collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 550021 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #1680 on: July 16, 2017, 09:25:27 PM »
I've been thinking similarly on 352. But decided I was being too frit.

If we ever play Baker as a left wing back I honestly might give up

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1681 on: July 16, 2017, 09:50:36 PM »
maybe the defence wasn't the problem - defensively - but they couldn't be trusted to start effective attacks and use the ball well. Hopefully with terry and Chester that will mean we can turn defence into attack a lot quicker.

None of our centre midfielders have the gumption to take the ball from the back, huge problem allied to the club footed duo of Baker and Hutton. Johnstone doesn't look comfortable with the ball at his feet either.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1682 on: July 16, 2017, 11:05:37 PM »
We've just been pwn'd in the social media stakes for best way to announce a new signing.
Stuey fucking Taylor! His accountant must worship him:
https://mobile.twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/status/885551913856630784

Offline stuart445

« Reply #1683 on: July 16, 2017, 11:16:10 PM »
I can't believe people can say our defence wasn't a problem last season

Under RDM we conceded about 6 vital goals in the last five minutes including some fucking ridiculous ones. We'd have bee top four by the time he left without that

Bruce tightened it up, but we still conceded stupid important goals (off the top of my head: elphick falling over v Ipswich, Gollini rushing out v Leeds, baker getting turned at about 2 mph against Brighton at home - unlucky w the pen tho - I'm sure Amavi cost us about three by himself didn't he?).

Definitely scope for improvement (albeit Johnstone and Taylor already achieved some of that by the end of the year)

Having one of the leagues best defences proves you to be wrong about defence being a problem.

conceded one of the fewest goals but scored one of the fewest amount of goals those are the facts and you think our defence was a problem oh dear

When a team concedes very few goals but scores very few goals it's clear where the problem lies it's not rocket science to be honest but it does seem to be beyond some people.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:19:29 PM by stuart445 »

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #1684 on: July 16, 2017, 11:37:26 PM »

Under RDM we conceded about 6 vital goals in the last five minutes including some fucking ridiculous ones. We'd have bee top four by the time he left without that

Bruce tightened it up, but we still conceded stupid important goals (off the top of my head: elphick falling over v Ipswich, Gollini rushing out v Leeds, baker getting turned at about 2 mph against Brighton at home - unlucky w the pen tho - I'm sure Amavi cost us about three by himself didn't he?).

Definitely scope for improvement (albeit Johnstone and Taylor already achieved some of that by the end of the year)

Having one of the leagues best defences proves you to be wrong about defence being a problem.

conceded one of the fewest goals but scored one of the fewest amount of goals those are the facts and you think our defence was a problem oh dear

When a team concedes very few goals but scores very few goals it's clear where the problem lies it's not rocket science to be honest but it does seem to be beyond some people.

The defence was a problem, hence much of the season employing a deep lying midfield to offer some protection. This in turn meant our attacking threat was reduced. Too early to know for sure but I imagine that Bruce's thinking is that with Terry there the midfield should have a bit more freedom.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #1685 on: July 17, 2017, 12:08:56 AM »

The defence was a problem, hence much of the season employing a deep lying midfield to offer some protection. This in turn meant our attacking threat was reduced. Too early to know for sure but I imagine that Bruce's thinking is that with Terry there the midfield should have a bit more freedom.

Whereas RDM when was playing more attacking football we were scoring for fun

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1686 on: July 17, 2017, 12:10:05 AM »

Don't see that Chris because Terry being in there means we will not be wanting to leave much space in behind us, so will defend deep.  It was the tactics last season of having our wide players defending five yards in front of our full-backs that I found infuriating. 

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1687 on: July 17, 2017, 12:18:26 AM »
I'm beginning to come round to the thinking that we've got no choice but to go 3-5-2. Taylor, Terry, Chester as the 3. Wing backs being Elmohamady and maybe Thor (Obvious other options being Baker/Taylor, three in the middle being Lansbury, Hourihane and one more (Jedinak/new holding player/Grealish/Thor), with two of Hogan/Green/Kodjia/Adomah/ someone else I've forgotten about.

I don't particularly like the system and think we should even be going to 4-51/4-3-3 but i don't think Bruce knows how to knock the players into a decent unit using 4-4-2.

Can't see Taylor playing as part of back three to be honest and he plays left wing-back for Wales (though it doesn't really suit him).  Jedinak might drop into the back three, or Baker or Toner might feature on the left of the three.  The only other question then would be regarding the shape of the midfield three.  There is the one holding and two more advanced shape or alternatively the two holding and one advanced shape.

I'm not totally against it, but it hasn't worked when we have tried it in the past.  Lambert's flat back five with three central midfielders and absolutely acres out wide for the opposition full backs to have a field day was a complete disaster. 

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #1688 on: July 17, 2017, 02:15:12 AM »

I suspect we'll still need Jedinak in there if it's going to be a back 4 with Terry in it. Maybe the solution might be having Terry try and play passes directly to the likes of Hourihane, Grealish, and Lansbury up the pitch, rather than going through Jedinak first? Last season we had no choice but to rely on Jedinak to build our play with just Baker and Chester.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #1689 on: July 17, 2017, 07:35:55 AM »
Only saw the highlights on the telly, but when Terry got nut megged by that top division 3 player, I have seen people on the iron man challenge get through mud quicker than Terry turned!

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #1690 on: July 17, 2017, 07:53:18 AM »
Only saw the highlights on the telly, but when Terry got nut megged by that top division 3 player, I have seen people on the iron man challenge get through mud quicker than Terry turned!

Bloody hell Sid. Ironman events are hard enough without wading through mud.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1691 on: July 17, 2017, 10:15:17 AM »

I disagree. Liverpool always used to have one of the best defensive records with scales, babb and ruddock. But in the big games they conceded sloppy goals. Our defence is good enough against teams in the bottom half but not good enough against teams in the top 8 or so in my view. I'm pretty sure we didn't keep a clean sheet away against any of them; and we conceded bad goals as I said above

It's the strongest part of our team and stronger with the signings we've made since Jan. But it was a problem last season because we lost important goals stupidly

Offline stuart445

« Reply #1692 on: July 17, 2017, 10:20:47 AM »

I disagree. Liverpool always used to have one of the best defensive records with scales, babb and ruddock. But in the big games they conceded sloppy goals. Our defence is good enough against teams in the bottom half but not good enough against teams in the top 8 or so in my view. I'm pretty sure we didn't keep a clean sheet away against any of them; and we conceded bad goals as I said above

It's the strongest part of our team and stronger with the signings we've made since Jan. But it was a problem last season because we lost important goals stupidly

Again we need to score goals, how many times did we score more than 1 in a game, keeping clean sheets is all well and good but when you can't score what's the point as drawing more than we win isn't going to get us promoted

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1693 on: July 17, 2017, 10:24:13 AM »
We both agree on that front - that's the biggest problem to fix

But as others say above. Bruce reacted to our brittleness by deciding we needed to play deep, get bodies around Jedinak, and put energy (e.g. Bacuna) ahead of flair (e.g. Grealish)

Hopefully if we're stronger at the back we can afford to be more creative with the rest of the team. Though how far Bruce is ready to do that; and whether a team with Terry and Jedinak can squeeze the play is debatable

Offline stuart445

« Reply #1694 on: July 17, 2017, 03:51:06 PM »
We both agree on that front - that's the biggest problem to fix

But as others say above. Bruce reacted to our brittleness by deciding we needed to play deep, get bodies around Jedinak, and put energy (e.g. Bacuna) ahead of flair (e.g. Grealish)

Hopefully if we're stronger at the back we can afford to be more creative with the rest of the team. Though how far Bruce is ready to do that; and whether a team with Terry and Jedinak can squeeze the play is debatable

And as has also been pointed out having a 36 year old who had no pace when he was in his prime so will have even less now he's in his twilight of his career, that'll mean we'll have to defend deep so that Terry isn't caught out of position and being to slow to recover.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal