collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Post season thread  (Read 26765 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Post season thread
« on: May 07, 2017, 02:42:40 PM »
Thoughts on the season gone by and the summer ahead.

What do we need, where do we start? Not convinced by Bruce but there is no chance he's getting fired so may as well get used to that. But once again in the playing staff there will be a lot of change. It's a massively average league as evidenced today, and promotion will be the only goal next year.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:17:41 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline peter w

Re: Post season thread
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 02:45:57 PM »
This is the worse, and lowest, Villa have been in my lifetime. That we have only had a few seasons worse than this in our entire history shows the standing of the club in the pantheons of football, but also also how we've fallen in recent times. 

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 02:46:17 PM »
My initial reaction is that nothing has been particularly enjoyable about this season, save for Kodjia finding his shooting boots. From officials to bitter opposition fans to the turgid football from my own side, 2016/17 has been one massive waste of my time.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 02:46:23 PM »
The first thing we need is a few weeks break without having to think / worry / get completely exasperated by football.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 02:49:50 PM »
Last season was the worst Villa team in my lifetime. This season we're reaping the shit from 7 years of sabotage, but I still think this team is better than the Villa team from 12 months ago. It was always a big ask to come back at the first attempt and I think deep down we all knew it. Next season we'll be our promotion I think. Just my opinion, that's all. Bruce has a history of getting teams up however ugly those teams are. He'll do it, just give him the tools and stick by him.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 02:50:15 PM »
It's the 7th worst season in our history if you go by league placings, finishing 33rd in English football this season.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 02:50:21 PM »
The first thing we need is a few weeks break without having to think / worry / get completely exasperated by football.

Hear hear.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 02:50:25 PM »
I've no  intention of worrying about Villa for a while with cricket and tennis to look forward to, but a lot of players should leave and a few quality signings have to come in, not least up front.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 02:53:39 PM »
Rubbish really. We desperately need an identity.

Offline supertom

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 02:57:10 PM »
It's not last season bad. But given it's the second tier, it's worse than anything else I've witnessed with Villa in 27 years (I didn't see the last time we were in the second level).
47 goals in 46 games. That says a lot to me. RDM was too cautious and couldn't find a way to get our attacking players gel. Bruce has made our defence better (but still frustratingly prone to individual self destruction) but at the same time has been far too dour. Even off the back of his better runs where you would imagine we'd start to build on a solid base and be more adventurous going forward, he's then gone into certain games with our back to the wall, playing far too deep, we've got beat and then gone on shit runs as a consequence.

We need a more progressive manager. Someone younger and a bit more adventurous. We need to stop wasting money on overpriced players. 4-5 reasonable players for next season. Keep our best players in the summer. Fresh approach from a rising manager and then hopefully we'll see a progression.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 02:58:24 PM »
I've no  intention of worrying about Villa for a while with cricket and tennis to look forward to, but a lot of players should leave and a few quality signings have to come in, not least up front.

Whilst he is means our worst player bacuna can do one embarrassing again

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 03:03:57 PM »
Despite what we think of it, our defence is decent for this level, 5th fewest goals conceded and a number of those were gifts from us.
Attacking though, we've spent most of the season looking disjointed and relying on a player, usually Kod, to do something special. It's why we're 21st for goals scored with only sha, Rotherham and Wigan scoring less.

What I most wanted, if we didn't go up, was to have enthusiasm and optimism for next season, must admit that I don't have either.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 03:10:12 PM »
Dismal season. To not even finish top half is criminal.

I do however think we'll be up there challenging next year. I know it dosen't look very likely currently but there's plenty of examples of teams who've struggled and then risen up to the top 6 the next year.

I don't think championship will be as strong next season due to who has gone up and who is coming down. I wouldn't be scared of Sunderland, Boro or Hull at all.

Lots of work to do though, there's no dressing it up any other way.

Offline ez

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »
Given the poor quality of the championship generally i'd like to think it's a fine line between where we have just finished and challenging for promotion. A fine line that a club like us should be able to cross.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 03:20:07 PM »
Total shit for me, i hate the division and havent enjoyed any of it

13th is criminal

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal