collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your biggest let down as a Villa fan  (Read 22141 times)

Offline Lobsterboy

Re: Your biggest let down as a Villa fan
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2017, 01:21:25 PM »
I think the non displays in the FA Cup Finals in 2000 and 2015 have to be up there as we simply didn't turn up for either match but for me personally it has to be the humiliation of failing to beat Bradford, over two legs, for a place in the League Cup Final.

I had foolishly assumed we would have way too much for them over the two legs but we were deservedly beaten by a side two leagues below us that then went on to lose the final 0-5 to Swansea. I never forgave Lambert for that defeat and the disappointment I felt when the final whistle went.

It's a bit like therapy this thread!

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2017, 10:10:40 PM »
The Arsenal cup final wasn't even close and to be fair they played well on the day. The Chelsea final was a far worse feeling, probably as I was only 13 at the time aswell. They were poor on the day and it was a terrible final but we just never turned up.

Carling Cup Final 2010. We should have been a goal AND a man up early on. The fact it was against them made it worse and just added to the years of misery against them. Knowing us and our record against them we'd have probably still lost against ten men.

Bradford. To lose to a League Two team over two legs to reach a major final will always be unforgivable. It was the manner in which we lost aswell, outplayed away and then they were comfortable in the second half of the second leg. A League Two team strolling about while their fans did the oles. Up there with Doncaster as the most embarrassed I've felt as a Villa fan.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »
I can never get worked-up about 2010. Taking the game to a 10-man Yanited team, we wouldn't have known what to do. O'Neill and front-foot against a big team didn't happen that often.
They probably would have played us at our own game and burned us on the break.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2017, 06:25:18 PM »
We would've been o.k in that situation I reckon. We'd taken 4 points that season off them so the inferiority complex had (temporarily) disappeared at that time.

Wembley is a different sort of feeling as Spurs are finding out again. Bigger pitch, not a great surface so very difficult for a team playing with 10 men for 85 minutes. I'd have fancied Gabby or Young to have nicked another on the break. Would also imagine Fergie would've taken off Owen to bring on another midfielder.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2017, 06:10:20 PM »
Yes, Owen would definitely have gone off.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2017, 05:43:14 PM »
The wembley pitch is same length and only a metre wider than villa park.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2017, 08:03:35 PM »
The wembley pitch is same length and only a metre wider than villa park.

It's perceptions though that affect things mentally. Wembley "big pitch", "draining day" even if it's not that bigger than many premier league games just like Stoke "cold, windy day" when it's 25 degrees there.

From watching countless England games it does seem to be a pitch that is slowly moving when playing crossfield balls so 10 men would be very tough whoever you are.

I think we'd have been in a very strong position to win the game anyway.

Spurs can't win a game there anyway and yet they went to Everton and turned them over 3-0 today no problem.

Offline ajmant

« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2017, 12:40:44 PM »
Not so much a specific match. All those last minute winners against us since about 2011. We have a soft underbelly, we have it tickled, we concede. Every time it happens it still hurts even though its so predictable.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2017, 09:17:17 PM »
Games against the shite between 2002-2005. The cup loss against them in 2010
The 2 1 defeat to away to albion in 2011 - they were a man down and we should have strolled it.
2000 cup final and 2015 cup final
The Bradford defeat, Millwall defeat and letting a 2 goal lead against Albion in the space of 6 days
The Bolton semi final defeat

Offline sid1964

« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2021, 10:30:35 AM »
The biggest let down for me was the West Ham away cup quarter final - that was our season to win the cup

They were in the 2nd division at the time!

If anyone can bear to watch this game it is on the big match re-visited on Saturday 29th May

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2021, 12:52:20 PM »
The biggest was probably the first, just as I was becoming obsessed with Villa and on the promise of going to Wembley if we'd won, the Milk Cup semi with Oxford.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2021, 01:04:34 PM »
The biggest was probably the first, just as I was becoming obsessed with Villa and on the promise of going to Wembley if we'd won, the Milk Cup semi with Oxford.

Oh yes, that’s probably mine too. Even though I was living here in Devon I had been to enough matches to get a cup final ticket.

Offline Martin Carruthers

« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2021, 01:07:37 PM »
Not winning the league in 89/90 for me. The first season I can remember - spoilt!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2021, 04:32:19 PM »
Losing to a last minute penalty at West Ham in the FA Cup quarter final in 1980.

Losing to Penarol in the World Club Cup in Tokyo when we had the chance to be world champions.

My favourite Villa player as a kid Tony Morley going on to play for Small Heath and Smethwick.

Coming second in 1990.

SGT leaving for the England job.

Referee Phillip Don giving us f*ck all at Anfield in the 1992 FA Cup quarter final when we would have played lower division Portsmouth and Sunderland in the semi and the final.

Coming second in 1993.

Our no shows (you couldn't use the word performance) in the last two FA Cup finals we got to.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 04:34:42 PM by Damo70 »

Offline cdward

« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2021, 04:44:42 PM »
Doug Ellis

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal