collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

Gordon Cowans by brian green
[Today at 09:55:02 AM]

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Gareth
[Today at 09:57:19 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by brian green
[Today at 09:55:02 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by LeeB
[Today at 09:54:22 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 09:51:04 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by LeeB
[Today at 09:50:04 AM]

Re: FFP by oldtimernow
[Today at 09:47:59 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549952 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2017, 11:53:58 PM »
Why would he not be captain? He's hardly going to come to the club if he's not captain.

I remember years ago Wolves signed that guy from SHA and instantly made him captain and what was a stable dressing room totally disintegrated and they were relegated with a whimper.

I'm not a fan of making new players captain unless the incumbent actually suggests it which maybe Chester will do.

But he's hardly some no name. There's a big difference between just changing the captain versus changing it to someone who has captained club and country.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2017, 11:54:08 PM »
Another bad thing about making Terry captain is that it makes him a symbol of the club. A revolting thought.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2017, 11:57:21 PM »
Why would he not be captain? He's hardly going to come to the club if he's not captain.

Because we have one already?

When it comes to captains and we have John Terry at the club he's the obvious choice as captain. Not James Chester

Why, does he win more coin tosses?

Is that all Captain does? If that's the case just give it Gabby.

Well...yes. Actually I think they're the first in line to be wheeled out for a press conference as well. So two things.

Are you suggesting that all these young impressionable players like Jedinak, Hutton and Lansbury will only bother listening to Terry's "come on lads, we got these" shouts if he has a bit of elastic on his arm?

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2017, 11:59:35 PM »
Joey Barton, James McClean to name two. I would also feel tested if Suarez showed up in a few years. Again I dont like John Terry, but he doesnt hit my button you know?

Has Suarez really done anything that much worse?

Has James McClean done anything at all?

He is an anti British bigot who openly supports terrorists who murdered people in my home city. So yes. He is "not my cup of tea" as they say. He can fuck right off.

Is this about not wearing a poppy? If that's all you've got, you need to see a doctor.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2017, 12:05:35 AM »
I'm sure Let's Argue About James McClean Day gets earlier every year.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2017, 12:05:49 AM »
I'd also like to big up Damon for seeing this coming about 3 years ago and changing his username appropriately.

Prescient stuff.
Hail Damon. He is the true messiah.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2017, 12:09:24 AM »
He's a massive, massive c*** and I personally would not piss on him if he were on fire, and I would seriously question his mental attitude coming here where we currently languish, but I can't believe anyone really thinks he wouldn't enormously improve our defence.

2-3 years ago he would have but there's a good reason why you don't see many 36-37 year olds playing.  I get that he was never that quick so losing his pace isn't a massive blow, but I'm worried he's past that now.  Football is about lots of short sprints, even for slower players, and there comes a point where the legs just don't recover as quickly and filling the lungs gets harder. In the Watford game Terry looked like he'd reached that point.  He scored a decent goal from a corner, ran around celebrating and then got caught taking a bit of a rest and couldn't get behind a ball to head it away and instead just flicked it on for the Watford equaliser.  Terry 2 years ago doesn't make that mistake and, in my opinion, no amount of fitness work in the summer will remove that problem.  On top of that to justify giving him the sort of money we've offered he really needs to play 35+ games and I honestly don't think he's capable of that.

I'm not the same as most people on here, I don't care that he's a bellend (there's no debate here, he definitely is one), I reckon 30 years ago you'd have found 2-3 players in every club that were worse than him but because they weren't celebrities no one really gave a shit.  Getting angry about him being a bellend is just buying ever more into the idea that football is as much about the lifestyle as it is the game.  I think plenty of our players from the last 15-20 years are just as bad, I just think so long as they're not breaking the law it doesn't really matter that much.  People talk about footballers being role models, I think that if you're letting your kids look at someone like John Terry or Wayne Rooney as their lifestyle icon then you've got bigger problems than them letting you don't by shagging around or acting like a twat.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2017, 12:09:32 AM »

It's no Tit Monday to be fair.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2017, 12:16:02 AM »

It's no Tit Monday to be fair.

Was that the one by New Order or The Bangles? I get them mixed up.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2017, 12:34:56 AM »
He's a massive, massive c*** and I personally would not piss on him if he were on fire, and I would seriously question his mental attitude coming here where we currently languish, but I can't believe anyone really thinks he wouldn't enormously improve our defence.

Quite.

Online brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2017, 07:07:22 AM »
I am firmly in the PWS school that says there is no evidence that he will bring this magical improvement to our defence.

This thread and the other one show that there is very clear division in the fan base between those whose unwavering support and commitment to the club is based on more than the weekly score line and those who think the weekly score line and nothing but the weekly score line is all that matters.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2017, 07:07:46 AM »
Bang

All my hopes and optimism for the club just vanished.

If anyone really thinks this bloke could give two fucks about Aston Villa then I hope and pray that you are right and I am wrong but like so many misguided moves of the past, this has all the hallmarks of a gamble that just won't work.
Spot on. Do we have a plan? A scouting network? Someone watching the budget? We appear to me as much of a shambles as at any point in the last 10 years. 

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2017, 07:18:20 AM »
Bang

All my hopes and optimism for the club just vanished.

If anyone really thinks this bloke could give two fucks about Aston Villa then I hope and pray that you are right and I am wrong but like so many misguided moves of the past, this has all the hallmarks of a gamble that just won't work.
Spot on. Do we have a plan? A scouting network? Someone watching the budget? We appear to me as much of a shambles as at any point in the last 10 years.

This for me as well

Offline luca_30

« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2017, 07:43:02 AM »
This feels very familiar to the Brexit argument. Pro-Brexit = Pro Terry? A punt in the dark on something that might turn out alright (but isn't likely) but able to split us all.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2017, 07:51:37 AM »
If I look past his obvious character flaws and look from a playing perspective, if he is fit and on the pitch, and is motivated, he should be more than good enough at this level. The fitness is a big question though. Also I do struggle to look past those character flaws.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal