collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549683 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #1965 on: September 21, 2017, 11:19:09 PM »
He’s had to go in, and I think he’s been asked by the manager to try and get things and standards and lifting everybody. And he’s doing that well, but it takes time sometimes

Call me an old fashioned cynic but is this the real reason Bruce got him in - to motivate so he does not have to or seemingly can't do?

That does lead to an interesting discussion of what Bruce is actually doing:
-He isn't coaching, he rarely goes on the training ground by all accounts and last time we had a couple of weeks without a game he took a holiday.
-He appears to have delegated motivation to his captain based on that quote
-He doesn't seem to study the opposition because all too often we get caught out by things he should have known if he had.
-He doesn't do tactics (his own words).
He's not working to improve the scouting network of coaching structure, that's Round's job.

Have I missed anything?

No different to MON really.

Many British managers are old school in that respect as Cloughie was like that, turning up on the Thursday/Friday to pick the team and not really focus on the opposition.

I know Warnock never really turns up to training before the day of the game (dosen't restrict him getting a result on the Saturday) and MON was the same at Leicester and apparently here.

Plenty of good british and foreign players have played under SB at various clubs so the only way you can answer this is asking one of them if you stumble across them in a town centre and how he differs from other managers they've played for.

This reminds me of a post on here just before MON left when a poster had apparently come across a Villa player at the time at a mutual friends party. He started going on to the player about MON being a great motivator and man manager and the player shot him back a look that he'd had a s*** on the carpet.

I would guess that was one of our bomb squad players at the time but does kind of show perceptions from media/fanbase can be out of kilter with the actual managerial ability.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1966 on: September 21, 2017, 11:33:08 PM »
I've had a read of the posts on here and decided to have a rethink and maybe give him a chance, clean slate and all that.

With that in mind, I still hate him and wish he wasn't anywhere near Aston Villa.
If he has a great season and leads us to promotion will you, in hindsight, be glad that he played for us?

It would be a case he did the job he stated he'd do for us and fair play but he wouldn't go down in a legends list that's for sure.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1967 on: September 21, 2017, 11:36:42 PM »
Terry drove himself to Norwich, when he wasn't selected, or asked to go, just to support the other players. That's not someone who doesn't give a shit.

We played Norwich at home didn't we? Colchester I think?

I think the schedule is he plays the Saturday game, day off Sunday which he spends in Surrey, comes up on Monday to train and stay up if there's a Tuesday game, day off Wednesday and then next two days prepares for the next weekend game.

Two days out of seven he'll spend at home and the rest up here.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1968 on: September 21, 2017, 11:41:21 PM »
Terry drove himself to Norwich, when he wasn't selected, or asked to go, just to support the other players. That's not someone who doesn't give a shit.

We played Norwich at home didn't we? Colchester I think?

I think the schedule is he plays the Saturday game, day off Sunday which he spends in Surrey, comes up on Monday to train and stay up if there's a Tuesday game, day off Wednesday and then next two days prepares for the next weekend game.

Two days out of seven he'll spend at home and the rest up here.

Yep, wrong game, thanks.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1969 on: September 22, 2017, 04:25:42 AM »
I don't understand how a manager can do his job effectively without spending significant time at the Training Ground with the players.
Maybe not every day but most days.
The first thing is what do the players think if the Manager can't be bothered to turn up?
I don't know how common this is at Villa but would be concerned if true.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #1970 on: September 22, 2017, 06:45:57 AM »
I don't understand how a manager can do his job effectively without spending significant time at the Training Ground with the players.
The first thing is what do the players think if the Manager can't be bothered to turn up?

He would have instructed his coaches on what he wants.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1971 on: September 22, 2017, 06:57:02 AM »
Morley said Saunders treated you as if you didn't exist if you were injured or not in his plans, as you were of no use to him. O'Neill was similar.

He'd do a Thursday and Friday then drop something Churchillian to get them up for it Saturday. He was obviously pretty good at it until 2010.

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #1972 on: September 22, 2017, 04:16:42 PM »

That's why they is a large team of coaches. Bruce likely doesn't have time to be on the training pitch all day everyday with running a team. He likely has meetings with the executives, medical team, scouts, coaches, planning schedules, reviewing opposition videos, discussing contracts for players and staff etc etc.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #1973 on: September 22, 2017, 04:29:29 PM »

That's why they is a large team of coaches. Bruce likely doesn't have time to be on the training pitch all day everyday with running a team. He likely has meetings with the executives, medical team, scouts, coaches, planning schedules, reviewing opposition videos, discussing contracts for players and staff etc etc.

No disrespect , canadian but having watched Villa this last twelve months, not sure Stevie wonder does any of the things you suggest. particularly watch videos of the opposition. maybe watches videoes of various eateries as he does seem to be piling the lard back on.

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #1974 on: September 22, 2017, 09:56:00 PM »

No disrespect , canadian but having watched Villa this last twelve months, not sure Stevie wonder does any of the things you suggest. particularly watch videos of the opposition. maybe watches videoes of various eateries as he does seem to be piling the lard back on.

You are quite likely correct. My comment was based on what I reckon a manager SHOULD be doing (in my own humble opinion of course)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1975 on: September 22, 2017, 10:21:20 PM »

You are quite likely correct. My comment was based on what I reckon a manager SHOULD be doing (in my own humble opinion of course)
Of course they have to do all that and this is activity carried out at the training ground, so not turning up at BH
Is a deriliction of duty.
Notice I said training ground not Training Pitch.
Lost in translation?

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #1976 on: September 22, 2017, 10:51:05 PM »

Im sure he has been doing all that for all of the 4 months he has been with us

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #1977 on: September 25, 2017, 06:31:22 PM »

Im sure he has been doing all that for all of the 4 months he has been with us

I'm sure too, but the point is that he can't be doing everything. He cant do all those duties and be on the training ground every day. If he is then no wonder he is getting late night takeaways all the time!

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1978 on: September 25, 2017, 06:45:51 PM »
Not a dig, and I can't be arsed with a fight over it, but Bruce doesn't take a single training session with the team. He sometimes watches them, but doesn't take them himself.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1979 on: September 25, 2017, 07:39:49 PM »
Not a dig, and I can't be arsed with a fight over it, but Bruce doesn't take a single training session with the team. He sometimes watches them, but doesn't take them himself.

My best man worked for him at Wigan. Said exactly the same then.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal