collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549736 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #810 on: June 30, 2017, 03:29:02 PM »
My next door neighbours are black and there 12 year old son is very excited at the thought of JT wearing our claret and blue, and he's aware of the whole racist remarks.

What are the chances?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #811 on: June 30, 2017, 03:54:26 PM »
My next door neighbours are black and there 12 year old son is very excited at the thought of JT wearing our claret and blue, and he's aware of the whole racist remarks.
Based on that I am now quite happy and looking forward to wearing the shirt with his name on the back.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #812 on: June 30, 2017, 04:13:18 PM »
He'll get my support.

And if (I appreciate it's a pretty big if) he starts putting in heart on the sleeve dominant performances for us, I think the rest of you will come round to it pretty quickly too.  If he inspires us to promotion, people will be singing his praises.

It could certainly end up as another Lescott / Richards type move, but for now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope it turns out to be inspired.

Terry is a vastly superior player to Lescott and Richards with a vastly superior mentality and attitude.

He is, that's why my comparison on this thread has always been Pires who had an excellent career and a brilliant attitude but was just too old when he joined.  Shay Given is another decent example as well.
These examples are pointless though.  How old was Sheringham when he scored 20 goals for West Ham?  Or McAllister when he went to Liverpool?

We have absolutely no idea how JT will perform.  But is is certainly possible he will be a great asset.

They really aren't pointless, they're examples of older players moving to a new club.  Sheringham is actually a perfect example of how it could work out well and I do accept that it could happen. Mcallister on the other hand is exactly what I'm worried about.  He was 35 when he signed for Liverpool and his first season was superb but the next season was a year too far and he looked spent by about February.  He managed to eek out another 18 months at coventry after that but mainly because he was the player manager and kept picking himself.

That's the concern as I've said a few times, at that age things go south pretty quickly and Terry could be fine now and fucked by Christmas.
Centre half is one position that a lack of pace and slowing of reactions will leave you dreadfully exposed.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #813 on: June 30, 2017, 04:16:42 PM »
Talking to a Villa fan mate of mine on the phone earlier I said the problem was that we have no form guide for him from last season. If he had had a fantastic full season last time round we could point to that.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #814 on: June 30, 2017, 04:21:55 PM »
It has been alluded to that due to a player not convicted of racism by law, potentially joining our great club, that ethnic juveniles in Brum may choose to support Man Utd or Arsenal, strange I've never seen a Man Utd shirt round here before.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #815 on: June 30, 2017, 04:36:21 PM »
It has been alluded to that due to a player not convicted of racism by law, potentially joining our great club, that ethnic juveniles in Brum may choose to support Man Utd or Arsenal, strange I've never seen a Man Utd shirt round here before.

Do you think it would be better all round if he joined SHA? Any drop in support wouldn't really be noticed then would it?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #816 on: June 30, 2017, 04:40:33 PM »
Mcallister on the other hand is exactly what I'm worried about.  He was 35 when he signed for Liverpool and his first season was superb but the next season was a year too far and he looked spent by about February. 

I'm against this deal on so many levels.  But if- for the sake of argument- Terry tips the balance the way McAllister did for that Liverpool side, I'd have no complaints from a playing point of view. Even if he was only effective for 12 months.  I'd still be against the move for other reasons well covered by this point.

On the playing side, my concern is that this deal will be far more like the Joe Cole, Senderos, Kieran Richardson, Lescott masterstrokes we have pulled recently.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #817 on: June 30, 2017, 04:42:35 PM »
I would actually prefer any kid walking around the area wearing SHA, Sandwell or Wolves as opposed to the afore mentioned glory hunting shirts.

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #818 on: June 30, 2017, 04:58:29 PM »
If the JT contract was a one maybe two year at 50/60k a week with a bonus for promotion that would make good business sense .......... For the playing side of AVFC I believe it could be a positive move ........ he is a real leader which we lack .....Chester did well as captain but he is not vocal as JT would be.
The negatives would be that there has been baggage in the past but I believe we need to put that to one side if it benefits us
There is a massive difference between Prem and our current level ...even Lescott may have looked capable (only maybe)
If Ruddy came in also you are starting to see the strong spine which we have lacked

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #819 on: June 30, 2017, 04:59:44 PM »
Mcallister on the other hand is exactly what I'm worried about.  He was 35 when he signed for Liverpool and his first season was superb but the next season was a year too far and he looked spent by about February. 

I'm against this deal on so many levels.  But if- for the sake of argument- Terry tips the balance the way McAllister did for that Liverpool side, I'd have no complaints from a playing point of view. Even if he was only effective for 12 months.  I'd still be against the move for other reasons well covered by this point.

On the playing side, my concern is that this deal will be far more like the Joe Cole, Senderos, Kieran Richardson, Lescott masterstrokes we have pulled recently.

Absolutely, but Mcallister, when he joined Liverpool, was a year younger than Terry is.  It that' drop off around his 37th birthday that is the concern.  There's a reason why you don't see many players that old still playing.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #820 on: June 30, 2017, 05:22:25 PM »

What's your point?

He's anecdotally debunking the theory posited. Not going on large-sample sizes because he's not weird but by daily life as a human to whom this is a minor thing in the grand scheme so don't be so pissy with him, yeah?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #821 on: June 30, 2017, 05:25:52 PM »
I have noticed in recent years that Terry often goes out of his way to appear a decent human, like when he dedicated a Chelsea Chumps League win to the victims of a school bus crash in Europe a couple of years ago which seemed quite out of character (for most footballers, not just him to be fair.) Or how he was praised for dealing with a girl who was following him and his wife around a store swearing at him every few seconds. Over-compensating for the reputation that precedes, maybe.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #822 on: June 30, 2017, 05:45:40 PM »
Didn't he pay for a young girl's funeral a few years back?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #823 on: June 30, 2017, 06:06:01 PM »
I do not think I am alone in saying that my opinion of John Terry will not change if we storm the league or struggle again.  Not all of us are so shallow that his playing performance will change our view of the man.  My objections are that the pursuit of John Terry perpetuates the three vices that have put us where we are.  1.  Lazy, quick fix management.  2. Profligacy with the owner's money.  3. Unecessary risk taking. 

I will save my cheering for other Villa player's.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #824 on: June 30, 2017, 06:17:04 PM »
John Terry ........................I would prefer we sign June and Terry

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal