collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by brontebilly
[Today at 09:53:18 AM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by brontebilly
[Today at 09:51:18 AM]

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by trinityoap
[Today at 09:49:17 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:47:46 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by LeeB
[Today at 09:40:54 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Astnor
[Today at 09:34:17 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 09:32:44 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: U20 world cup victory  (Read 3397 times)

Offline adrenachrome

Re: U20 world cup victory
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 12:04:48 AM »
Rooney scored, caused us loads of problems both games and hit the crossbar with a screamer, he was only 16 at the time while most other players were 18 or 19.

Yes. Everyone who saw the matches recognised Rooney's undoubted ability.

It is true that Liam Ridgewell had a couple of good games.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 12:55:39 AM »
Villa were far better than Everton, but Rooney was the most promising player over the two legs.

Offline bobcat

• GM : 01.06.2017
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 04:00:15 AM »
The first leg at Goodison Rooney hardly saw the ball. The second leg he was fantastic but we'd already won the tie.

I rated Wayne Henderson and always thought it was a shame he didn't play more for us, especially at a time we had an ageing Schmeichel then Enkleman.

Offline trevor fisher

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 08:59:16 AM »
Rooney did very well in that game, and at Villa Park - I did not see the Everton leg - he was superb and looked like  a25 year old at age 17. Hitting the bar - and the villa keeper did not move. And I agree that the chances of getting on in the senior squads are always limited nowadays. But with Villa, the coaching set up has to be a problem. I could not see Albrighton developing as he has with Leicester, and Cahill was risking his career going to a smaller club - but they developed him. Steve Davis likewise and I suspect Barry Bannan will get to a PRem Club as he is playing well regularly.

Jack is =indeed in the U21 squad and he has the talent, but whether the mentality is another matter. How Bruce handles him will be a test of Bruce as well as Grealish. It helps to have other kids around you week to week, and I don't see any others. Little had John Gidman and other good young players on the fringe, its easier to develop with a few mates around. But basically it is down to the people who work with the youngsters at Bodymoor, and I wonder if Andre Green and Co are getting the best coaching. We can pick the talent. What happened to the lad Arsenal paid a fortune for? If he had had a career path at Villa maybe he would have stayed rather than vanishing at the Emirates. Villa are not seen as a place to develop a career. SO we are back to Cahill going.

Given there is no money this season, Bruce has to be seen to develop young talent.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »
...Given there is no money this season, Bruce has to be seen to develop young talent.

And bring in John Terry

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 10:19:56 AM »
Villa were far better than Everton, but Rooney was the most promising player over the two legs.

Rooney was good but my main memory is the Moore brothers were fantastic particularly Stefan.

Didn't he score a wonder goal around the same time as Rooney in the premier league? He quickly drifted down the leagues after we let him go.

Luke Moore is still only about 32 now. More disappointed in him as I thought he showed some good potential in MON's first season but he too drifted away after injury and falling out of favour.

Hunger is everything for young players really. Rooney, Cahill and even Gabby coming through had it, the Moore brothers probably didn't.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 11:14:58 AM »
Stefan Moore seemed to be one of those players who had a trick or two up his sleeve, so would have looked good as a kid and in small patches in big matches, but didn't have the overall ability or desire to make it.  I remember when he played against Charlton (I think) he made one of their players look like an absolute mug.  He later played most of the match away at Blackburn which I went to, and he did absolutely nothing.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2017, 03:25:17 AM »

Rooney was good but my main memory is the Moore brothers were fantastic particularly Stefan.

Didn't he score a wonder goal around the same time as Rooney in the premier league? He quickly drifted down the leagues after we let him go.

Luke Moore is still only about 32 now. More disappointed in him as I thought he showed some good potential in MON's first season but he too drifted away after injury and falling out of favour.

Hunger is everything for young players really. Rooney, Cahill and even Gabby coming through had it, the Moore brothers probably didn't.

If I remember the first leg at Goodison Park was just after an England age game which Rooney had played in.  To be fair to Flinstone he  was the talk of the town at Youth level.  There was a rumour that Manchester City had tried to brown envelope his father.  At Villa  Park in the 2nd leg although effectively the cup was already won he was the stand out player.  Stefan Moore was good don't go overboard  he was no Ronaldo.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal