collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 12:05:47 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Other Games - 2017/18  (Read 721771 times)

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Other Games - 2017/18
« Reply #6345 on: April 22, 2018, 11:15:14 PM »
This myth that the Premier League is the best league in the world is a load of bollox.  Outside of the top 5/6 clubs what is there for the rest to aim for, avoiding relegation and that's it. Well whoopee doo what a load of fun that is. Leicester winning the title was a one off perfect storm for them before normality has resumed. I have enjoyed this season to be honest despite some frustrating results.
As for the champions league or any cup competitions, I haven't watched any of them. I don't watch MOTD either.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6346 on: April 22, 2018, 11:32:58 PM »
Me too.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #6347 on: April 22, 2018, 11:50:19 PM »
I've gone from a football tragic who watched anything that moved to now only watching the Villa games.

I could name the participants of every FA Cup final between 1973 and 2000 but couldn't tell you with 100% certainty the name of the current holders.

The main reason I hope we get promoted is the financial benefits, not because the PL is the be all and end all, that makes me sad. I often feel that football is a perfect mirror for society over the last 40 years, it's all about over hype, unfair distribution of wealth and shallow, bullshit marketing crap the masses buy into.

Pitches are better though.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #6348 on: April 23, 2018, 07:53:50 AM »
Yet another two from top 6 final that no one will remember in years to come. FA cup is so boring when it was once the stuff of dreams.

Tell that to Wigan.

In the 25 years of the Premier League only Portsmouth and Wigan have won it outside the big clubs. Arsenal have won it seven times, Chelsea 6, United 5,  Liverpool twice and Man City and Everton once each. 8 winners in 25 years. In the previous 25 years there were 15 different winners.

the biggest difference since I was a lad (long time ago) is that lots of teams including us don't even give it a go, they've given up before they even start
playing a weakened side that goes out at a wimper and even the fans make the excuses of bigger fish to fry

it is THE one I want to see us win but it's not going to happen because we along with loads more don't care about the FA cup anymore (apart from Sherwood)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #6349 on: April 23, 2018, 09:45:55 AM »
We do care about it. With the exception of changing goalkeepers, we tend to play near enough a full-strength team apart from the one game when Houllier had us enter the pitch waving a white flag.

We just don't win the cup because we aren't very good at football.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6350 on: April 23, 2018, 09:54:35 AM »
I've gone from a football tragic who watched anything that moved to now only watching the Villa games.

I could name the participants of every FA Cup final between 1973 and 2000 but couldn't tell you with 100% certainty the name of the current holders.

Same here.  The FA Cup final used to be a bit of an occasion.  It almost didn't matter who was in the final, we'd gather at someone's house to watch it, usually with some beer and snacks etc.  These days, don't recall the last time I bothered to watch it, other than when we got battered by Arsenal of course.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6351 on: April 23, 2018, 09:59:12 AM »
We do care about it. With the exception of changing goalkeepers, we tend to play near enough a full-strength team apart from the one game when Houllier had us enter the pitch waving a white flag.

Have you forgotten this year's disaster at home to Peterborough.  Loads of changes, shit performance.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #6352 on: April 23, 2018, 10:10:01 AM »
I remember the days when we would all gather round to watch the Cup Final.  The special editions of Question of Sport, the fun and frolics with possibly Morecambe and Wise.  The celebrity game featuring amongst others, Robin Asquith.  Then at Half Time me and my mate would go out onto the grass close to the dangerously busy road by my mum and dads and replay the first half.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #6353 on: April 23, 2018, 10:27:40 AM »
Third round day has certainly declined as a football occasion.

When I started following football in the late 90s it was still one of the biggest dates in the season but now the games are staggered over all the days and as is said many teams will put out reserve teams.

Probably started when they played it in December one year.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6354 on: April 23, 2018, 10:56:25 AM »
For me, all the measures introduced to "save" The Cup have been nails in the coffin.
Scrapping second replays.
A ten day gap between matches.
Playing a semi final at Wembley.
Playing ALL semis at Wembley.
Now scrapping QF replays.
Using it to trial AVR.

"There's a few gaps in the fixture schedule. Invent something to wedge in. Bit of a laugh, nothing serious. Think T20". To me, this is what it is now. The grand old dame of world club football has shuffled off, and been replaced by a forgettable X-Factor winner.

I still want us to win it, mind.

Offline papa lazarou

• GM : 06.11.2020
« Reply #6355 on: April 23, 2018, 11:14:05 AM »
I remember the days when we would all gather round to watch the Cup Final.  The special editions of Question of Sport, the fun and frolics with possibly Morecambe and Wise.  The celebrity game featuring amongst others, Robin Asquith.  Then at Half Time me and my mate would go out onto the grass close to the dangerously busy road by my mum and dads and replay the first half.

That rings a bell. The road to Wembley, interviews on the coach.......jumpers for goalposts etc..
And a three o'clock kick off.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #6356 on: April 23, 2018, 11:18:54 AM »

That rings a bell. The road to Wembley, interviews on the coach.......jumpers for goalposts etc..
And a three o'clock kick off.

Hadn't it used to be 3.30?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #6357 on: April 23, 2018, 11:51:20 AM »

Have you forgotten this year's disaster at home to Peterborough.  Loads of changes, shit performance.

Okay then, we always treated it seriously when we were in the Premier League and had a, theoretical, chance of winning it.

Anyway, we didn't exactly play a youth side. The only one who doesn't play regularly was O'Hare, and that was because Hogan and Kodjia were injured and Grabban hadn't signed yet.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #6358 on: April 23, 2018, 12:05:17 PM »
Even fewer. Take out Leicester and Blackburn, there's only been four winners.

Before that, there'd also be us, Forest, Leeds, Derby, Everton, Liverpool. But not Chelsea. Cos they were shit.
That’s what I thought but couldn’t be bothered to find out. It’s strange to me that attendances are so high in PL considering it’s lost competitiveness.

From the fall of Keegan in 1997 to the rise of cit£h in 2011, other than one third-place appearance each from Leeds and Newcastle, the top three were permed from manu, 'The Mighty Reds YNWA', chelski and the arse.

There's always been times when a couple or three sides would boss the top slots for a few seasons, but that period was fucking ridiculous.

Even in the years Liverpool dominated the league, at least the runners up spot was far more varied than today. Between 1973 and 1990 Liverpool were champions eleven times. The runners up in that period were Liverpool themselves, Arsenal, QPR, Man City, Forest, Man U, Ipswich, Watford, Southamption, Everton and Villa. Eleven different teams, bsaically half of the league were strong enough to finish runners up at one time or another.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:09:46 PM by Damo70 »

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #6359 on: April 23, 2018, 12:30:10 PM »

Same here.  The FA Cup final used to be a bit of an occasion.  It almost didn't matter who was in the final, we'd gather at someone's house to watch it, usually with some beer and snacks etc.  These days, don't recall the last time I bothered to watch it, other than when we got battered by Arsenal of course.

Me too. I can take a stab at recent finals but not state the teams with any certainty. Last one I really enjoyed was Wigan v Abu Dhabi FC, although the Hull v Arsenal one had a good plot but tailed away at the end.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal