collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ugo Ehiogu - RIP  (Read 34103 times)

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
Re: Ugo Ehiogu - RIP
« Reply #195 on: April 21, 2017, 09:29:44 PM »
Not sure if it's right or wrong but about this time last year I heard the news that my 28 year old nephew had been killed in a car crash and I felt obviously devastated but  physically sick. I had the same feeling this morning when I heard this news.

There's probably some kind of psychological explanation, that's beyond me right now, hearing about deaths of people who are younger than me seems wrong.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #196 on: April 21, 2017, 09:32:20 PM »
fantastic player and big unit,
must be one of the biggest we've had in modern times he's definitely bigger than Big Ben maybe John Carew but Ugo was probably taller

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #197 on: April 21, 2017, 09:46:37 PM »
I loved him, a fantastic centre half. You'd think he was beaten and then he'd cover half pitch in about 5 strides, wrap one of those massive legs in front of the other player and expertly stick it out for a throw.

Imperious, we were so blessed at the centre half for years it seemed, but he was second only to God.

Rest in peace.

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #198 on: April 21, 2017, 09:49:24 PM »
I served Ugo at the checkout in Sainsbury's Mere Green when he was rumoured to be off to Boro. I wittered on, totally star struck, about how he can't leave because Southgate wasn't half the player without Ugo next to him. After amusing me off he went only to return 5 minutes later to inform me I forgot to give him his £50 cash back. Being so young and star struck I was totally mortified but he laughed it off.

I've managed to get a 5m x 3m banner printed in time for use in The Holte on Saturday with permission from the club. It's simply a graphic of him with no text in order to keep it neutral. Apparently the players are going to pictured with it prior to the game. I hope it doesn't offend anyone I just think that he was such a colossus for us that he deserved this tribute in such a high profile fixture.

Online ldavfc4eva

« Reply #199 on: April 21, 2017, 09:54:22 PM »
One of the great players of my childhood, i started following villa when I was about 9 towards the End of the 94/95 season, so my first season proper was 95/96, a season we as a club have never matched.

Ugo along with Southgate and McGrath formed the best centre half trio I have ever seen, along with the best defence we have had since I started following Villa in my opinion.

An immense player to have not only at the back but also attacking corners, always seemed a decent enough man off the Pitch when interviewed too.

Rest in peace Ugo. Best wishes to his family at this time.

Online ldavfc4eva

« Reply #200 on: April 21, 2017, 09:55:21 PM »
Fair play ACvilla for the banner, it will be part of a fitting tribute I'm sure

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2017, 10:00:04 PM »

What banner?

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2017, 10:34:32 PM »
Absolutely devastated, a Hero from my youth, even though my age. Loved him, my first car was nick named Ugo. My thoughts are with his family, god knows how they feel. RIP

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2017, 10:47:31 PM »

What banner?

The one mentioned 3 posts above yours.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:51:08 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Online devilla

• GM : Nov, 2012
« Reply #204 on: April 21, 2017, 10:51:37 PM »
This was shocking news. It was such a privilege to watch Ugo with God and Southgate back in the day, they were a formidable defensive uit.

Taken at such a young age. My thoughts are with his firiends and family. Sunday is going to be even more emotional now.

RIP Ugo.

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #205 on: April 21, 2017, 10:59:55 PM »
It is with great sadness that we're reading another young ex villa has passed.

I was a kid and big Ugo gave me his autograph, so damn happy I was. I remember him keeping Shaun Teale out of the team with big Ron refusing to drop him.

I remember fondly the blades away one game and they had this ferret in midfield who zipped past our midfield until....man mountain Ugo stepped forward and the ferret just bounced off him sending him sprawling. You ain't getting past me son his body seemed to say.

I remember us going top of the league thanks to Ugo's 87th min winner via corner v Owls I think - might have time and place wrong but sure do remember celebrating the goal.

Goodbye Ugo, thanks for the memories, God bless you.😢

The tackle you mention, was that the game against Sheffield United in the cup, the one where Yorke scored that cheeky chipped penalty?  If so, I was just going to post the same thing.  It was the hardest fair tackle I think I've ever seen.  He absolutely poleaxed the opposition player, it must have felt like being hit by a freight train. I was watching the game with a couple of non Villa supporting mates, and we all winced in unison at that one.

Yeah it was that cup game.

Another fond memory was we played Leeds at home I think and Ugo was out. Barry filled in and their nasty centre forward swatted Barry aside like a fly. Short time later we play them again and Ugo is in and their striker couldn't shrug him off. Big, powerful presence I will always remember him by.

I'm not able to go to Sunday's game, if somebody could post a pic of the banner on here that'd be great.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #206 on: April 21, 2017, 11:42:15 PM »
I served Ugo at the checkout in Sainsbury's Mere Green when he was rumoured to be off to Boro. I wittered on, totally star struck, about how he can't leave because Southgate wasn't half the player without Ugo next to him. After amusing me off he went only to return 5 minutes later to inform me I forgot to give him his £50 cash back. Being so young and star struck I was totally mortified but he laughed it off.

I've managed to get a 5m x 3m banner printed in time for use in The Holte on Saturday with permission from the club. It's simply a graphic of him with no text in order to keep it neutral. Apparently the players are going to pictured with it prior to the game. I hope it doesn't offend anyone I just think that he was such a colossus for us that he deserved this tribute in such a high profile fixture.

Well done AC, brilliant!

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2017, 12:33:15 AM »
Fab player and a nice bloke. Holte Enders in the sky. RIP.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #208 on: April 22, 2017, 01:17:15 AM »
I was devestated as it was, but Paul Merson has just broken my heart.

Offline bugdozer

• I was a teenage armchair (̶H̶o̶n̶v̶e̶d̶) Villa fan
« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2017, 01:33:57 AM »
RIP Ugo

You were ace.

and bollocks to *l*n Sh**r*r
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:36:37 AM by bugdozer »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal