collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tribute to Ugo  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Tribute to Ugo
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:00:28 PM »
In addition to the minutes applause before kick-off, when the clock shows the 16th minute let's all have a sustained 60 seconds of "Ugo!" as an additional tribute.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Tribute to Ugo
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 06:28:17 AM »
Nice idea but remember who we are playing.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 07:03:09 AM »
I know this makes me old fashioned but I would have preferred a minute's silence to applause. It is more respectful and in the absence of noise the reality of the collective loss we suffer from the person's departure fills the space .

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 07:05:53 AM »
I know this makes me old fashioned but I would have preferred a minute's silence to applause. It is more respectful and in the absence of noise the reality of the collective loss we suffer from the person's departure fills the space .

I agree but it's not a good idea versus the filth.

Offline brian green

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 07:19:02 AM »
They will sabotage a Ugo chant.  They would without a doubt sabotage a minute's silence.  Club has got it right.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 08:16:22 AM »
They will sabotage a Ugo chant.  They would without a doubt sabotage a minute's silence.  Club has got it right.

All I've seen from them is respect.  But let's ignore that, keep on calling them scum and filth, and complain about the inconvenience that surrounds this fixture. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 08:20:02 AM »

All I've seen from them is respect.  But let's ignore that, keep on calling them scum and filth, and complain about the inconvenience that surrounds this fixture.

Let's see what happens at the game.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 08:27:14 AM »

I have to say that's all I've seen so far, it's actually been quite uplifting, like there is hope for humanity after all.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 08:36:33 AM »
Like any club, they've got their fair share of twats (the football arrest statistics would actually suggest they've got more than their fair share). 

Given the animosity between the two clubs the risk of some idiots messing up a minutes silence is definitely higher so whilst I'd prefer a silence, a minutes applause is probably the right answer.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 08:46:06 AM »
Most of the posts I've seen on SHA are respectful and also make the point about a minutes silence being more appropriate. 

There was one idiot who suggested they start a spontaneous outburst of KRO during the tribute but he was quickly put in his place by subsequent posters.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 08:52:26 AM »
I think it under estimates people to think they couldn't or wouldn't observe a minutes silence for someone who has passed away. 

Actually think there is more danger that they'll sing keep right on through the applause in a misguided show of respect that will antagonise more. 

If we choose to applaud in 16th minute then that's what WE should do, at that point they will be watching a game and can do what they want, chances are they wouldn't even recognise any significance to the minute.  As we used to see with the Petrov applause each week some completely missed the point, they were more focused on whether the opposing fans showed respect than using that minute to reflect on why they were applauding.

For me for that one minute I'll focus on the fact a guy in the prime of his life with a family who loved him has been taken prematurely - selfishly I will probably also think about how lucky we were back in the 90's to watch a team who would defend.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 08:53:46 AM »
The people who brought in a banner to celebrate somebody being run over. Trust them in their cup final?

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 09:37:33 AM »
The knuckledraggers sang their boring dirge during the tribute for the pub bombings families at their place. This time we will have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Offline brian green

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 09:52:14 AM »
There is a big difference between showing respect on a fan forum and at a game when the less literate of their fan base is full of alcohol.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 10:00:38 AM »
Yes I agree it allows for reflection and thinking. Always been a bit miffed at applause idea.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal