collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by eamonn
[Today at 02:24:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Smithy
[Today at 02:22:38 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Monty
[Today at 02:21:01 PM]

Re: Reserves and Academy 2023/24 by Smithy
[Today at 02:20:50 PM]

Re: Crystal Palace by chrisw1
[Today at 02:19:55 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Keeno
[Today at 02:19:35 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 02:18:21 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Richard
[Today at 02:17:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tribute to Ugo  (Read 3717 times)

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Tribute to Ugo
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 10:04:05 AM »
There is a big difference between showing respect on a fan forum and at a game when the less literate of their fan base is full of alcohol.
Agreed. Their supporters that I know have treated it with huge dignity to a person so far however 4 hours of prior drinking and we know what some  football fans are like including our own.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 10:14:52 AM »
I know this makes me old fashioned but I would have preferred a minute's silence to applause. It is more respectful and in the absence of noise the reality of the collective loss we suffer from the person's departure fills the space .

Majority in the stadium would respect the silence but when there's quiet it only takes 1 or 2 to disrupt and you hear everything and that sets off some who are quiet. From my experience it tends to be the people coming in late to the ground from the pub who don't realise there's a silence that disrupts it and that would be a big issue tomorrow.

I think applause is sensible. One that surprises me is there is now applause for the Hillsborough disaster.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 10:18:57 AM »
Agree Aftab.  It cuts both ways.  There is nobody on Heroes and Villains who would sing the Tracey Andrews song but there will be those tomorrow who do or try to.

Offline pipe

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 10:28:08 AM »
Agree with you Brian Green. I know a couple of lads who sing that song when they have  had a few and think its funny when I ask them to stop. Rest of the time you could not have two nicer blokes to have a drink with. Like you say cuts both ways

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2017, 10:28:57 AM »
There is a big difference between showing respect on a fan forum and at a game when the less literate of their fan base is full of alcohol.
"less  literate" is there a blues fan who has a CSE to his/her name? 

Its okay on a fans forum moderation but on the day their hatred for us (okay jealousy) is without boundaries.

If possible a minutes applause but a minute of silence will be interrupted.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2017, 10:50:08 AM »
While I prefer the silence I agree with the applause for this game. With higher security etc you know there will probably be more late arrivals than usual so there's a high chance of unintended disruption. There may be the odd dick in their support who'd say something deliberately but I think it's unlikely. I also think while they won't disrupt it, a lot more won't applaud than would observe the silence impeccably. And I don't have a problem with that, if it was for say, Paul Tait, I don't think i'd applaud but I would observe the silence.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2017, 11:14:36 AM »
At football matches, I think that applause if more appropriate than silence.

There's often people who accidentally interrupt a silence because they're still in the concourse or making their way to their seats. This then leads to people in the crowd making shushing noises, which is more of an interruption than the original noise.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 11:59:50 AM »
I remember being at St Andrews shortly after their player, Cisse(?), lost a number of his family in a ferry disaster in his home country.

A Villa fan near the front started doing a front crawl action and singing 'Can't swim, Can't swim'. Other Villa fans quickly shouted him down and called him a sick idiot - but yes, we all have our idiots.

A minutes silence would be what we wanted, but it only takes one idiot amongst their number, and the hostility I'd ratcheted up because 'they' have no respect. Most of them have, just like most of us, but there is no way all have.

Online exigo

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2017, 04:19:22 PM »
I've dug out my 96 AST home shirt and, remarkably, it still fits. I'll be wearing it in tribute tomorrow.

Offline jcsutv

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 12:14:26 AM »
I think there will be loads of Ugo chants tomorrow. Probably more than most in the 16th minute.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2017, 01:34:31 AM »
I thin a minutes Ugo chants of 40,000 or even half of that will drown out the odd few noses who want to make a point. I agree entirely with Dave Woodall on this, the Blues fans have shown nothing but respect and rightly so, I am sure we would do the same.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2017, 06:28:43 AM »
I think a glance over to the away end during the applause will confirm the vast majority of their fans joining in.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
I think a glance over to the away end during the applause will confirm the vast majority of their fans joining in.

Therein lies the problem.  For a minutes silence to work you need everyone to join in, not just the vast majority.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2017, 11:13:57 AM »
I like the new trend of applauding.  It drones out any idiots.  I'm sure the majority of Blues supporters will be respectful, but there are at least a few idiots at every club.  Am looking forward to what should be a special tribute. 

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2017, 11:35:59 AM »
People feel sad and want to think of Ugo in quiet reflection. Everyone has a duty to observe a minute's silence. Applause doesn't give the same reverence and is arguably less respectful - not clapping is easier to do than not staying quiet.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal