collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your biggest let down as a Villa fan  (Read 22149 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Your biggest let down as a Villa fan
« on: June 18, 2017, 11:45:46 AM »
For me this is an easy one - West Ham away in our FA Cup 1980.  After struggling to beat Cambridge and Blackburn not sure what I should have expected, just given the fact that the happy hammers were a 2nd Division team and we always gave it to them on the pitch.  Really disappointing.  The rest of the season petered out after that culminating  in having to watch Liverpool destroy us last game of the season at Anfield where like West Ham we were up against it on and off the pitch. 

The next 48 months though I was in fantasy land.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Your biggest let down as a Villa fan
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 11:54:15 AM »
Bradford and being finally relegated after "notice of relegation" was served 5 seasons ago.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 11:56:09 AM »
2000 FA Cup Final.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 12:07:48 PM »
Agree that West Ham in 1980 was a big disappointment, especially as those fateful words - our name is on the Cup - was being banded around.  However, as I've argued before, in some ways it may have been for the best that we didn't win it as we could start the following season as an unfancied, unregarded and largely unknown quantity, and without the inconvenience of midweek European football. 

The quarter final Cup exit that book-ended the other end of those glory years was in someways more disappointing, as we knew what the team was capable of and the performance at Highbury was dire. 

The one though that I'm still the most disappointed about was against Liverpool in 1992.  That Liverpool side was mediocre - as their struggle to overcome Portsmouth in the semi-final showed - and then they got to play a second division Sunderland in the final.  I know we've lost in two finals since, but that really was the year.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 12:10:45 PM »
Agree that West Ham in 1980 was a big disappointment, especially as those fateful words - our name is on the Cup - was being banded around.  However, as I've argued before, in some ways it may have been for the best that we didn't win it as we could start the following season as an unfancied, unregarded and largely unknown quantity, and without the inconvenience of midweek European football. 

The quarter final Cup exit that book-ended the other end of those glory years was in someways more disappointing, as we knew what the team was capable of and the performance at Highbury was dire. 

The one though that I'm still the most disappointed about was against Liverpool in 1992.  That Liverpool side was mediocre - as their struggle to overcome Portsmouth in the semi-final showed - and then they got to play a second division Sunderland in the final.  I know we've lost in two finals since, but that really was the year.

We were talking about it only on Friday night. That was the year. 

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 12:58:47 PM »
2000 and 2015 Cup Finals.
The attitude, lack of effort and atmosphere in the relegation season.
Everything surrounding our losses to the knuckledraggers in 02/03.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 01:01:25 PM »
Games vs Birmingham 2002-05. Honestly if it could go wrong in those it did. And we haven't lost to them since.
2010 League Cup Final - i honestly thought we were going to win that.
2015-16 season - it was so bad that even winning sixteen games and only three defeats meant that last season was rather enjoyable for me.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 01:02:48 PM »

We were talking about it only on Friday night. That was the year.

New yellow away kit day? I thought we were unlucky that day. Every decision went their way. We were literally peed on by the ref P. Don.

Being in the away end that day I seem to recall Dean Saunders being rather 'chatty' and sharing his opinions with the ref. And he wasn't the only Liverpool player doing it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 01:07:03 PM by Damo70 »

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 01:04:15 PM »
Yeah both FA Cup finals, I have been lucky enough to have been at all the major successes since 1972 but not witnessed the "Holy Grail" yet. Agree with Legion the way the we didn't "turn up" for either match was shocking and so disappointing.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 01:15:50 PM »
Andy Gray going to Wolves, Tony Morley going to Albion (and ending up in a Small Heath shirt for a brief time), West Ham 1980 (seeing the late goal come up on the screen as a kid watching the wrestling on World Of Sport). Losing our European crown in the Juventus ties. Spartak Moscows late winner. Liverpool quarter defeat in '92 and semi defeat in '96. And of course the two FA cup final defeats and two relegations I have witnessed.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 01:19:07 PM »
Going out to Trabzonspor in 1994.

Leicester coming back to snatch a 4-4. It was hell as a
Villa fan going to school in Leicester for many years.

Collymore in general.

Falling away in the 98-99 season.

2000 FA Cup final.

Man Utd coming back to beat us 3-2 in 2002.

All Blues games from 2002-2005.

Bolton semi in 2004.

Stern John

Not qualifying for Europe in O'Leary's first season.

Losing 8-0 to Chelsea and pretty much all of Lambert's reign.

The cup final 2 years ago.

Appointing Bruce.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 01:29:36 PM »
I watched the United cup comeback in my local pub. I genuinely wasn't aware of any United fans in the place until they went ahead. Not a f***ing peep out of them before that!

Offline Zouch Villa

• GM : 12.02.2024
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 01:33:17 PM »
Think you've pretty much covered everything Axl. #whathesaid

Offline supertom

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 01:53:18 PM »
The two FA Cup finals. Very disappointing. The Chelsea game was fucking awful because they barely turned up either but meandered to a very comfortable win in one of the worst cup finals for a neutral ever.
The Arsenal game was just horrific because we were naive, sloppy, totally lacking in desire, effort and quality. That really showed Sherwood's true colours. Probably even more so than the Southampton mauling. By the time we'd closed the season in the most pathetic way imaginable, we could all sense the guy had absolutely nothing about him at all. A fuck brained geezer pleaser and not much else.

It's more sad because we got through great games in both those cup runs and to not show up in the final (twice) is unforgivable. We weren't great in the LC final either but we gave a better account of ourselves I suppose, and we also had to contend with dire refereeing.

Offline Jane

• GM : 02.07.2021
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 02:59:34 PM »
Two for me - 2000 Cup Final and when Yorkie left 😢

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal