collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 550014 times)

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #870 on: July 01, 2017, 02:18:02 AM »
When has a decrepit, racist centre-half ever got a team promoted?
Next year hopefully?

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #871 on: July 01, 2017, 03:12:36 AM »
When has a decrepit, racist centre-half ever got a team promoted?
Next year hopefully?

Hopefully.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #872 on: July 01, 2017, 04:02:22 AM »
Always a first time for everything.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:09:40 AM by AV5nobs »

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #873 on: July 01, 2017, 06:47:03 AM »
My next door neighbours are black and there 12 year old son is very excited at the thought of JT wearing our claret and blue, and he's aware of the whole racist remarks.

What are the chances?

What, a black family supporting Villa in suburban Birmingham?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #874 on: July 01, 2017, 09:13:47 AM »
I thought suburban Birmingham was Solihull.

Online Clampy

« Reply #875 on: July 01, 2017, 09:44:58 AM »
I went for the 'don't care' option. Not that I didn't care but I was neither totally for or totally against it. Anyway, it looks like he's here now so the best thing to do is wish him luck and hope it works out for us.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #876 on: July 01, 2017, 09:47:46 AM »
My next door neighbours are black and there 12 year old son is very excited at the thought of JT wearing our claret and blue, and he's aware of the whole racist remarks.

What are the chances?

What, a black family supporting Villa in suburban Birmingham?

That you just happened to live next to a black family that had a 12 year old Villa fan, and that his thoughts on Terry are in line with your reasoning.

You never mentioned his take on Gazza's racist remarks when you were defending him last year, that's all.

Offline brian green

« Reply #877 on: July 01, 2017, 10:08:02 AM »
For the first time since Tony Xia took over I begin to have niggling doubts about him.  He seemed to want RDM because he was a high profile known name.  Now he seems to backing the use of a substantial amount of his money with the same motivation.  Our priorities should be the maximisation of the abilities of a talented squad.  Picking the right teams, playing them in their best positions, being tactically astute, getting the team fully fit, building team spirit, getting rid of dead wood from the squad.  Instead the focus has shifted to us becoming John Terry's Aston Villa.

The first half dozen games of the new season are as important as any in our history.  I wish I was more confident.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #878 on: July 01, 2017, 10:12:20 AM »
For the first time since Tony Xia took over I begin to have niggling doubts about him.  He seemed to want RDM because he was a high profile known name.  Now he seems to backing the use of a substantial amount of his money with the same motivation.  Our priorities should be the maximisation of the abilities of a talented squad.  Picking the right teams, playing them in their best positions, being tactically astute, getting the team fully fit, building team spirit, getting rid of dead wood from the squad.  Instead the focus has shifted to us becoming John Terry's Aston Villa.

The first half dozen games of the new season are as important as any in our history.  I wish I was more confident.
Completely agree.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #879 on: July 01, 2017, 10:16:41 AM »
Possibly. It depends whether it's Bruce or Dr Tony who really wants him.

Offline brian green

« Reply #880 on: July 01, 2017, 10:22:09 AM »
No way Bruce would be allowed to spend that amount of money without consulting the owner.

Online Clampy

« Reply #881 on: July 01, 2017, 10:25:53 AM »
No way Bruce would be allowed to spend that amount of money without consulting the owner.

I presume that's the case for all transfers. The manager says who he wants and if it's financially viable, they try and do it.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #882 on: July 01, 2017, 10:26:34 AM »
Yes but there is a difference between Xia wanting big names and Xia backing his manager.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #883 on: July 01, 2017, 10:40:34 AM »
I see trouble ahead.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #884 on: July 01, 2017, 10:48:09 AM »
I can understand the concerns. It already looks like Bruce is going to indulge him and give him the captaincy straight away which I'm dead against so that part I don't like if it happens.

Point was made somewhere in the press yesterday that lots of clubs when they're trying to improve the mentality and winning ability of a squad get in an old player to help.

Chelsea did it in the mid 90s with Gullit, Man. City did it with Vieria and Liverpool did it with Gary Mac in 2001. All seen as passed it when they signed although non of them were convicted racists I concede.

If we were doing this at prem level I'd be massively concerned that he'd be another Ginola, Joe Cole or Schmiechel. Fine players but all way past their best when they signed.

At this level I just don't see him being found out as the standard is really poor.

Yes we were miles off promotion but that to me was down to our mentality and terrible lack of fighting spirit. It was a joke we pretty much lost every game last season when we concede first. Hopefully he'll help to correct that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal