collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve McClaren  (Read 10644 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Steve McClaren
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 01:36:33 PM »

BUT -- the Lerner Regime saw fit to appoint McLeish in face of the biggest backlash from fans in our History. So that actually proves that "fan-power" was not a factor.

There was virtually no backlash to TSM's appointment other than the assertion his record demonstrated that he was not up to the job. The backlash from fans only really manifested itself at Wigan away - in the February - when the team played particualrly poorly (and Bent got the injury from whcih he never really recovered as a Villa player).

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 02:19:07 PM »
Once he was here he was supported by fans but when he was appointed there was a backlash. Only appointment in my time that has led to fans protesting at the ground.

Offline KRS

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 02:26:32 PM »
Yet according to the media, we were all anti-TSM and didn't support him throughout his time at the club.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 02:38:44 PM »
As Mister E says, the support didn't start to turn on him until Wigan and Blackburn away, which were end of Feb and beginning of March. Home fans turned after Bolton, the 35th game of the season. But it's easier for the media to say we were always against him and turned because he was a nose, nothing to do with winning 4 of our last 27 league games under him, and only 7 league wins all season.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 03:36:05 PM »
Yes, but just imagine what he could have done with Randy's money.

Lol. Improved his weetabix thatch?

Offline peter w

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »
it's more shredded wheat I think.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 05:52:03 PM »
Yep, you're probably right there.

Fuck off.

Offline peter w

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2017, 08:02:04 PM »
Whatever happened to shredded wheat?

Offline papa lazarou

• GM : 06.11.2020
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 09:23:18 PM »
Its his hair island, his hair island.

Courtesy Athletico Mince

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2017, 10:59:48 PM »
I heard similar at the time. McClaren was a strong candidate, word got out which ruled him out and it got down to it either being Houllier or Curbishley. I put bets on both at the time to hedge my bets. Sadly I made money off McLeish being named manager too, as well as O'Neill leaving.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 11:17:23 PM »
As Mister E says, the support didn't start to turn on him until Wigan and Blackburn away, which were end of Feb and beginning of March. Home fans turned after Bolton, the 35th game of the season. But it's easier for the media to say we were always against him and turned because he was a nose, nothing to do with winning 4 of our last 27 league games under him, and only 7 league wins all season.

Didn't we have quite a decent start under TSM too? 5 or 6 games before we lost at the beginning of his tenure?

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 11:24:21 PM »
Started the season W2 D5 L0.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017, 09:39:49 AM »
I don't think we were particularly brilliant, though. I remember we were joking in the pub that we were aiming to be the "shittest Invincibles ever". Obviously, the run ended as soon as we played someone good. We had already lost at home to Bolton in the League Cup during our unbeaten phase, too.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2017, 11:32:32 AM »
I heard similar at the time. McClaren was a strong candidate, word got out which ruled him out and it got down to it either being Houllier or Curbishley. I put bets on both at the time to hedge my bets. Sadly I made money off McLeish being named manager too, as well as O'Neill leaving.

Just to recap we'd just finished 6th three times on the trot and all we could muster on the shortlist was Curbishley who hadn't worked since September 2008 and Houllier who last managed at Lyon in 2007. McClaren was the next summer.

I know MON walking out when he did caught them out on the hop and probably soured Lerner's "affection" for us but we were still in a reasonably strong position as a side regularly finishing in the top 6 could be and we really should've waited until a decent manager became available even if it meant keeping McDonald as caretaker until xmas.

That period really annoys me, our slide down the football wasn't inevitable if we'd have football nous on the board. Everton finishing in bottom half last two years and then going and getting Koeman from Southampton with minimum of fuss is a case in point.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2017, 11:47:57 AM »
Agreed with all the previous comments, I remember it being somewhat newsworthy at the time but it seems Martinez was first choice and then the board made it perfectly clear upon appointing McLeish they didn't give a crap about either footballing philosophy (how can you go directly from Martinez to McLeish with the same squad? They are polar opposites in how their teams play) or what the fans thought.  That said, I met McLeish once and he came across as the most charming man in the world, he's a genuinely lovely bloke.  I'm guessing he interviews very well and he aced the interview and got the job, but he should never have been on the shortlist.

My son met Mr McLeish for some charity match and said the same - a thoroughly decent man.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal