collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Juan Pablo Angel speaks  (Read 7438 times)

Offline stubbsyandy

Re: Juan Pablo Angel speaks
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2017, 10:35:30 AM »
http://youtu.be/XhXzD9VB1o0

Free flowing football remembered

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2017, 10:15:37 PM »
Loved him as a player and was sad to see him leave  however all that changed when I met him.

Sounds intriguing olaftab. Do tell.

C'mon olaftab, what happened?

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2017, 01:27:24 AM »
Like father like son- little Geronimo Angel

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2017, 03:36:46 AM »
Loved him as a player and was sad to see him leave  however all that changed when I met him.

Sounds intriguing olaftab. Do tell.

C'mon olaftab, what happened?
Some years ago I was staying at the Radisson hotel in Liverpool. It was a night of Chanpions League match Liverpool v Galatasaray. At about 10.30 pm I noticed Galatasaray team coach arrive as they were staying at the hotel and players etc started drifting into the reception area. And there stood Angel laughing and joking with their players. Apparently their goal keeper, a fellow Colombian, was his best friend. A few minutes later I noticed Angel on his own and went up to say a word. So I said being a Villa fan I was very pleased to see him and stuck my hand out. He listened  to me with a state of shock on his face and refused to shake my hand and turned away to join a huddle with some other people.  I stood there like a lemon😥

Offline peter w

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2017, 06:38:25 AM »
One good season aside I thought he was poor overall. I doubt he would do much in the Championship team.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »
One good season aside I thought he was poor overall. I doubt he would do much in the Championship team.

Agree on that.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2017, 10:18:10 PM »
As I said at the time some of the posters who joined this board less than 10 years ago wouldn't believe some of the debates we used to have about him.

Can't think of too many Villa players since who've divided this forum like he did.

Offline frank black

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2017, 09:52:51 AM »

Agree on that.

Agreed, he had a cracking season when he needed a new contract or a move (he got the new contract). Needless to say he was pretty average after signing. Seems like a nice chap but not a Villa legend

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2017, 11:22:44 AM »
Even if you didn't rate him, surely you'd have to concede he had two good seasons - his first full one when he scored 16 goals or so and in O'Dreary's first when he got 23.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2017, 12:05:49 PM »
Even if you didn't rate him, surely you'd have to concede he had two good seasons - his first full one when he scored 16 goals or so and in O'Dreary's first when he got 23.

He did, but for me that second season was bitter sweet. Peter Crouch was beginning to find his feet when he came from Norwich on loan, but was struggling for opportunities due to Angel's form.
We ended up selling a player on the rise, and keeping Angel who subsequently did fuck all again.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2017, 05:14:12 PM »

Agree on that.

Agreed, he had a cracking season when he needed a new contract or a move (he got the new contract). Needless to say he was pretty average after signing. Seems like a nice chap but not a Villa legend

Spot on, not quite right for the English league, where to become a success you have to possess incredible pace, outstanding  ball skills or work your balls off, JPA didn't quite tick those boxes.

Offline Kimaster1976

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2017, 12:43:25 PM »
He was always a favourite of mine, had he truly played in a good team i think he would have risen with it, instead he played in mostly pretty poor teams tbf.

I used to enjoy watching highlights of his games in the MLS when he moved to America and he absolutely tore that league apart. Which is to be expected I suppose.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal