collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VICTORY THREAD - Aston Villa 1-0 Birmingham  (Read 36975 times)

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Re: VICTORY THREAD - Aston Villa 1-0 Birmingham
« Reply #285 on: April 25, 2017, 09:06:44 AM »
There were two blokes in the Upper Holte by us who refused to sit down despite being told by everybody else and the stewards to. One of them in particular was an absolute arsehole. Eventually, after a lot of arguing with the stewards and hurling abuse at everyone around him, they were thrown out.

Makes me glad that I don't frequent the Upper Holte with you yobbos tbh.

Much more civilised in the Lower Holte (although there were Villa fans fighting each other right by us).

I don't sit in the upper very often, and my seats were near the back. I won't be in a rush to sit there again. Couple of people were just horrid, taking things way too far.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #286 on: April 25, 2017, 09:37:44 AM »

Great atmosphere in the Upper North. It's a shame that that, usually, half empty stand isn't used more to generate an atmosphere by encouraging an upper ASBO corner.
I agree. Make tickets up there £10-£20 and get some singers in there by the away fans. The lads in the Upper Holte are wasted as the away fans can't hear them when they're singing away on their own.

I had a ST in the Upper North throughout the MON years and it could be rocking for big games, the SHA 5-1 and beating Chelsea 2-0 before Jose first got the sack spring to mind.

I've actually renewed my ST for next season back up there as I've got my 8 year old  lad his first ST and he can get a decent view from there, with an ok atmosphere due to having some Villa singers below.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #287 on: April 25, 2017, 10:17:24 AM »
Surely if you go in the Upper Holte against Small Heath you've got to expect and accept people standing up? It's widely accepted that all of the lower Holte, lower North and most of the upper Holte stand against them. Even some of the upper North stood all game.

Offline paul richard

« Reply #288 on: April 25, 2017, 11:31:18 AM »
After sober reflection, some thoughts about Sunday:

A rare excursion for me to the Trinity Upper.  Hopeless catering.  Lengthy queues, overcrowding on the concourse, and I had to do without my pre-match cup of tea.
Birmingham City are a very poor team.
Unfortunately, so are we.  The back 6 (including Jedinak holding in midfield) look sound enough, but the front 5 look woefully limited.  We won't get promoted with this team.
We missed Kodjia horribly.
Jedinak should trying playing 5 yds further forward.  At times he's so deep he is virtually a central defender.
I can't work out whether Hogan is any good or not.  He had no service whatever, so it's hard to judge. 
Our midfield is non-existent.  I thought shipping out Westwood and bringing Hourihane and Lansbury would make a difference.  It hasn't.  Our ball retention and creativity in this area is shocking. 
Lansbury looks half-arsed.
If Hourihane really can't get in ahead of Bacuna then I'm worried.  Bacuna is an abysmal player.  The touch of a rapist. 
Adomah is lightweight and ineffective.  We need an upgrade in this position.
Jack looks like he's playing within himself.  Not established in the team, low on confidence, playing to order.  Where is the player who shone at Wembley in the SF?

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #289 on: April 25, 2017, 11:40:45 AM »

A rare excursion for me to the Trinity Upper.  Hopeless catering.  Lengthy queues, overcrowding on the concourse, and I had to do without my pre-match cup of tea.
Unfortunately, so are we.  The back 6 (including Jedinak holding in midfield) look sound enough, but the front 5 look woefully limited.  We won't get promoted with this team.
Jedinak should trying playing 5 yds further forward.  At times he's so deep he is virtually a central defender.
I can't work out whether Hogan is any good or not.  He had no service whatever, so it's hard to judge. 
Our midfield is non-existent.  I thought shipping out Westwood and bringing Hourihane and Lansbury would make a difference.  It hasn't.  Our ball retention and creativity in this area is shocking. 
If Hourihane really can't get in ahead of Bacuna then I'm worried.  Bacuna is an abysmal player.  The touch of a rapist. 
Jack looks like he's playing within himself.  Not established in the team, low on confidence, playing to order.  Where is the player who shone at Wembley in the SF?

Pretty much what I thought. Lansbury does make the odd good run or the odd good pass. The problem is nobody looks up, or he doesn't get enough of the ball to do anything with it. There's a decent player there, we just need to play through the middle more and not out wide. Adomah has been shocking lately, not seen him do anything of note. Bacuna the same. How is he still in the side?

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #290 on: April 25, 2017, 11:48:50 AM »

Pretty much what I thought. Lansbury does make the odd good run or the odd good pass. The problem is nobody looks up, or he doesn't get enough of the ball to do anything with it. There's a decent player there, we just need to play through the middle more and not out wide. Adomah has been shocking lately, not seen him do anything of note. Bacuna the same. How is he still in the side?
Surely that all point to Bruce?

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #291 on: April 25, 2017, 11:59:49 AM »
I think there's a lot of work to be done in the summer. They'll be players in and out, and we have to sign players who can actually cross a ball. Hogan was hopeless but where was the delivery to him? It was non existent.

Offline paul richard

« Reply #292 on: April 25, 2017, 12:38:10 PM »
Exactly.  So it was hard to judge him, let alone write him off as hopeless.  We know he can perform at this level on the basis of his form for Brentford earlier this season.  Judge him if/when he gets better service. 

Offline Chris Stares

« Reply #293 on: April 26, 2017, 10:58:17 AM »
The big limitation for me is that we have nobody who is willing/able to come short and take the ball off the 'keeper (not just in this game, but pretty much every game).  There are ample opportunities for one of the midfilders or even the centre halves to take the ball short and then try to build up.  The problem is, nobody is able technically (Jedinak for instance) to do this on a regular basis, or those that are able (possibly Lansbury) seem to be unwilling.  Consequently, we resort to consistently, soul-crushingly launching it long to the 5' 6" Hogan to try and win the ball in the air (not that anyone is really alive to any flick ons if he was even in with the remotest possibility of winning the ball in the air).  Invariably that strategy fails so we end up turning over possession to the opposition who then proceed to pass and move their way back into our half.  It's almost Pulis-esque in it anti-football-ness (if that's even a word).  At least Westwood had some modicum of touch to come short and take the ball to try and generate some passing momentum by playing through our midfield.  I remember Lansbury's first game when Westie was still a Villa player - the combination was actually quite dynamic (relatively speaking!) until Lansbury ran out of gas as he hadn't played for quite a while.  Now, I'm not saying Westwood is the solution, but we really lack that dynamic busybody in midfield that is constantly providing an option/outlet to build through passing and movement, like, dare I say it, Barry Bannan, or Ryan Woods at Brentford.  Of course, in order for a player like that to be effective, the players around him would also need to move and take up intelligent positions as well.  We are very pedestrian, lumbering and one-dimensional.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal