collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 552766 times)

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #2835 on: March 22, 2018, 05:16:21 PM »
I am suprised Terry only has 78 england caps

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2836 on: March 22, 2018, 05:35:04 PM »
So following your example, why weren't Round and Wyness talking about how its great to have Lansbury at the club who Grealish can look up to and learn from?  The logical answer would be that Lansbury isn't going above and beyond - so why not?  He's not in the team so he should be busting a gut to do so. 

If he is doing as you say, but Round and Wyness are only fawning over Terry I'd be pretty pissed off if I was Lansbury.  Wouldn't you?

If it's just that Terry's a role model because he's won trophies then why isn't Birkir a role model because he was part of an Iceland team that knocked England out of the Euros, or why isn't Hutton a role model because he's played in the Champions League?

I'm not getting shirty for no reason.  Chelsea players should be turning up at the Villa and being impressed at the fact they're at a proper, big club, not turning up showing the rest of the place up for it's unprofessionalism.

He was responding to a question about John Terry. Telling us about Lansbury's training regime would have been an odd answer.

If you are pissed off at some of the unprofessional wasters we have had there in recent years then I agree with you. But I can't work out whether you are most annoyed that players who haven't played at the very top of the game aren't as awe inspiring to youngsters as some who has. Or whether you are just annoyed he came from Chelsea.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2837 on: March 22, 2018, 06:06:54 PM »
I think the point being made is that John Terry despite winning what he has, and now in the twilight of his career still operates at a very high level where many other players (as a general statement) in their final years would coast. And that has been really well received at the club not just by other senior players who may have thought they were doing enough and have stepped things up, but critically it has had a positive influence on younger players, most notably Jack Grealish.

Terry had nothing to prove coming to us. Many saw it as an easy pay day for him. But clearly he hasn't seen it that way and is not only enjoying his football, is leaving a very positive impression on others at the club. Something that has been sorely missing.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2838 on: March 22, 2018, 06:16:54 PM »
So following your example, why weren't Round and Wyness talking about how its great to have Lansbury at the club who Grealish can look up to and learn from?  The logical answer would be that Lansbury isn't going above and beyond - so why not?  He's not in the team so he should be busting a gut to do so. 

If he is doing as you say, but Round and Wyness are only fawning over Terry I'd be pretty pissed off if I was Lansbury.  Wouldn't you?

If it's just that Terry's a role model because he's won trophies then why isn't Birkir a role model because he was part of an Iceland team that knocked England out of the Euros, or why isn't Hutton a role model because he's played in the Champions League?

I'm not getting shirty for no reason.  Chelsea players should be turning up at the Villa and being impressed at the fact they're at a proper, big club, not turning up showing the rest of the place up for it's unprofessionalism.

He was responding to a question about John Terry. Telling us about Lansbury's training regime would have been an odd answer.

If you are pissed off at some of the unprofessional wasters we have had there in recent years then I agree with you. But I can't work out whether you are most annoyed that players who haven't played at the very top of the game aren't as awe inspiring to youngsters as some who has. Or whether you are just annoyed he came from Chelsea.

I suspect the issue is that it shouldn't take someone coming in from a club like that to make us realise just how shit we've been when we've signed players with good reputations, etc.  I'd counter that with a suggestion that the reason Terry has all the trophies he has is because he has the sort of attitude that means he'll do more.  Most players will either do as much as they're asked to and nothing more or try to get away with doing less.  The ones that make it to the very top level of the game tend to do a lot more on top.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2839 on: March 22, 2018, 07:16:37 PM »
I think the point being made is that John Terry despite winning what he has, and now in the twilight of his career still operates at a very high level where many other players (as a general statement) in their final years would coast. And that has been really well received at the club not just by other senior players who may have thought they were doing enough and have stepped things up, but critically it has had a positive influence on younger players, most notably Jack Grealish.

Terry had nothing to prove coming to us. Many saw it as an easy pay day for him. But clearly he hasn't seen it that way and is not only enjoying his football, is leaving a very positive impression on others at the club. Something that has been sorely missing.

Agreed.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2840 on: March 22, 2018, 07:26:34 PM »

I suspect the issue is that it shouldn't take someone coming in from a club like that to make us realise just how shit we've been when we've signed players with good reputations, etc.  I'd counter that with a suggestion that the reason Terry has all the trophies he has is because he has the sort of attitude that means he'll do more.  Most players will either do as much as they're asked to and nothing more or try to get away with doing less.  The ones that make it to the very top level of the game tend to do a lot more on top.

Also agreed. If my Director is playing golf with a prospective business partner then I run the ship at work. Others of equal grade might not like that or me but shit gets done and nothing bad comes of it they might have to pick up upon their return.

But, when in charge, I am the first one into the office and the last to leave. I explain to quite junior members of staff what I am doing and why if they ask. My lot up their game to fill in for me and start asking for extra work they would avoid like the plague normally.

If someone you know well raises that bar then most follow and the useless shits you already know about will regress. I don't like John Terry as a bloke and never will. But I do understand how setting an example to seasoned Pro's might just drag a bit extra out of them. Whether on the training pitch (write a technical training pack for a new starter) or them thinking "I cod do more to take this youngster under my wing, show them how to succeed and share the pit falls I had fighting the world ten years ago".

It must be a good thing.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2841 on: March 22, 2018, 07:38:35 PM »

Was behind Campbell and Ferdinand for a few years then he didn't play while the him being a racist thing was being investigated.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #2842 on: March 22, 2018, 08:44:10 PM »

Was behind Campbell and Ferdinand for a few years then he didn't play while the him being a racist thing was being investigated.

fair enough I noticed Ashley Cole got 30 more

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2843 on: March 22, 2018, 08:49:42 PM »

He was just married to a racist!

Offline Diablo

« Reply #2844 on: March 23, 2018, 01:53:54 PM »

He was just married to a racist!
Useless bit of info but Cheryl was apparently seeing Kieron Dyer on the quiet when that alleged racist toilet incident took place. In a recent interview he said that it was absolute nonsense/bollocks and there was no way she was racist but wasn't able to say at the time because their affair was all hush hush.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2845 on: April 22, 2018, 07:46:08 PM »
We have looked quite solid with Jedinak at the back in the last few games.  Terry is said to be on 60k a week, even if we don't go up, I think Terry's legs are going quickly and think we should should part company at the end of the season.  Great for the dressing room, really professional and worth keeping on, on the coaching side, but for me, not as a player, especially if we can spend his salary wisely. If we DO go up this season, I still think the same applies. 

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2846 on: April 22, 2018, 08:29:08 PM »
Have we conceded a goal whilst the number 26 hasn’t been playing?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2847 on: April 22, 2018, 08:32:08 PM »
Have we conceded a goal whilst the number 26 hasn’t been playing?

Nope, 3 clean sheets in a row since he picked up his knock.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2848 on: April 22, 2018, 08:47:24 PM »
Jedinak can do a job there but he also did have a shocker against Sheffield United before xmas with people screaming blue murder on here if he was ever picked at CB again.

Need Terry fit for the play offs.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2849 on: April 22, 2018, 09:20:56 PM »
Horses for courses. Against the more direct sides, Jedinak is okay there. Otherwise, Terry's nous in the position is almost peerless.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal