collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549680 times)

Offline stuart445

Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2017, 10:46:02 AM »
Quite happy about it. He's a winner and its a long time since we had one of those here. Think he will cope at this level if he stays fit - big question mark admittedly. All the racist crap, well he was found not guilty although you wouldn't know it reading this thread. Personally if players like Drogba thought he was racist i've no doubt he or them would have left chelsea at the time over the issue. Whether he can cope with some of the work shy fuckers at our club is another thing - probably be quite an eye opener for him.

Remember what what Sherwood said when we'd signed Lescott and Richards, he said what we'd signed is winners. That worked out well didn't it

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2017, 10:49:45 AM »
I can't stand him either, but I think he'd certainly improve our chances of a return to the cash cow aka The Premier League. If Bruce decides he wants Terry, there's sod-all I can do or say to change his mind.

Offline peter w

« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2017, 10:55:38 AM »
The overriding thing for me on the football front is that I'm a little punch drunk with signing players as a gamble, or from clubs that don't really want them anymore, and seeing them being absolutely useless and knowing that we've pissed even more money down the drain. Richards, Lescott, Sinclair, Cole, Holt, Helenius, Senderos, Gestede, Gil, the list goes on but I can't be arsed wit it. I struggle to see Terry being any better than those. Dropping a level doesn't mean the intensity drops. If his legs have 'gone' then he'll be caught out every bit as much as Rio Ferdinand was at QPR. He may not have had much pace to start with, but you don't want him becoming a lunger to make up for it, or Chester and the left-back having to cover for him bringing the midfield deeper.

It has bad decision written all over it and we're doing it just because we can. It's the sort of bad decision that blights many clubs striving for former glories signing players striving for former glories. Neither tend to ever work.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2017, 10:57:06 AM »
Quite happy about it. He's a winner and its a long time since we had one of those here. Think he will cope at this level if he stays fit - big question mark admittedly. All the racist crap, well he was found not guilty although you wouldn't know it reading this thread. Personally if players like Drogba thought he was racist i've no doubt he or them would have left chelsea at the time over the issue. Whether he can cope with some of the work shy fuckers at our club is another thing - probably be quite an eye opener for him.

Remember what what Sherwood said when we'd signed Lescott and Richards, he said what we'd signed is winners. That worked out well didn't it

The big difference in that is Sherwood, Richards and Lescott.

I'd expect even Bruce a top former defender himself knowing a bit more about the difference between Terry and those you've listed than the 'wingin it' Sherwood.

Terry won't be anywhere near the player he was in his prime but he will be good enough and better than what we've got.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2017, 10:58:28 AM »
We need to change our name to Southampton as we have a hell of a lot of saints for supporters. How many on here calling him all the name's under the sun can say with hand on heart they have never make a comment about the colour of somebodies skin colour or race whether in jest or not.

*Waves*

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2017, 11:04:06 AM »
Is this another bad decision in the long list of previous bad decisions  that have led to our Club heading  in  downward direction?

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2017, 11:06:37 AM »
We need to change our name to Southampton as we have a hell of a lot of saints for supporters. How many on here calling him all the name's under the sun can say with hand on heart they have never make a comment about the colour of somebodies skin colour or race whether in jest or not.

'People objecting to Ched Evans? We should change our name to Bill Oddie as we have a lot of Goodies on hear. Who here hand on heart can say they've never forced themselves on a woman without consent, whether in jest or not.'

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2017, 11:06:44 AM »
Its going to happen isn't it? It just feels like a marquee signing that will cause more trouble than good.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2017, 11:31:24 AM »
A deeply uninspiring attempt at a marquee signing. One that makes me question what sort of scouting policy we have? Just to sign a 'name' player, no matter who, his age, ability or motivation. Hm.

Also, if he were to come, how long before he ends up having a Houllier-esque moment where he waffles on about Chelsea?

I want Villa to try and create it's own legends, not scrape for them at the tail ends of careers at other clubs.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 11:34:04 AM by Nelly »

Offline MalcolmP

« Reply #144 on: June 22, 2017, 11:32:09 AM »
Its going to happen isn't it? It just feels like a marquee signing that will cause more trouble than good.

Sign him up - I think Terry's All Gold.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2017, 11:42:49 AM »
I'd expect even Bruce a top former defender himself knowing a bit more about the difference between Terry and those you've listed than the 'wingin it' Sherwood.

It doesn't really work like that though.

Lambert's a Champions League winning central midfielder, he still signed Westwood and played him for three seasons.

Offline cannock villa

« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2017, 11:43:59 AM »

'People objecting to Ched Evans? We should change our name to Bill Oddie as we have a lot of Goodies on hear. Who here hand on heart can say they've never forced themselves on a woman without consent, whether in jest or not.'
Wasn't he cleared ?

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2017, 11:47:25 AM »
If his legs have gone in the PL God knows how he'll cope with the games coming thicker and faster in the Championship - 6 games in the first 3 weeks of the season. It's just an all over bad idea.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2017, 11:48:30 AM »

Wasn't he cleared ?

Alright, whatever, replace him with Jimmy Saville or Tarquinius Superbus or whoever on earth you want. Point stands, no?

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2017, 11:49:35 AM »
Is this another bad decision in the long list of previous bad decisions  that have led to our Club heading  in  downward direction?

Possibly, but I am finding it difficult to be too bothered either way.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal