collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:25:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549715 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #630 on: June 27, 2017, 04:56:51 PM »
Or... we could just sign someone without age/injury worries for a fraction of the price, and concentrate on improving the areas where we were poor last year.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #631 on: June 27, 2017, 05:23:13 PM »
Or... we could just sign someone without age/injury worries for a fraction of the price, and concentrate on improving the areas where we were poor last year.

This is the bit for me.  I don't actually see the problem this signing would be fixing.  We conceded 48 goals last year - only four teams conceded fewer - so why the hell are we wasting our time looking at centre halves?

Chester's Premier League class.  Baker's perfectly adequate for the Championship as long as the midfield take the ball off him before he gives it away.  Elphick is adequate as a backup.  Is the youth team that bad that we don't have some cover coming through there?  What's happened to Toner?

SB should be focusing on how we score more goals.  Not being quite so eye-wateringly negative in his set up and tactics would be a start but the scouts should be helping him by finding some strikers who might actually fit in to his style of play, or a backup for Jedinak (if the Whelan deal isn't going to come through) so that Lansbury and Hourihane can push forward and do the job we signed them for.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #632 on: June 27, 2017, 05:32:11 PM »
*JT is 36 and a half. A bit of respect, age is sensitive, no need to try strengthen your point by making him appear older.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #633 on: June 27, 2017, 05:36:09 PM »
He'll sign, Bruce will be gone by October and JT will be the next manager. God help us.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #634 on: June 27, 2017, 05:43:08 PM »
I want promotion. It might not sit well in your stomach but Terry will help us get there.

He might. He also might be a lumbering liability who costs us goals because his 37 year old legs can't catch up to Fulham or Brentford's latest 20 year old whippersnapper.

To a degree isn't that the risk with anyone? We could buy a 20 year whippersnapper to keep up with the 20 year whippersnappers but there's no guarantee they would also then be good defenders. If we always lived by that rule Paul McGrath would never have become a legend in our colours.

McGrath was 29 when we signed him. Terry is 37, the same age McGrath was when he retired.

Genuinely can't think of the last good 37 year old outfield player we signed? Even assuming Terry is better than most of his age group, when was the last good outfield signing we made of a player 35 or over?

McGrath because of his significant knee issues and off the field problems was essentially tossed out by Man U. That he went on to become legendary was in large part down to how he was managed, and even then there were plenty of bumps along the way.

Look I don't for a second expect Terry to be close to anything McGrath was. And of course so much depends on fitness and motivation. But for one year, could he do it? For 5m in a sport for that money barely pays for average these days, I think it's worth the risk at Championship level. I wouldn't be at all for this if we were getting him as a PL club.

That's a reasonable attitude. But it differs from the certainty of your earlier one, contained in the first quote of this quote war 😉.

I might consider it a risk worth taking without the baggage. With that, and his age, I just cannot be arsed with this deal.

We have scouts, go recruit the next, non-scummy, version of John Terry.

The next Shaun Teale would do perfectly well.

Now in my first quote of this string I said Terry would help us get promotion versus hurting us. I didn't offer a guarantee. But my overall position on this hasn't changed, if you look at my very first post on this subject. It won't just be about Terry it will be about the total package of our summer transfer window.

The truth is I'm tired of playing nice. I'll push my pride and values to the side for a season, get this cock in and pray he does what I hope he will do and provide the leadership to make a significant difference for us this season.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #635 on: June 27, 2017, 05:47:55 PM »
I can't push my views out for this one. It's not like it is just the racism with him though, a bit financial irregularity, a bit of slipping in your best mates wife while he's not home, a bit of diving and play acting and then add in the ego, the determination to be the first on the pitch with the trophy and the general shitty attitude and it all points to avoiding him with a barge pole. Oh and he was fucking atrocious when fit last season.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #636 on: June 27, 2017, 05:58:49 PM »
I want promotion. It might not sit well in your stomach but Terry will help us get there.

He might. He also might be a lumbering liability who costs us goals because his 37 year old legs can't catch up to Fulham or Brentford's latest 20 year old whippersnapper.

To a degree isn't that the risk with anyone? We could buy a 20 year whippersnapper to keep up with the 20 year whippersnappers but there's no guarantee they would also then be good defenders. If we always lived by that rule Paul McGrath would never have become a legend in our colours.

McGrath was 29 when we signed him. Terry is 37, the same age McGrath was when he retired.

Genuinely can't think of the last good 37 year old outfield player we signed? Even assuming Terry is better than most of his age group, when was the last good outfield signing we made of a player 35 or over?

McGrath because of his significant knee issues and off the field problems was essentially tossed out by Man U. That he went on to become legendary was in large part down to how he was managed, and even then there were plenty of bumps along the way.

Look I don't for a second expect Terry to be close to anything McGrath was. And of course so much depends on fitness and motivation. But for one year, could he do it? For 5m in a sport for that money barely pays for average these days, I think it's worth the risk at Championship level. I wouldn't be at all for this if we were getting him as a PL club.

That's a reasonable attitude. But it differs from the certainty of your earlier one, contained in the first quote of this quote war 😉.

I might consider it a risk worth taking without the baggage. With that, and his age, I just cannot be arsed with this deal.

We have scouts, go recruit the next, non-scummy, version of John Terry.

The next Shaun Teale would do perfectly well.

Now in my first quote of this string I said Terry would help us get promotion versus hurting us. I didn't offer a guarantee. But my overall position on this hasn't changed, if you look at my very first post on this subject. It won't just be about Terry it will be about the total package of our summer transfer window.

The truth is I'm tired of playing nice. I'll push my pride and values to the side for a season, get this cock in and pray he does what I hope he will do and provide the leadership to make a significant difference for us this season.

Your first quote suggests that "he will get us get [promoted]". There is no evidence for this. He might, he might not.

As for "playing nice", it's perfectly possible to sign players who have a mean streak on the pitch, without being utter scum off it.

Imagine a young black child growing up in Birmingham and not sure who to support. Imagine a black family that already attend Villa matches. Many will be unable to square supporting Villa with supporting a known racist. Even more so if, as you previously suggested, we decide to snub Chester (arguably our most consistent player last season) and make Terry captain.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #637 on: June 27, 2017, 06:04:18 PM »
At this rate he'll be at retirement age by the time he signs...

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #638 on: June 27, 2017, 06:28:48 PM »

This is the bit for me.  I don't actually see the problem this signing would be fixing.  We conceded 48 goals last year - only four teams conceded fewer - so why the hell are we wasting our time looking at centre halves?

Chester's Premier League class.  Baker's perfectly adequate for the Championship as long as the midfield take the ball off him before he gives it away.  Elphick is adequate as a backup.  Is the youth team that bad that we don't have some cover coming through there?  What's happened to Toner?

SB should be focusing on how we score more goals.  Not being quite so eye-wateringly negative in his set up and tactics would be a start but the scouts should be helping him by finding some strikers who might actually fit in to his style of play, or a backup for Jedinak (if the Whelan deal isn't going to come through) so that Lansbury and Hourihane can push forward and do the job we signed them for.

Agree with most of that. 

Except Elphick and his reverse Midas touch should be stationed as far away from Villa Park as possible on match day.

Ulaanbaatar would be my preference.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #639 on: June 27, 2017, 06:35:14 PM »

This everyday for me ....sign some creativity and some strikers who can put the ball in the back of the net.

Lets worry about tightening the defence once we get promoted - right now its about outscoring the opposition and getting the fans onside ..... this whole Terry saga appears to be splitting the fan base. I agree we require some steel and leadership in the team however I am not convinced Terry is the right person to do this primarily because of his well documented indiscretions and over sized ego

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #640 on: June 27, 2017, 06:36:40 PM »
Anywhere with five A's in it would do.  Aaabergaavenny or Aaloaaa would suit.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #641 on: June 27, 2017, 06:40:02 PM »
Anywhere with five A's in it would do.  Aaabergaavenny or Aaloaaa would suit.
Aadvaarkia

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #642 on: June 27, 2017, 06:45:39 PM »
According to the Mirror he'll be a Villa player by the weekend.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #643 on: June 27, 2017, 06:47:23 PM »
Six days of self respect remaining.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #644 on: June 27, 2017, 06:49:51 PM »
My last remaining hope is that it's the Mirror reporting it and they're usually wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal