collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549707 times)

Offline AV5nobs

Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #765 on: June 29, 2017, 11:54:50 PM »
Are you drunk? What imaginary trophy?

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #766 on: June 30, 2017, 12:03:23 AM »
Are you drunk? What imaginary trophy?

Oh, don't worry about it. I was attempting humour, and failing miserably by the looks of it.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #767 on: June 30, 2017, 07:35:43 AM »
£5 million (wages and bonuses) is such an absurd amount to potentially be a significant signing in staying in this turgid league or going back up to the Premiership.

I would sooner us pay £5m to never see Baker in a Villa shirt again, oaf who couldn't pass wind.

Get him signed.
Your village must be missing you....

That's a bit uncalled for.

Online Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #768 on: June 30, 2017, 08:42:08 AM »
@avfctransfers1 has just tweeted that a medical has been booked. Normally rated as quite reliable.

Not a signing I want to see.

Offline Axl Rose

« Reply #769 on: June 30, 2017, 08:51:44 AM »
£5 million (wages and bonuses) is such an absurd amount to potentially be a significant signing in staying in this turgid league or going back up to the Premiership.

I would sooner us pay £5m to never see Baker in a Villa shirt again, oaf who couldn't pass wind.

Get him signed.

I'm completely lost here, as I tried to say earlier. What's all this village talk? Aftab, are you being naughty, mate?

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #770 on: June 30, 2017, 09:55:04 AM »
I am surprised I haven't seen a picture of him holding up the European Cup in Rotterdam.

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #771 on: June 30, 2017, 10:21:10 AM »
@avfctransfers1 has just tweeted that a medical has been booked. Normally rated as quite reliable.

Not a signing I want to see.

He seems ITK. Called everything spot on in January. Sounds like Terry is ours.

Offline avfcdale

« Reply #772 on: June 30, 2017, 10:21:48 AM »
the Dr has just tweeted, someone has signed

Online frank black

« Reply #773 on: June 30, 2017, 10:22:30 AM »
Tony's tweeted we have signed someone too.✍️👏🏻#UTV

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #774 on: June 30, 2017, 10:23:20 AM »

Get him signed.

I'm completely lost here, as I tried to say earlier. What's all this village talk? Aftab, are you being naughty, mate?

He was calling him an idiot.

On topic, I'm resigned to this happening now but I'm very worried that it will backfire because I honestly don't think he'll be able to play enough games to be worth the cost.

That said, on the positive side at least it's a good bit of dick swinging.  We're the biggest club in this league by a long way and that should involve us convincing players who are too good for this division to give us a season and help us get out of it, that's why I didn't like the strategy of signing decent players from this level.  Someone like Chester who had played a fair few games in the premier league the year before and shown he belonged there was a great signing and, unsurprisingly he was one of the genuinely successful signings last year.  Taylor (despite my reservations) started to look like another as did Jedinak.  Of the signings from the championship only Kodjia looked anything like what we expected.  Signing players who are too good for where we are is the best way to stop being here and whilst I don't know if Terry is that he sends a signal that we can attract players who are perceived to be better than where we are.

Offline Axl Rose

« Reply #775 on: June 30, 2017, 10:25:17 AM »

Get him signed.

On topic, I'm resigned to this happening now but I'm very worried that it will backfire because I honestly don't think he'll be able to play enough games to be worth the cost.

That said, on the positive side at least it's a good bit of dick swinging.  We're the biggest club in this league by a long way and that should involve us convincing players who are too good for this division to give us a season and help us get out of it, that's why I didn't like the strategy of signing decent players from this level.  Someone like Chester who had played a fair few games in the premier league the year before and shown he belonged there was a great signing and, unsurprisingly he was one of the genuinely successful signings last year.  Taylor (despite my reservations) started to look like another as did Jedinak.  Of the signings from the championship only Kodjia looked anything like what we expected.  Signing players who are too good for where we are is the best way to stop being here and whilst I don't know if Terry is that he sends a signal that we can attract players who are perceived to be better than where we are.

Cheers Paul_e.

It's been a long day.

Offline Villatillidie25

« Reply #776 on: June 30, 2017, 10:25:59 AM »

Get him signed.

Couldn't agree more. Sign championship players, become a championship team.

Offline Nelson Lodge

« Reply #777 on: June 30, 2017, 10:29:42 AM »
Life's too short to read the previous pages, so this player may have been mentioned before in connection with JT. If my father and grandfather were alive today I am quite sure they would be drawing comparisons to Frank Barson. An interesting character to say the least for his part in Villa history. To the best of my knowledge JT has yet to get a 7 month ban from football. Here is a link for anyone interested in our great history.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/dec/16/forgotten-story-frank-barson-aston-villa-manchester-united

Offline manic-road

« Reply #778 on: June 30, 2017, 10:50:26 AM »
Life's too short to read the previous pages, so this player may have been mentioned before in connection with JT. If my father and grandfather were alive today I am quite sure they would be drawing comparisons to Frank Barson. An interesting character to say the least for his part in Villa history. To the best of my knowledge JT has yet to get a 7 month ban from football. Here is a link for anyone interested in our great history.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/dec/16/forgotten-story-frank-barson-aston-villa-manchester-united

That's a great read, and nowadays players go tumbling at the slightest hint of "contact" I bet Barson wouldn't like today's game.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #779 on: June 30, 2017, 11:05:55 AM »

As you say, looks like it's happening.
I think the critical issue with JT is not so much his fitness - it's clear that we won't get 50 games out of him - but his attitude. If he is coming to Villa to serve an apprenticeship into coaching and management and he takes that seriously, we may find that he will knock some current egos into shape and we'll see a more purposeful and focussed squad. If - au contraire - he is simply here for the money and as a career wind-down, it'll be a nightmare.
Will we get the serious and focussed pro or King John with the gargantuan ego and golden boots?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal