collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549662 times)

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #540 on: June 26, 2017, 09:50:21 AM »
We seem to have reached can't be arsed levels of Joleon Lescott proportions, years and years of utter fucking dross, meaningless soundbites, shunammites, snakes, bongs, hippy crack, relegation, going again & again and this is the next chapter, a sort of relentless grey November drizzle rather than a bright new dawn under Steve & Tony.  Fucks sake, 2 steps forward and 3 steps back again.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #541 on: June 26, 2017, 10:26:59 AM »
That's it for me too. 

There aren't many upsides to relegation, but one of them should be that it forces you to change your ways. 

Yet Xia looks like he has received the Bumper Book of Club Management from Lerner at Christmas and is following it to the letter.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #542 on: June 26, 2017, 11:34:20 AM »
Ermmm... was it irony in the first seven posts you made whinging that 50.7% was over half?

I realise that this is a side issue but the numbers are pretty much irrelevant aren't they, with it being such a small sample of the overall supporter base? I am not sure you can extrapolate anything either way to how that relates more widely.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #543 on: June 26, 2017, 11:44:31 AM »
Yes, agree with that entirely. I wasn't the one getting into a strop about them, I just joined in, because I was bored.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #544 on: June 26, 2017, 11:59:45 AM »
Ermmm... was it irony in the first seven posts you made whinging that 50.7% was over half?

I realise that this is a side issue but the numbers are pretty much irrelevant aren't they, with it being such a small sample of the overall supporter base? I am not sure you can extrapolate anything either way to how that relates more widely.

but that's not what happened, he said the poll and the comments didn't match up and then suggested I was wrong for saying 50.7% is over half.  All the stuff about sample sizes doesn't matter because that's not what was being discussed.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #545 on: June 26, 2017, 12:04:21 PM »
It's 50% now, that's exactly half right?

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #546 on: June 26, 2017, 12:05:24 PM »
Yet Xia looks like he has received the Bumper Book of Club Management from Lerner at Christmas and is following it to the letter.

Hugely unfair, IMO. Whatever you think about Xia and his methods, comparing them to those used by his predecessor are way, way wide of the mark. Whatever Xia is, Lerner Mark II is definitely not it.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #547 on: June 26, 2017, 12:05:36 PM »
Dwight Yorke recently said that the players need to 'stand up' and its fair comment. The dressing room looks to be in a state where there are no leaders and no serious commitment to dig in and grind out results.

I really don't think that's the issue.  Last season we signed Palace's captain, Forest's captain, Fulham's captain and Barnsley's captain.  And none of them managed to displace our own captain.

The issue is much more the mentality of a manager who seems to want to win every game 1-0.  This is something signing a liability like John Terry won't fix.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #548 on: June 26, 2017, 12:28:39 PM »

Hugely unfair, IMO. Whatever you think about Xia and his methods, comparing them to those used by his predecessor are way, way wide of the mark. Whatever Xia is, Lerner Mark II is definitely not it.

He looks like he is on the Lerner fast-track to me. 

Spunk a shedload of money up front?  Check.  Appoint an uninspiring dullard as a manager? Check.   Do a complete volte face when the implications of FFP hit home and talk about sell to buy?  Check.  Start bringing in broken down 'name' footballers to appease some of the more gullible elements of the fanbase on fat contracts?  Check.

This is a bloke who talked about making Aston Villa one of the top three football clubs in world football little over 12 months ago, let's not forget. I don't see how any of the above would move us into the top 50.

Still, nice twitter fonts.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #549 on: June 26, 2017, 12:39:58 PM »
Bring back Doug, top four finishes, league cup triumphs, European tours, full houses.

Offline RussellC

« Reply #550 on: June 26, 2017, 12:42:42 PM »

Spunk a shedload of money up front?  Check.  Appoint an uninspiring dullard as a manager? Check.   Do a complete volte face when the implications of FFP hit home and talk about sell to buy?  Check.  Start bringing in broken down 'name' footballers to appease some of the more gullible elements of the fanbase on fat contracts?  Check.

This is a bloke who talked about making Aston Villa one of the top three football clubs in world football little over 12 months ago, let's not forget. I don't see how any of the above would move us into the top 50.

Isn't he just following a logical approach to get promotion? Out-spend your rivals and appoint a Manager with a successful track-record of getting Promotion? We have to sell-to-buy now a) because of FFP and b) because out squad is far too big as it stands. That's in no way similar to Lerner pulling the plug on squad-funding when he decided he wanted to cut his losses.

Lerner's biggest faults as an Owner were being too loyal to failing managers and not communicating with the Supporters. AS I said, if you want to criticise Xia for any of the above crack-on, but comparing him to Lerner is just not fair.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #551 on: June 26, 2017, 12:47:04 PM »

Blimey, and pre-season hasn't even started yet. Unbelievable.

Online paul_e

« Reply #552 on: June 26, 2017, 01:20:07 PM »

Isn't he just following a logical approach to get promotion? Out-spend your rivals and appoint a Manager with a successful track-record of getting Promotion? We have to sell-to-buy now a) because of FFP and b) because out squad is far too big as it stands. That's in no way similar to Lerner pulling the plug on squad-funding when he decided he wanted to cut his losses.

Lerner's biggest faults as an Owner were being too loyal to failing managers and not communicating with the Supporters. AS I said, if you want to criticise Xia for any of the above crack-on, but comparing him to Lerner is just not fair.

Like a manager who was brought in to get promotion and finished bottom half?

Offline RussellC

« Reply #553 on: June 26, 2017, 01:59:08 PM »

And would you expect Bruce to last beyond Xmas if automatic promotion isn't looking likely at that stage?

Online paul_e

« Reply #554 on: June 26, 2017, 02:10:44 PM »

And would you expect Bruce to last beyond Xmas if automatic promotion isn't looking likely at that stage?

Of course not, but that'll be a bit too late won't it, we had people making the excuse for him that 10 games in made promotion impossible, half a season in with form like we've shown under him so far as we're stuck down here for another year.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal