collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Post season thread  (Read 26764 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Post season thread
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2017, 04:55:31 PM »
He was bought in to get into the play offs.
We are not even close.
Abject failure, it will be the same next year unless the club get a grip and start making good decisions.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2017, 05:18:20 PM »
I've enjoyed winning a few games both under RDM and Bruce.
It felt good to win but agree with the frustrations of many on here...it's not been good enough

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2017, 05:19:15 PM »
I've read somewhere we're one of the favourites to go up next season. Based upon?
Finishing 13th?
Scoring 47 in 46?
Having players of the year Richards, Flabby and Bacuna still in the squad?

Im exasperated.

I like the combo of Bruce, Wyness and Dr T that have steadied the ship as we could have sank further. A few wins to build upon and some real shit to be wiped off the squad sheet.

I'm thankful for the Fulham game 1-0 after taking Mrs Remy for the first time ever and we won.
Brighton away we were magnificent and just wish we won that one.
Most of the TV live games were utter gash.

Please may we have a nice darker claret traditional kit for 17/18.

Online Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2017, 05:20:24 PM »
The most disappointing aspect of all is that none of the teams we played were significantly better than us so with a bit more skill, imagination and guile and some proper bloody coaching for once we would have pissed this league.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2017, 05:24:19 PM »
Average crouds of 32,000. Away grounds sold out all season. Amazing support. I honestly believe that we'll all come together next season.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2017, 05:25:23 PM »
The story of our season:

The Di Matteo Era  - L W D D L D D D D D L

All those lost points from winning positions was simultaneously unbelievable and so predictable.

Bruce Bounce - D W W D W D W L W L W W D

Did ok here, without being impressive.

Bruce  L L D L L L L L

Another series of results that has become too familiar

False Hope W W W L W W W W

We surely can't make the playoffs, can we?

On the Beach D L L W L D

Ended up 18 points (+GD) off a playoff position.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:26:56 PM by Tokyo Sexwhale »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2017, 05:26:13 PM »
I despair of this club - it's been in a spin for 7 excruciating years. I started following the Villa in 1967 so I've seen some dark times, but this period has been thoroughly energy-sapping.
This close-season, we need to bring in some decent coaches as a priority; agree what the club playing philosophy should be, and start the process of coaching and recruiting to that progressive playing philosophy.
Newcastle succeeded partly because they had an expansive playing approach: both RdM and SB have been too cautious in their approach.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2017, 05:39:04 PM »
Despite spending what we have, we have only managed to get rid of some of the shit, stabilise the club and put the brakes on a dreadful decline.  Like others have indicated, this is as low as as I want to see us go.  There is still work to do in getting more rubbish out. I hope Bruce can see it too although I am aware that he doesn't do bomb squads. Richards, Bacuna, Agbonlahor need to go. Grealish needs to wake up.  We still need something like five players in and I agree with Bruce that we need to strengthen in every area.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2017, 05:42:48 PM »
Last season was the worst Villa team in my lifetime. This season we're reaping the shit from 7 years of sabotage, but I still think this team is better than the Villa team from 12 months ago. It was always a big ask to come back at the first attempt and I think deep down we all knew it. Next season we'll be our promotion I think. Just my opinion, that's all. Bruce has a history of getting teams up however ugly those teams are. He'll do it, just give him the tools and stick by him.
I'd go along with that, word for word.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2017, 05:56:19 PM »
I said to Mr Woodhall before the game that I had found this season  even more painful than last season.  I find mid Championship mediocrity even more humiliating than relegation.  Last year we had the comfort blanket that the owner's money would enable us to bounce straight back.  That fantasy has evaporated and we are staring at more mediocrity next season.  Even Bruce's words to the crowd after the game limited him to saying they were going make us "a force in the Championship".  Talk about setting the bar low.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2017, 06:03:15 PM »
he's right though, Brian. In order to get back to the PL we have to become a force in the Chumps - an irresistible force who gain  promotion .

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2017, 06:03:23 PM »
Last season was the worst Villa team in my lifetime. This season we're reaping the shit from 7 years of sabotage, but I still think this team is better than the Villa team from 12 months ago. It was always a big ask to come back at the first attempt and I think deep down we all knew it. Next season we'll be our promotion I think. Just my opinion, that's all. Bruce has a history of getting teams up however ugly those teams are. He'll do it, just give him the tools and stick by him.
I'd go along with that, word for word.

And me

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2017, 06:09:40 PM »
he's right though, Brian. In order to get back to the PL we have to become a force in the Chumps - an irresistible force who gain  promotion .

We could have just decided to do it in twelve months like Newcastle did.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2017, 06:11:18 PM »
Away form is what's cost us. Only Reading have lost fewer at home.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2017, 06:12:48 PM »
Yes Mr U except he missed out the word "irresistible".   We really do need to think above our weight. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal