collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549641 times)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #900 on: July 01, 2017, 01:29:55 PM »
This can't be real surely?

If true I think this will be the most embarrassing thing Villa have done since McLeish came in, which is really saying something. I've been pretty heartbroken at how low we've sunk, it's made me fall out of love with football (I barely watch any games these days) And now this, my most hated player of all time supposedly signing for us? Wake me when this nightmare is over.

More embarrassing than relegation, countless cup defeats against lower league shite or having Chelsea, Liverpool and Southampton put at least 5 past us?

I don't particularly like the man either but like all new signings we should wipe the slate clean and give him a chance.

Spot on. Such an over the top reaction considering the shit this club has been through since 2010.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #901 on: July 01, 2017, 01:34:14 PM »
For the first time since Tony Xia took over I begin to have niggling doubts about him.  He seemed to want RDM because he was a high profile known name.  Now he seems to backing the use of a substantial amount of his money with the same motivation.  Our priorities should be the maximisation of the abilities of a talented squad.  Picking the right teams, playing them in their best positions, being tactically astute, getting the team fully fit, building team spirit, getting rid of dead wood from the squad.  Instead the focus has shifted to us becoming John Terry's Aston Villa.

The first half dozen games of the new season are as important as any in our history.  I wish I was more confident.

I think you're trying to suggest that Xia is trying to inflict certain players onto the manager. I think Bruce would walk if it was the chairman buying the players and not the manager.

Yep. He walked out on Hull because he wasn't happy.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #902 on: July 01, 2017, 01:58:13 PM »
This can't be real surely?

If true I think this will be the most embarrassing thing Villa have done since McLeish came in, which is really saying something. I've been pretty heartbroken at how low we've sunk, it's made me fall out of love with football (I barely watch any games these days) And now this, my most hated player of all time supposedly signing for us? Wake me when this nightmare is over.

More embarrassing than relegation, countless cup defeats against lower league shite or having Chelsea, Liverpool and Southampton put at least 5 past us?

I don't particularly like the man either but like all new signings we should wipe the slate clean and give him a chance.

He's not like all new signings. He's a racist.

Let some ****** like Millwall or Lazio have him.

Offline KRS

« Reply #903 on: July 01, 2017, 03:46:42 PM »
Pretty sure this was a coincidence but I saw Reginald D Hunter on Live at the Apollo talking about John Terry the other night. I can't find the clip and it's in no way justifying racism, but if he can accept it and make a joke out of it then just may be some on here are taking this hatred towards JT a little but over the top. For the record, I think JT is a complete fucktard but as someone else had said, my love for the Villa is greater than my hatred of JT.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #904 on: July 01, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
Pretty sure this was a coincidence but I saw Reginald D Hunter on Live at the Apollo talking about John Terry the other night. I can't find the clip and it's in no way justifying racism, but if he can accept it and make a joke out of it then just may be some on here are taking this hatred towards JT a little but over the top. For the record, I think JT is a complete fucktard but as someone else had said, my love for the Villa is greater than my hatred of JT.

Yep, I saw that the other night too.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #905 on: July 01, 2017, 04:24:12 PM »
And did it make you change your mind on Jerry?

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #906 on: July 01, 2017, 04:26:47 PM »

I've always preferred Tom & Barbara but Margot was a handful.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #907 on: July 01, 2017, 05:46:10 PM »

I've always preferred Tom & Barbara but Margot was a handful.

That Sir, was brilliant!

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #908 on: July 01, 2017, 08:31:52 PM »
Welcome John Terry.....he'll be a great signing. A leader and good organisor in defence. Him and Chester will be solid at the back. About time we had a winner in the dressing room.....

Offline postal

« Reply #909 on: July 01, 2017, 11:13:54 PM »
Do I 'like' JT? Not really, but as long as he can create a positive aura in the team when things aren't going well, then good.

But I'd rather not see him here.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #910 on: July 02, 2017, 12:16:28 AM »
I would actually prefer any kid walking around the area wearing SHA, Sandwell or Wolves as opposed to the afore mentioned glory hunting shirts.
Yes agreed.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #911 on: July 02, 2017, 12:21:40 AM »
For the first time since Tony Xia took over I begin to have niggling doubts about him.  He seemed to want RDM because he was a high profile known name.  Now he seems to backing the use of a substantial amount of his money with the same motivation.  Our priorities should be the maximisation of the abilities of a talented squad.  Picking the right teams, playing them in their best positions, being tactically astute, getting the team fully fit, building team spirit, getting rid of dead wood from the squad.  Instead the focus has shifted to us becoming John Terry's Aston Villa.

The first half dozen games of the new season are as important as any in our history.  I wish I was more confident.

I think you're trying to suggest that Xia is trying to inflict certain players onto the manager. I think Bruce would walk if it was the chairman buying the players and not the manager.
He is not suggesting that at all. It's an observation that rather than being a resolute club builder Xia is more of a glory hunting publicity seeker.

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #912 on: July 02, 2017, 12:37:53 AM »

Spot on.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #913 on: July 02, 2017, 12:56:04 AM »

He is not suggesting that at all. It's an observation that rather than being a resolute club builder Xia is more of a glory hunting publicity seeker.

I dunno though. I mean he could look at it like "All I have done with Aston Villa is try and get winners". If you are looking for a pattern in Xia thats what he has done.

RDM - Champions League winning manager. get him in.
Bruce - Proven Championship winner, get him in.

Almost ALL of our signings under Xia have proven themselves at some level or another. I mean did any of us really object when he went out and got one of previous seasons top scorer's in the league? He just likes winners and is willing to pay for it.

I dont think he wants to get publicity, I think he just runs the club like many venture capital firms run companies. Just go buy proven talent and let them sort it out.

It hasnt worked so far but I think thats his methodology. I think he hates the idea of "young, cheap & hungry". He thinks thats way too risky. He wants proven winners is all.

My guess anyway.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 12:58:13 AM by ciggiesnbeer »

Offline Andy1874

« Reply #914 on: July 02, 2017, 01:35:10 AM »
Anyone else noticed the drift in odds :/

I'd personally love him to sign.

He was 1/20 earlier for us, and 18s for sha. We're now 2/9 and them 3s.

Big drift ..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal