collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chris Sutton  (Read 4590 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Chris Sutton
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 07:56:39 AM »
I think SE that you are being too generous to him.  Mind numbingly self regarding language by the yard.  What S J Perelman called the spinning of merchandizable threads.  I would not open the book with chopsticks but I bet the first line reads "It was on a dark and stormy night that Mrs Sutton first felt her son begin his journey into the world.   A journey that would......."

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 09:30:05 AM »
Darren H&V reads plenty of football autobiogs, I don't think it's fair to criticise Chris' one til we get the expert verdict.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 09:40:40 AM »
Can't argue with too much of that. He is however a moron on BT and 5 live, not a fan of him as a pundit at all.

Another player we signed too late really like Robbie Keane, Ginola etc. Didn't Gregory try to sign him in the late 90s when he was at Blackburn.

Ron Atkinson tried to buy him, I think in 93. Like Shearer before him, we wouldn't pay the asking price but Blackburn paid significantly more a year later. The rest, as they say...

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 10:05:02 AM »
It's probably the dullest collection of sentences I've read this month.

Aren't they just.

Has any footballer ever written an autobiography really worth reading and persevering with?   

Offline Boz

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 10:07:04 AM »
Can't argue with too much of that. He is however a moron on BT and 5 live, not a fan of him as a pundit at all.

Another player we signed too late really like Robbie Keane, Ginola etc. Didn't Gregory try to sign him in the late 90s when he was at Blackburn.

Totally agree, he's a self serving twat who has a high opinion of his less than worthless comments on players and matches he watches. He's even worse than Murphy and Jenas IMO.

Offline somec

• GM : 01.08.2020
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 11:04:20 AM »

Aren't they just.

Has any footballer ever written an autobiography really worth reading and persevering with?

I found Collymore's book interesting. He does come across as a bit of a tool in it though.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 11:10:26 AM »

Totally agree, he's a self serving twat who has a high opinion of his less than worthless comments on players and matches he watches. He's even worse than Murphy and Jenas IMO.

Steady on, few things in life are as bad as Jenas giving his opinions.  He's a right snarky little chav.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 11:17:41 AM »

Aren't they just.

I found Collymore's book interesting. He does come across as a bit of a tool in it though.

I bought Tony Adams's thinking this should be more than your run of the mill retired footballer's story with him and his drinking, prison sentence and such. Very soon it became abundantly clear that Adams was a prat. A prat looking for sympathy. Half way through I began to hate him and soon after chucked it. 

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
I think Pirlo's book is meant to be good.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 12:34:29 PM »

Aren't they just.

Back From The Brink is the obvious one.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 01:54:59 PM »
Di Canio's is a good read. Merson's is ok, too.

Offline Pete

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 02:15:18 PM »

Aren't they just.

I recently picked up the Steve Claridge one, Tales From the Boot Camps, for a quid in a charity shop. It was actually a really good read.I'd never realised just how chaotic his life was.

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 04:58:11 PM »
I recall Isaiah being featured in 442 magazine as one to watch. Could that really have been around the start of the 00's?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 05:53:42 PM »

Aren't they just.

Back From The Brink is the obvious one.

This.  A tremendous book.

Online nigel

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 07:18:40 PM »
I agree with his thoughts on Petrov, some fans were soon on his back.

I disagree slightly.  I genuinely admire the man for what he has been through and the way he dealt with it and he has become a cult figure, but I think he was a bit on the slow side to play a more advanced role in the English top flight and he struggled until he moved to a deeper role.

I, like Chris Sutton, thought Stan was a wonderful player.
There were times in games where I'd just follow him. His vision and awareness were above any other player, if not on the pitch, then certainly in a Villa shirt.
There was one game where he received a crap, too fast, waist high pass. Instead of trying to pass it on, or get it to ground, he flicked the ball above just head height with his knee, looked around, realised he now had time, got the ball on the floor and made a delightful pass. Wonderful piece of skill that was lost on everyone around me.
He did that sort of thing every game, too.

I agree, Tom, he wasn't the quickest, but his speed of thought was way quicker. In his advanced roll I don't think we had players quick enough in mind and it exposed him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal