collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:33:06 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeS
[Today at 10:18:37 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 10:17:44 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Tayls_7
[Today at 10:17:21 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Nev
[Today at 10:13:27 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 10:10:44 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 10:07:38 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:04:14 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What have these Villa Players all got in common?  (Read 5270 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: What have these Villa Players all got in common?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2017, 09:45:55 PM »
Gavin McCann.
1 cap v Spain in 2001 at VP.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2017, 09:47:15 PM »
Gavin McCann.

He was still at Sunderland then though.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 10:25:17 PM »
Gavin McCann.

He was still at Sunderland then though.

Well done, you spotted my "deliberate" mistake. :-[

Online ez

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »
Nigel Spink played half a game.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 12:11:44 PM »

That was on a three match tour of Australia in 1983 wasn't it? I think Gary Shaw was also in the squad but I'm not sure he actually played.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 12:52:16 PM »

That was on a three match tour of Australia in 1983 wasn't it? I think Gary Shaw was also in the squad but I'm not sure he actually played.
Gary Shaw did go on that tour but was injured so didn't play and eventually never won a cap.

Offline peter w

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 12:59:36 PM »
How was he only capped once for England?  A disgrace. Nearly scores and sets up the equalizer.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 01:13:40 PM »
How was he only capped once for England?  A disgrace. Nearly scores and sets up the equalizer.

I know I am biased but I always believed Gordon Cowans was a better all round player than Glenn Hoddle. One got about fifty caps and the other only got about 10. And whilst I'm on the subject it would appear that in 1982 Graham Rix was a far better choice than Tony Morley for Espana '82.   And just to finish my rant clearly that Dennis Mortimer bloke was obviously considered useless too. Obviously Ron Greenwood and Don Howe thought David Armstrong was better. He hasn't got a league title and European cup winners medal though has he?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 01:19:23 PM »
Am I right in saying that Brian Little, Nigel Spink, Jimmy Rimmer, Mark Walters, Tony Daley and Andy Gray all got one England cap?

Daley was capped seven times.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 01:51:38 PM »
This reminded me of Nick Culkin,Manchester United goalkeeper, who has the shortest premier league career ever, less than one second.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2017, 01:55:40 PM »
Am I right in saying that Brian Little, Nigel Spink, Jimmy Rimmer, Mark Walters, Tony Daley and Andy Gray all got one England cap?

Daley was capped seven times.

That has totally surprised me. One thing I have always defended SGT for is when people have a go at him for picking the likes of Keith Curle, Geoff Thomas, Andy Sinton and David White. Shilton and Butcher had retired, Bryan Robson was as good as finished, Gazza was injured and the likes of Shearer, Anderson, McManaman and the Neville brothers were still just up and coming youngsters. Robson and Venables had far more choice of players at their peak.

Offline peter w

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2017, 10:30:39 PM »

I know I am biased but I always believed Gordon Cowans was a better all round player than Glenn Hoddle. One got about fifty caps and the other only got about 10. And whilst I'm on the subject it would appear that in 1982 Graham Rix was a far better choice than Tony Morley for Espana '82.   And just to finish my rant clearly that Dennis Mortimer bloke was obviously considered useless too. Obviously Ron Greenwood and Don Howe thought David Armstrong was better. He hasn't got a league title and European cup winners medal though has he?

With that big nosed bastard Mariner up top.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2017, 09:18:01 AM »

With that big nosed bastard Mariner up top.

To be fair I'm pretty sure that around the time of the Espana '82 world cup he set a record for scoring in a number of consecutive England games.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2017, 11:38:47 AM »
For Mortimer it was the first time that he would have felt  unwanted.  When he was in junior football he was the last one from his club in Kirkby  to get fixed up with a professional club. 

For all that he had a decent enough career, don't you think.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2017, 06:57:39 PM »

I'm sure I read somewhere in 1982 Peter Withe was the first ever Villa player to be named in an England World Cup squad.

Nobody can take this away from him though:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal