928 on: July 02, 2017, 10:18:23 AM »
Spot on Jimbo. It's a gamble. Only time will see how reckless, or not, it is. I do think it's a bit eggs in one basket gamble for this season which might just cost Bruce his job.  This is the most important season in our modern history.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #929 on: July 02, 2017, 10:37:44 AM »
My last post on Mr Terry.

As I said earlier the first six games of next season are of monumental importance.

If Terry comes and if he plays, those are the easy questions to answer.  Was he any good?  Can he improve us?  Is he past it?

By far the harder questions to ask are.  Are the player fit?  Are the players playing in the best formation?  Are the players playing to their full potential?  Is the manager being tactically astute?  Are the substitutes being used intelligently?  Is there a good team spirit?  Are the players confident?  Are we better at set pieces?  Are our young players being treated fairly?

If we are to go back to the Premiership the latter are the questions to be addressed not John Terry's value to us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal