collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549801 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #255 on: June 22, 2017, 05:11:34 PM »
My son who has seen this coming from a long way off believes we are only a stalking horse.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #256 on: June 22, 2017, 05:14:39 PM »
Personally I think it is 'worth a punt' for a year. It is great how the likes of Lambert, Sherwood and Wilkins are so vocal and have so many opinions about our club. Maybe if any of them had had so many great ideas when they were at the club we would still be a top flight club.

That's one view. Personally I think the damage to our reputation, the prospect of him actually making a sufficient contribution as a player (and around the club) and the availability of other options mean it is big 'no thanks'.

Too much that could go wrong for not enough certainty that it might work - so not a 'punt' I want us to make. Not least because it will take a big chunk of the available funds to strength the squad. It will also be Bruce's solution to a much-needed CB recruit. So if Terry doesn't work as a gamble then we are left with the injury-prone Baker and the hapless Elphick.

Plus, with Terry in the side it might cost us the quiet and calm assurance of Chester ... in fact the more I think about this idea, the less I like it and I hated it to begin with.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #257 on: June 22, 2017, 05:15:57 PM »
On the subject of Paul McGrath, he was 'finished' at the age of 29 apparently. I think one or two Villa fans who watched him play home and away for several years after that may disagree with that slightly. Possibly a few Irish people would also disagree.

If we were signing a 29 year old John Terry then I imagine there would be fewer complaints.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #258 on: June 22, 2017, 05:18:06 PM »
One month of the John terry show would do my sweet in but a whole season

No means sure that he would be effective anyway

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #259 on: June 22, 2017, 05:33:12 PM »
The real world's all about compromises. And in the real world I'd probably want the likes of John Terry on my side rather than against me.

But the great thing about football is it doesn't matter that much, so I can very happily do without him making my world that little bit more toxic.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #260 on: June 22, 2017, 05:42:13 PM »
My son who has seen this coming from a long way off believes we are only a stalking horse.

This.

John Terry, former Chelsea and England captain, will command a ridiculous wage in either the US or China, where they won't give a shit about the fact he's an absolute scumbag, from a family of scumbags.

Why on earth would he want to play in the 2nd division on a fraction of what he was paid last year and could get anywhere else?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #261 on: June 22, 2017, 05:48:37 PM »
He doesn't strike me as the adventurous sort.   USA?  Maybe. 

Far more likely is that his agent will say to either Bournemouth or Swansea "Villa have offered him £60k per week + add ons. He will sign for you if you make it a straight £75k."

Offline supertom

« Reply #262 on: June 22, 2017, 06:02:54 PM »
He wants a nice semi-retirement jobby. I don't want that to be us. And this is before even considering what an orrible bastard he is.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #263 on: June 22, 2017, 06:10:17 PM »

This.

John Terry, former Chelsea and England captain, will command a ridiculous wage in either the US or China, where they won't give a shit about the fact he's an absolute scumbag, from a family of scumbags.

Why on earth would he want to play in the 2nd division on a fraction of what he was paid last year and could get anywhere else?
Precisely, precisely, precisely !!

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #264 on: June 22, 2017, 06:21:27 PM »
Forget all the baggage he brings, will he play enough and be good enough for Us at sixty grand a week I don't think so, I thought the overall management of the club was improving. Imo this would be a huge setback.

Offline frank black

« Reply #265 on: June 22, 2017, 06:39:38 PM »
He's 37, been scaling back appearances, very expensive and a horrible person. What could possibly go wrong. 🤦‍♂️

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #266 on: June 22, 2017, 07:41:11 PM »
With England Lionheart John Terry at the back, Downing on the wing and Tom Huddlestone in midfield we will be unstoppable.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #267 on: June 22, 2017, 07:43:32 PM »
With England Lionheart John Terry at the back, Downing on the wing and Tom Huddlestone in midfield we will be unstoppable.

Dear god no.

Offline peter w

« Reply #268 on: June 22, 2017, 08:08:30 PM »
Well, 'How many on here calling him all the name's under the sun can say with hand on heart they have never make a comment about the colour of somebodies skin colour or race' seems to be a clue.
So you have never told an English man, Irish man and Scots man joke or as a kid held the corner of your eyes up and  spoke in an Chinese accent ?

Your first example isn't the same, your second example is weird, and you're missing the point - John Terry shouted racial abuse *at* a player. That's a bit different to a bad taste joke in private, don't you think?

Quite so, but what do you think of 'our racist' Big Ron?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #269 on: June 22, 2017, 08:11:33 PM »
Well, 'How many on here calling him all the name's under the sun can say with hand on heart they have never make a comment about the colour of somebodies skin colour or race' seems to be a clue.
So you have never told an English man, Irish man and Scots man joke or as a kid held the corner of your eyes up and  spoke in an Chinese accent ?

Your first example isn't the same, your second example is weird, and you're missing the point - John Terry shouted racial abuse *at* a player. That's a bit different to a bad taste joke in private, don't you think?

Quite so, but what do you think of 'our racist' Big Ron?

It wasn't shouting abuse, but it wasn't just a crude joke either. Really nasty. Sorry if that makes me a PC cuck triggered snowflake or whatever it is this week.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal