collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pre-Season Friendlies  (Read 104654 times)

Offline sirlordbaltimore

Re: Pre-Season Friendlies
« Reply #705 on: July 20, 2017, 07:22:28 PM »

I've only just got over Lansbury's set pieces. Especially the one corner that nearly hit the other one

Offline peter w

« Reply #706 on: July 20, 2017, 08:31:29 PM »
On Twitter people were saying the team got booed off last night. Is that correct?

I wouldn't exactly say "booed off" but there was booing at the final whistle

That's just the sound of the local accent en masse.

Maybe there was a To Kill A Mockingbird Convention nearby.

Online LukeJames

« Reply #707 on: July 20, 2017, 08:33:39 PM »

I've only just got over Lansbury's set pieces. Especially the one corner that nearly hit the other one

Yeah Lansburys deliveries were over hit pretty much all evening. Hourihane put in a couple of good whipped corners in the first half.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #708 on: July 20, 2017, 08:46:16 PM »
I wish Ross McCormack was put back on them. I have no idea how but he consistently puts excellent corners in when he is given the chance.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #709 on: July 21, 2017, 11:00:50 AM »
The Mail is reporting that one of the German games is off but I cannot see anything anywhere else?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-pre-season-game-13363820

Offline Dominic22

« Reply #710 on: July 21, 2017, 12:58:24 PM »
Truly madness. It is on the Vitesse Arnhem site that it is cancelled. I have just come from the ticket office and they had no idea until the manager checked and said "oh yes it is"... irrespective of if another is being organised an announcement would be nice.

For those of us travelling with hotels booked return flights etc.  lots have gone out this morning and the only idea we have is from the team we are playing. They really need to get there crap sorted or at least let us know there is an issue 

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #711 on: July 21, 2017, 01:22:05 PM »
Seems to be a trend in Germany- A (decent) Leeds fan traveled out with about 80 other Leeds fans to find out on the day that one of the tour matches had been cancelled. No message from Leeds Utd via social media just an assumption that if you could afford to travel out there the match been subsequently cancelled would be a minor inconvenience to be dealt with.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #712 on: July 21, 2017, 01:24:18 PM »
Truly madness. It is on the Vitesse Arnhem site that it is cancelled. I have just come from the ticket office and they had no idea until the manager checked and said "oh yes it is"... irrespective of if another is being organised an announcement would be nice.

For those of us travelling with hotels booked return flights etc.  lots have gone out this morning and the only idea we have is from the team we are playing. They really need to get there crap sorted or at least let us know there is an issue

Luckily due to work I am only going sat to Monday but surely villa would or should have known about the issue of two non German teams not allowed to play each other

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #713 on: July 21, 2017, 01:26:03 PM »

Luckily due to work I am only going sat to Monday but surely villa would or should have known about the issue of two non German teams not allowed to play each other

Maybe, but presumably the Dutch side didn't have any idea either.

Offline Dominic22

« Reply #714 on: July 21, 2017, 01:36:06 PM »

Maybe, but presumably the Dutch side didn't have any idea either.

I agree, but we still no announcement and up until about an hour ago the ticket office had no idea either.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #715 on: July 21, 2017, 01:54:37 PM »
As somebody who works in a box office it doesn't surprise me that those on the front line were last to know about any cancellation.

Online frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #716 on: July 21, 2017, 02:25:04 PM »
This is all very unprofessional. The venue of the original game wasn't announced until very late in the day, and it was a small stadium in a town, Erkenschwick, that's difficult to get to by public transport. I thought at the time that Villa didn't seem to realise that some of their fans were staying on in Germany and taking time off work in order to watch their team. And now this - a late switch to Gütersloh (I believe), with Bielefeld as the opponents. The cheapest return rail fare from Düsseldorf to Gütersloh is €60 for the saver, or €72 normal rate. Again, the convenience of the fans seems to have been given a very low priority, this includes our German supporters who were hoping to get to the Tuesday game.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #717 on: July 21, 2017, 06:42:41 PM »
What a fiasco

Really bad form

Online BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #718 on: July 21, 2017, 07:02:49 PM »
The Mail is reporting that one of the German games is off but I cannot see anything anywhere else?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-pre-season-game-13363820

Good job the Vitesse Arnhem game is off; we're playing Bristol City on 25th August!

Offline Herman

« Reply #719 on: July 21, 2017, 07:12:28 PM »
A bit of a balls up for those that had already booked travel and accomodation but I originally thought it was an odd choice of venue.  Luckily, Gütersloh is only 50km down the road from me so its all worked out swimmingly!

To anyone who has already planned the trip, Gütersloh isn't too far from Recklinghausen via train and will take just under 2 hours with one change.

https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal